It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The single most frightening experience of my life.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am a very methodical and practical kind of guy. I am a firm believer in Occams Razor, and usually, this approach with anything out of the ordinary will keep me grounded and calm.

However a couple of months ago, the above failed me.

I was asleep in bed, and my fiancee was down stairs.

As I lay on my back with my eyes closed, I suddenly felt ice cold breath on the back of my neck. I could see nothing but pitch darkness. A voice whispered, "There is no escape now".

Now I couldnt move and in an attempt to rationlise it, I opened my eyes.

As I did this, "The voice" said, and I remember very clearly "Don't try and be a college boy about this" I assume it was insinuating I was trying to be clever by getting out of the darkness by opening my eyes.

Now I was awake, but my body was still asleep, so I was paralysed.

I saw my fiancee enter the room and walk through into our en suite.

I then realised I could still hear her downstairs on the phone.

In a panic I screamed as loud as I could, still fully aware of what was happening.

Then I woke up properly. My fiancee was sitting over me with a very concerned look on her face.

Apparently she had heard a muffled groan (to me screaming at the top of my voice) and came upstairs to find my right arm locked in the air, she couldnt wake me or move my arm.

I am not a religious person and have researched similar experiences from people who suffer from sleep paralysis or "Old hag syndrome" as folklore would tell you. It is the bit inbetween being awake and being asleep.

Purgatory of snoozland.

But I tell you this, I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I no longer sleep on my back as that appears to be a kind of trigger.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

What I also found odd was I am from the UK and I do not refer to people who go to university as "college" people.

We call them students.

If it was an entity, It was most likely American ;-)

You swines!

Briles

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Sleep paralysis.

I've had this happen before and it's scary.
Feels like there's something evil next to you and you can't move.
You try to scream but nothing happens.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Definitely Sleep Paralysis! My worst nightmare! If you'll excuse the pun!
Sleeping on my back or being overtired is definitely a trigger for my SP experiences!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I wish I could have something like that happen to me. That entity would be angry when I would inevitably start laughing my ass off.

Yeah, I'm just that opened minded about stuff

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

Briles, I had an almost identical incident.

*Please Note, Before this incident 3-4 months ago, nothing previously paranormal had ever occurred in my life*

I to was laid on my back attempting to fall asleep, when after around 5-10 minutes with my eyes closed. I heard a voice which said "Its all lies" in long drawn out whisper tone, it felt like the entity was all around me, then I opened my eyes, I couldn't move or speak, I attempted to scream only to discover it sounded like mere groan.

Please note, I had recently broke up with a long term girlfriend and moved in with the parents for a few weeks*

The entity then told me "Dont fight me, I will help you" (In the same terrifying tone, which was impossible to believe what this creature was saying). After another 5-10 minutes just listening to something moving rapidly around the room I woke up.

I was completely terrified because I never really thought our physical world could connect with the spiritual, I went down stairs shortly after to sneakily roll up a questionable barely illegal herb.

Regards,

TOT

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
I wish I could have something like that happen to me. That entity would be angry when I would inevitably start laughing my ass off.

Haha!

I was once like you, I always thought I would be all bravado and laugh in the face of the "paranormal"

In reality I did a little metaphorical poo.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by The0nlytruth

Briles, I had an almost identical incident.

*Please Note, Before this incident 3-4 months ago, nothing previously paranormal had ever occurred in my life*

I to was laid on my back attempting to fall asleep, when after around 5-10 minutes with my eyes closed. I heard a voice which said "Its all lies" in long drawn out whisper tone, it felt like the entity was all around me, then I opened my eyes, I couldn't move or speak, I attempted to scream only to discover it sounded like mere groan.

Please note, I had recently broke up with a long term girlfriend and moved in with the parents for a few weeks*

The entity then told me "Dont fight me, I will help you" (In the same terrifying tone, which was impossible to believe what this creature was saying). After another 5-10 minutes just listening to something moving rapidly around the room I woke up.

I was completely terrified because I never really thought our physical world could connect with the spiritual, I went down stairs shortly after to sneakily roll up a questionable barely illegal herb.

Regards,

TOT

Man thats creepy.

Out of all of the experiences i've read, your seems the most similiar.

Although surely prolonged use of your questionable barely illegal herb, means that furniture can talk to you on occassion ;-)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I sleep on my back all the time and have never experienced SP, so apparently there must be some other kind of trigger. Now I have had surreal dreams that seemed pretty damn convincing, I could feel the wind and temperatures on my face and smell the air and it was just like I was really there, but I wasn't paralyzed. I've also had dreams within dreams which is a crazy experience when you're having a nightmare, and you think you have woken up, but the nightmare continues until you really do wakeup. I don't think the human brain is something we will ever understand.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207

Haha!

I was once like you, I always thought I would be all bravado and laugh in the face of the "paranormal"

In reality I did a little metaphorical poo.

I envy you, I WANT to see the paranormal. Even if it scares the piss out of me. I believe in a myriad of things that most people would say can't be true. I just want to experience something like that firsthand.

I know there is more to existence than we know.

I will say I won't be asking to see things from "any" source. I won't mess with any powers out there considering I believe there are things out there that could drive a person insane just from a simple glimpse.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Sorry I had a chuckle there but do take you very serious I suffered such attack's for several years and yes they are of paranormal nature, in my case I am stronger there than here so was able each and every time to force whatever it was off though for me it was like somebody literally sitting on My head and trying to suffocate me, I would force it off in anger and wake up gasping with my head very hot, the voice of these entities lack any real intelligence and when and if you are ever able to communicate with them (it usually happens to latent potential telepaths and no you cant read people mind's or at least I can not though I would choose not too) or in family's were one or more member's is latent and the entity's see it as a window or are attracted by this, they are actually feeding on you like spiritual parasites.
I do not know if they are truly spirits and in my experienced find them to be actually quite thick if you can talk to them and they are not very humane in nature so though I do believe in the spirit I believe these are creatures from a near or lower plane that may be a evolution in part of an eco system we can not even conceive of but that somehow feed on our life form's conscious energy? or what ever it is. what level we occupy on that food chain is not known to me but I intend to try to find there weaknesses and as a sentient being if we do somehow survive death on this plane then I intend to try to find a way to make these parasites extinct unless they are somehow symbiotic assuming we are still sentient over on that plane.
edit on 2-7-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Sleep paralysis is a way for the rational crowd to say something completely creepy just happened to you ,but it wasn't real .
Problem is ,it was real . What can ya do

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
Sleep paralysis is a way for the rational crowd to say something completely creepy just happened to you ,but it wasn't real .
Problem is ,it was real . What can ya do

Oh well thats cheered me right up, thanks!

ha!

I dont know, I gues syou're right. It is a collective phenomena so I suppose it has to have a label.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LABTECH767

Sorry I had a chuckle there but do take you very serious I suffered such attack's for several years and yes they are of paranormal nature, in my case I am stronger there than here so was able each and every time to force whatever it was off though for me it was like somebody literally sitting on My head and trying to suffocate me, I would force it off in anger and wake up gasping with my head very hot, the voice of these entities lack any real intelligence and when and if you are ever able to communicate with them (it usually happens to latent potential telepaths and no you cant read people mind's or at least I can not though I would choose not too) or in family's were one or more member's is latent and the entity's see it as a window or are attracted by this, they are actually feeding on you like spiritual parasites.
I do not know if they are truly spirits and in my experienced find them to be actually quite thick if you can talk to them and they are not very humane in nature so though I do believe in the spirit I believe these are creatures from a near or lower plane that may be a evolution in part of an eco system we can not even conceive of but that somehow feed on our life form's conscious energy? or what ever it is. what level we occupy on that food chain is not known to me but I intend to try to find there weaknesses and as a sentient being if we do somehow survive death on this plane then I intend to try to find a way to make these parasites extinct unless they are somehow symbiotic assuming we are still sentient over on that plane.
edit on 2-7-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

Interesting take on it.

It intrigues me the many opinions and explanations from people who have suffered with it vary so much, yet inplaces are almost identical.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Heh .Sorry ,but I do not subscribe to sleep paralysis ,because I've been completely awake when this has occured to me.
I just cannot move ,which is beyond frustrating . Also ,the voice is quite real ,and in my world ,the ow.er of the voice is not a very nice entity . If you have these experiences ,chances are good you have a degree of clairvoyance .It's why they target you . Children are better sport though ,as their defenses are weaker .
I usually don't discuss my beliefs in these areas ,as non believers post a lot of alleged scientific jargon ,that means riddle squat to me ,as its just a way to explain it for the masses who refuse to believe in other possible explanations . I learned to protect myself from such attacks ,so I haven't had one in decades.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

How do you yourself protect yourself against this??

I use the scientific methods but would be interested to know how you went about it?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

That is what I do when I go through this experience. I give in to it, so the fear simply goes away. It doesn't make the experience any more fun tho, it's still unpleasant to say the least, even when you know it's not real, and you know nothing can happen.

But calling all of the negative feelings into one nightmare entity and mocking it, removes the terror..

Much like defining negative feelings in waking life can alter the tone of the entire feeling.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

Interesting did you ever suffer dislocation as you suffered this, I mean did you ever have OOBE or enter another plane like the dark place with mist about waist height and the ancient ladder that seems to reach up forever, every one has similar but different, My paralysis was like being frozen solid but you could move though very slowly and as you do you get angrier and angrier, awakening with a jolt, then usually you are that tired you just go back to sleep with a mumbled anger with whatever or whoever it is and no small annoyance.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have sleep paralysis nearly 1/3 of the time during a daytime nap. Never happens UNLESS I am on my back. I haven't ever heard anyone speaking to me nor did I ever see anyone. A couple of times I have felt that I was lifted up out of the bed and let drop a few times in a row. Usually, I feel that I open my eyes and get up out of bed, to find out that I am still in the same spot... repeatedly until I REALIZE I am in sleep paralysis. At that point, I have found that the only way out of it is to force hyperventilation as that is the only part of me that moves. The forced hyperventilation after a few seconds will jolt another body part and bring me out of it. I often wonder if I were to let go and take advantage of it... could I have an OBE?! Cool and scary at the same time. I never have sleep paralysis *after* waking. It is always in that *pre* sleep time when I am fighting, knowing I need to not nap but so darn exhausted I just want to lay here for a minute... zzz...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing

Sleeping on my back will for sure trigger very intense dreams at me too, ive experimented with for a while and its 100% that i get a very unusual experiance every time.
I dont know if its sleep paralysis or what, but it always so much more than e regular dream.

Worst i ever had, was that i looked outside my window and saw a spinning orb outside, it told me via telepathy that i should get ready to leave earth at christmas time, as our moon would be hit by a large object and it would bring hell on earth.
I WOKE UP and told my best friend - i talk to every day - about it, and i knew exactly where to go to be picked up be the entity, we talked it over and decided to pack our bags and go there - and on our way to the rallypoint we met a couple who also had packed up and was walking, i asked them where to where heading to, and they said it was a secret, wich seems very mystic to me.
finally we got the the place, the where hundreds of people there, and there was some kinda machine that was supposed to shoot out those rescue orbs - one orb was fired out and left a trail of fire over the metal ramp.
As we stepped up on the ramp an orb closed arround us, and suddently i became aware of it was a trick, we had been fooled, we was gonna end up as slaves, lab rats and food, but i was too late... the orb shot us out in space - in panic i tried to break free from the orb i got my arms outside it and pushed my way out, hit the floor next to my bed and the woke up for real.

Hard to describe the massive feeling of fear and panic, but damn it was intense.

I know its not similar, and possoble not even SP, but i just had to get it out after reading this post

edit on 2-7-2013 by Minus because: i can

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Minus

Intense dreams are nothing like sleep paralysis and even nightmares bare no similarity, though not so much my sleeping position but what I have eaten before bed can affect me in that way, sleep paralysis usually occurs somewhere between waking and sleeping and the usual explanation for it is that the mind is awake but to prevent one harming themselves during sleep there is an inbuilt function of the brain that stops us enacting REM sleep actions for real, the usual explanation for sleep walking is that this is somehow disabled.

Personally I accept that this may be the case in some cases but I also thoroughly believe the paranormal or unknown side as equally valid and as someone whom has experienced it in the past with whatever was doing it giggling as I forced it away I can not rationalise my experience with the pragmatic and doctrinal scientific view.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join