It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge allows Yoga in Public schools, rejects Church-State Fight

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Do the kids practice traditional Yoga in a religious context? Do they know and understand the religious aspect of it? Could they even name the religions or Yogis that are associated with traditional Yoga?

Or is it modern Yoga strictly for physical and mental exercise?

Hatha Yoga

To suggest that a religious link is necessary is simply false.

"Simply False"? Maybe if you cherry-pick westernized Hatha Yoga (which you did!) which is a tiny aspect of the overall system of Yoga.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Believing in something that natural is hard to fathom? or do you think religion holds monopoly over "light" and other things

I meditate, i feel calm, i sit by a flowing river, i feel calm, when i look up at the starry night, i feel insignificant. I can experience all these without changing its term to "god".

oh wait, i see its a strawman linking to Scientology.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

That's like saying people are trying to rationalize their dislike of the Muslim religion with the acceptance of math.

Its like the logic centers of the religious brain has just shut down or become too atrophied to work.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

Not really...Not at all.
Muslim and math have nothing to do with eachother.
Yoga is a religious practice. Like i said earlier taking the religious part out of yoga is the same as making kids "not pray" have them sit in the prayer position and talk about the things that want, don't talk to spirits or gods or anything- this talk outloud to yourself. The fundies have a problem with this because is said prayer and that buzzword can send them into a fit.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Believing in something that natural is hard to fathom? or do you think religion holds monopoly over "light" and other things

I meditate, i feel calm, i sit by a flowing river, i feel calm, when i look up at the starry night, i feel insignificant. I can experience all these without changing its term to "god".

oh wait, i see its a strawman linking to Scientology.

lol wut? You seriously can't be claiming strawman while pulling god an scientology out of your ass for no reason. Don't ever go full retard

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yogic breathing and postures in and of themselves aren't religious unless you approach them from a spiritual standpoint.

Are martial arts religious?
Dancing?
Making love?

They can be....but they don't take on a religious connotation until the practice is intended as such.

My most transcendental experience [religious] can't even be discussed on ATS. pity...

edit on 2-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Sounds like some new ager/ galactic federation of light type stuff.

pulling god an Scientology out of your ass for no reason

Previous sentence looks like very Scientology me.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Sounds like some new ager/ galactic federation of light type stuff.

pulling god an Scientology out of your ass for no reason

Previous sentence looks like very Scientology me.

Ignorance is not bliss, its just ignorance. And on a few levels.
1. No real god in scientology
2. Nothing to do with Scientology, ufoaliendatabase.wikia.com... which leads me to believe that you must be newish or not have spend too much time on ATS if you have not heard of the GFL and you don't know much about scientology...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Muslims and math have nothing to do with eachother.

You mean this kind of ignorance?

Wow I actually agree with you. When you apply your own logic, to your own posts.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The national health service in the UK prescribe both meditation and yoga in what is known as Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) in an 8 week course, basically teaching techniquies to individuals who can no longer be helped by our western medicine. coping strategies for pain, depression, chronic and terminal illness.

It was developed by American Jon Kabat zinn from the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Where he began his Stress Reduction clinic. To have called it the yoga and meditation clinic would have caused obvious problems. Worth looking into if your concerned about the religious/secular aspects.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Muslims and math have nothing to do with eachother.

You mean this kind of ignorance?

Wow I actually agree with you. When you apply your own logic, to your own posts.

Its like you ignored so much my posts in an attempt to sound clever (didn't work btw).

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)

A good re-phrasing for Religionophobes.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yoga, as practiced by Americans is not religious at all. You can't accidentally worship a god or goddess. Just because you kneel, doesn't mean you are praying to God...just like if you do downward dog, doesn't mean you are praying to Shiva.

Yoga how it was used in these schools was for exercise...to say it was religious is just silly.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

yoga is not religious . smh. ahh this world will never be good if people keep throwing the word religion around

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

lol yes, and when muslims pray 5 times a day silently its not religion. Its actually a stretch for the lower back!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Spirituality is not Religious. One can be Spiritual without Religion. An Atheist can be Spiritual.

Then why not say "Spirituality is allowed in school, Religion isnt it". Have fun trying to define the difference.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Please describe this secular prayer you practice... because I think your full of you know what.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

Its easy to pray without being affiliated to any Religion. You just...do it.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by firemonkey

Yoga how it was used in these schools was for exercise...to say it was religious is just silly.

A lot of people simple people got distracted by some of the buzzwords i used in my first post here. But i did bring this up, we have a problem with porkers in school. If they want to claim this is exercise then that makes it even more BS. With the crazy amount of fat kids you would think that PE time would be spent on something a little more helpful than stretching. This is nothing but fat stupid teachers that want to get paid to do yoga.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Sure you can allow spirituality, soon as man made books and stories come into play, its out the door!

What shall we dsicuss? about how to see the universe for what it is? and understanding them.

I think just looking at stars alone can keep me calm, something religion can never do, unless, the people are gullible enough to fall for it.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

lol yes, and when muslims pray 5 times a day silently its not religion. Its actually a stretch for the lower back!

Soon they`ll be saying the goal of Meditation is not Spiritual Enlightenment but stress reduction...oh wait...they already are.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

First of all, I do yoga three times per week. It is for flexibility and relaxation techniques. So, I agree with you both that it is not necessarily religious because if it was, I would not do it as a devout Christian. It can be utilized for the stretching and breathing exercises.

However, you both fail to realize how overzealous the public school system is becoming to lose any trace of religion. Well, Christianity that is.

Easter egg hunts are being banned in school- not really religious. Can't have Christmas trees- or at least call it a 'Holiday Tree.' The word Christmas was removed. The figure of Santa Claus is also being slowly removed although it is a secular depiction of St. Nicholas.

All of the above are very loosely related to religion but are slowly being removed from public schools. So to be fair, yoga should not have been allowed even in a secular sense.

This just proves to me even more all of this is really an attack on Christianity and not a general separation of church and state issue.
edit on 7/2/2013 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join