learn more

Judge allows Yoga in Public schools, rejects Church-State Fight

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
A bunch of people repeating "Yoga has nothing to do with Religion" doesnt make it so.

The rabbit hole goes much much deeper....many Christian postures and rituals (such as putting the hands together and an upward-point for prayer) originate in Yoga.
So then, I come back to my previous question: Do you have a problem with it that any track and field events are taught in phys-ed?

Every single one has a religious background, same as yoga.

none are religious in and of themselves, same as yoga.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

You have said that before, what exactly is the religious background of track and field?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

You have said that before, what exactly is the religious background of track and field?
Where do you think olympic sports originated?

They were a spectacle to honor Hercules and Zeus. They have just as much religious background as yoga.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yoga is a practice of complete balance of the bodies energy fields.

You can also use it to go deep into many things , it helps you since you are balanced.

Christians are afraid of it because they believe freeing the mind will let devils and demons in, the very thing they have actually imbued with there strange rituals.

Yoga was around before a name for it existed, far before Hinduism.

Kriya Yoga would be the most transcendental, much power exists in the human form, but for some reason beings on this planet want most of us to never find it.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

They were a spectacle to honor Hercules and Zeus. They have just as much religious background as yoga.

lol, you think running originated with the Olympics?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Running in and of itself does not have religious background. Bending over to touch your toes also does not have a religious background. But bending over to touch your toes IS part of an official Yoga position. And running in a competitive sport like track and field IS related to the ancient Olympic games. So, I guess you could say both have a religious background, but both, in and of themselves are not religious.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Since everyone's kids (in public school) are forced to repeat, day after day, the phrase "One nation under God." I'd say this argument holds no water. We assume they mean the christian god because all the elected politicians masquerade as such. And by the way, in the public high school I attended, yoga class was offered and it was strictly an athletic pursuit, say what you will about the poses. Students learned to focus on breathing and build flexibility, nobody was ever instructed to use mantras or read the Gitas. Whereas in history class, we actually studied specific Bibble passages, but not any specific passages from the Baghavad Gita or Brahma Sutra.
edit on 3-7-2013 by centhwevir1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

And therefore, is putting hands together a religion in itself?

Your right, many religions across the board have used parts of eastern practices. Yoga is in many religions. Yoga is not a religion.

Kneeling is also in many religions as I stated...Kneeling is not a religion

Admit it, with this kind of reasoning you would have to acknowledge that prayer, communion, confession, reading holy books, etc are also only components of various religions and therefore should be completely acceptable to teach in American classrooms.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

the yoga that is shown in the picture and well illustrated in the video clip is definitely hatha yoga. the judge refers to "postures" which are hatha yoga.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

For whatever it may be worth.

I believe that what is being contended is in fact the issue of yoga and meditation being linked to Hindu practices. It's defined as a Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific poses.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Yoga is religious.

But many people don't get any religious growth from practicing it. That's because many people are doing it wrong. It's for contemplatives, not actives. It's for Mary, not Martha.

The widespread assumption people are making is that if Yoga is religious, it must conflict with Christianity.

I feel that the conflict is on the level of mere social mechanisms and exoterica, not transcendent truth.

Yoga is compatible with esoteric Christianity. If Brahmanism is "true", Christian mysticism can also be true.

The esoteric dimension of each religion is compatible with the esoteric dimensions of every other religion. That's why there is truth in every religion.

A Christian mystic and a Hindu mystic speak the same language. All contemplatives do, really.

"All mystics speak the same language, for they come from the same country."
-Martin, Louis Claude de St.

A fundamentalist Christian doesn't need to prepare their body, mind, and spirit to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and so there is no need for them to practice a contemplative discipline like Yoga. Fundamentalists are actives, not contemplatives. It's not the place of actives to practice mysticism. The place of actives is valuable don't get me wrong, as is the place of Martha but the place of Mary is valuable too. Even if Martha disagrees.

It's monks/contemplatives/mystics who must prepare themselves for that challenging ordeal. Mary, not Martha.

That's what Yoga is really for.

christianyogamagazine.com...

edit on 4-7-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
So yes, what you have said sarcastically has already been done...and with no complaint.

False, this mandatory moment of silence has been removed from some schools because people have sued saying it was a way of sneaking religion into school.
en.wikipedia.org...
See? "Sneaking" religion into school is only wrong when its a christian religion, anything else is seen as okay, You can have yoga, call it yoga and teach it to kids=okay. Sitting there doing nothing and being quiet = prayer...

Please quote from the link you provided where it has been removed.
I have seen where it has been, depending on state, either enacted as mandatory, or given as teachers choice. Its constitutionality as a requirement is debated in various states, but otherwise, there is no removal from what I see..just a removal of legal demand for it.

As far as some atheist groups..meh, some atheist groups are morons. a moment of silence doesn't suddenly lead to religion..it may however lead to panic upon realizing you didn't study for the test taking place after (and sudden sickness and needing to go home.).

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afewloosescrews

And therefore, is putting hands together a religion in itself?

Your right, many religions across the board have used parts of eastern practices. Yoga is in many religions. Yoga is not a religion.

Kneeling is also in many religions as I stated...Kneeling is not a religion

Admit it, with this kind of reasoning you would have to acknowledge that prayer, communion, confession, reading holy books, etc are also only components of various religions and therefore should be completely acceptable to teach in American classrooms.

There is history and theology courses in school already.
I have no issue with a literature class discussing the bible, Koran, and other religious books. Their significance in developing civilization to where its at now (for better and worse) is profound.

Communion without religious significance is called lunch. Confession without religious significance is called gossip, and praying poses (especially eastern) without religious significance is called Yoga.

Religious significance can paint eating a hot dog, or painting an egg, a religious thing, but the acts by themselves are not religious.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I said track and field. Keep up.
But, since you just have to show your ignorance on the subject, here ya go:

Competitive running grew out of religious festivals in various areas such as Greece, Egypt, Asia, and the East African Rift in Africa

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
A bunch of people repeating "Yoga has nothing to do with Religion" doesnt make it so.
The rabbit hole goes much much deeper....many Christian postures and rituals (such as putting the hands together and an upward-point for prayer) originate in Yoga.
I agree. However IMO, it originated seperately and was intertwined upto certain extent into religion. It didn't originate from Religion.

If it helps.

Namaste’ or ‘namaskar’ is the Indian way of greeting each other. Wherever they are – on the street, in the house, in public transport, on vacation or on the phone – when Hindus meet people they know or strangers with whom they want to initiate a conversation, namaste is the customary courtesy greeting to begin with and often to end with. It is not a superficial gesture or a mere word, and is for all people - young and old, friends and strangers.
Namaste According to the Scriptures:
Namaste and its common variants ‘namaskar,’ ‘namaskaara’ or ‘namaskaram’, is one of the five forms of formal traditional greeting mentioned in the Vedas. This is normally understood as prostration but it actually refers to paying homage or showing respect to one another, as is the practice today, when we greet each other.
The Meaning of Namaste:
In Sanskrit the word is namah + te = namaste which means “I bow to you” - my greetings, salutations or prostration to you. The word ‘namaha’ can also be literally interpreted as "na ma" (not mine). It has a spiritual significance of negating or reducing one's ego in the presence of another.

SOURCE

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ParasuvO

Yoga was around before a name for it existed, far before Hinduism.
Agree. Infact, it is the practice of yoga that might have even lead to the birth of Vedas and Hinduism and not the other way around as many believe.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Communion without religious significance is called lunch. Confession without religious significance is called gossip, and praying poses (especially eastern) without religious significance is called Yoga.

Communion is to lunch as prayer is to yoga. Right. I'd like to see that one pass for SAT testing standards.

Religious significance can paint eating a hot dog, or painting an egg, a religious thing, but the acts by themselves are not religious.

That's because neither eating a hot dog or painting an egg have their origins in religion. Your analogies are severely misplaced, and frankly I have a hard time imagining you actually buy what you're attempting to sell, being that I know you're a thoughtful individual.
edit on 5-7-2013 by Afewloosescrews because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afewloosescrews

Communion is to lunch as prayer is to yoga. Right. I'd like to see that one pass for SAT testing standards.

That's because neither eating a hot dog or painting an egg have their origins in religion. Your analogies are severely misplaced, and frankly I have a hard time imagining you actually buy what you're attempting to sell, being that I know you're a thoughtful individual.
edit on 5-7-2013 by Afewloosescrews because: (no reason given)

Egg painting is a ancient tradition very much rooted in religion. ancient sumerians used painted and decorated eggs for grave tribute, ancient Egyptians scribed wishes and such on eggs and had it collect morning light/blessings from Ra, etc. Christians use it as a symbol of a few random things, empty tomb and the like...resurrection, but frankly, if you remove all the religious stuff, its just colorful fun eggs. Kids painting eggs probably don't need to meditate on Ra in order to appreciate egg coloring.

Don't get lost on the hot dog example.

Schools themselves, the most primitive aspect of children and teacher was of shamanistic qualities and teachings of history (religion), medicine (religion), and the like. (early civilization...everything was religion/by the gods...easy classes mind you,) So, schools origins is arguably just a method of spreading religion..at least its very origins.

Things develop past their origins given a few thousand years. Burial is a religious practice that can be done without religion for example.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Egg painting is a ancient tradition very much rooted in religion. ancient sumerians used painted and decorated eggs for grave tribute, ancient Egyptians scribed wishes and such on eggs and had it collect morning light/blessings from Ra, etc. Christians use it as a symbol of a few random things, empty tomb and the like...resurrection, but frankly, if you remove all the religious stuff, its just colorful fun eggs. Kids painting eggs probably don't need to meditate on Ra in order to appreciate egg coloring.

Don't get lost on the hot dog example.

Schools themselves, the most primitive aspect of children and teacher was of shamanistic qualities and teachings of history (religion), medicine (religion), and the like. (early civilization...everything was religion/by the gods...easy classes mind you,) So, schools origins is arguably just a method of spreading religion..at least its very origins.

Things develop past their origins given a few thousand years. Burial is a religious practice that can be done without religion for example.

I'll concede the point that some things develop past their religious origins to the point of having no functional association...christmas trees, jack-o-lanterns, & painted eggs for example. I see no reason to believe yoga has transcended (no pun intended) beyond its religious roots. Are we to believe that meditation and the other spiritual aspects of yoga will somehow be wiped clean in a school environment? Hardly likely.

I remember when I was in high school going to a sports camp where the warm-up included about 10 minutes of what I can only describe as transcendental meditation. At the time I thought it was a just ridiculous mental exercise, but now that I am more aware, I can look back and realize the overt religious undertones being forced down our throats. Sorry, yoga in our schools is about as benign as a baseball sized tumor hanging from a stage four cancer patient's forehead.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Watch out... Ever played street fighter... Ever heard of Dhalsim?

YOGA FIRE! YOGA FLAME!

If you ask me that sounds like witch craft!

But seriously....

Getting into strange and somewhat erotic position that also render muscles you never knew you had useless is as religious as putting your hands together and locking your fingers as if you were for prayer....

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join