It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge allows Yoga in Public schools, rejects Church-State Fight

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If they already have something why do they need to replace it with something else?

So I wonder what phys ed program they bumped out to do yoga....gymnastics, the balance beam bar and parallel bars? Are they replacing the competitive things with yogasanas?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Looks like no yoga in Japan, but they do teach dance, Swedish gymnastics and the Way of Education, sports and Warrior Bushido.

educationinjapan.wordpress.com...

It's pretty much the same in China...games, gymnastics, sports, hiking, swimming, sports, skating, dance. No yoga I think

www.edu.cn...
edit on 3-7-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-7-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
reply to post by Unity_99

Wow, you just went full...

Of what? Truth is truth and I am very fed up with all the corruption, murders, lies, world mismanagers, apathetic or people afraid to step out of line, while billions live in gruelling poverty, all the world is poisoned and radiated. Baraq Bamah needs to be looked up in the Strong's Hebrew concordance, because what we're living under is unbelievable, and kicked in the teeth and laughed at by them, doing it in our face. Then along come the gate keepers trying to ridicule those who can actually see. Good luck, that job has some really stiff rewards....the dark side tortures and demotes and humiliates its faithful workers.

Religions are the biggest gate keepers there is and the biggest control mechanism for worlds of warfare. They lay seige to souls to try and stop their progression and lay waste to planets.!!!!

Yoga, meditation and anything that awakens anyone is 100000%, underscored to infinity and beyond, needed in all schools and every walk of life. Why? Because its our kids and they count, their mind/body and spirit counts. Its a responsibility to not hand them over to the dark side.
edit on 3-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Yoga may have originated from the Hindu religion but I wouldn't say you are practicing Hinduism, its a popular exercise. I do P90x regularly and there's a yoga segment and never once have I heard the instructor make acknowledgement of it having any religious ties.

I also read the disclaimer and didn't see any mention that I would be participating in Hindu rituals

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
That's like saying you shouldn't have track and field because the Greeks did it to please the Gods.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
yoga is completely religious and i have seen people get just as messed up on it as other controlling religions
(tptb just want to get rid of the constitution)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I have to reiterate. Simply being ignorant to the fact that the exercise you're participating in is religious, doesn't render it not so. Most of the arguments I'm seeing on here in support of Yoga in elementary school are stating as such.

The other few and extremely misguided are denying religious association altogether...

Seems to be pretty obvious, based on the overwhelming body of evidence, neither argument has much of a leg to stand on.

edit on 3-7-2013 by Afewloosescrews because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

At first sight this looked like good news to me. I practice Yoga and I believe that it can be very, very, very beneficial to school-children for both mental and physical strength.

But looking at the details of this ruling, there are two things wrong with it: First of all, the claim that Yoga is not religious is complete hogwash. Its something that the secular part of society is making up and being dishonest about to justify the use of something as beneficial as Yoga. Yoga is deeply religious. It is a Hindu practice and its aims are religious as well.

Secondly, it being religious, allowing Yoga violates the separation of church and state. If Yoga is allowed, praying in school should also be allowed.

My guess is that whoever is in charge of Academia cant get themselves to admit that something religious might be beneficial for the kids so they have to pretend that it is not religious. Otherwise Christians and Muslims could request that prayers not be banned from school.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-7-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

What kind of Yoga do you Practice? Skyfloating? Bhakti, Hatha? The Yoga at 24 hours fitness or at LA Fitness? Thats no different than jumping jacks and lunges that children do already and the court ruled justly.

I practice Kriya Yoga and it is an ancient science in my world view rather than a religious practice like praying has no physical benefit. PE Coaches can teach Yoga and incorporate it into their conditioning tactics.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by intrepid
Seems to me like you want to push the religious aspect when it's been shown that in the west that yoga is an exercise regimen. I provided links. Care to provide something that purports that yoga is producing any significant religious foothold because of this workout? As an agnostic I tire of these religious/atheist arguments.

Children are easier to influence than adults. If you were taught Yoga as a child, you'd look up where it comes from, wouldnt you? Hatha Yoga is the first step of Yoga. The second step is meditative Yoga. The third step is spiritual Yoga.

My backside. As a comparison, how many kids do you know that eat Chinese food & actually bother to know the entire history of the culture through & through? Because this is exactly what you're saying is going to happen with a kid being taught yoga.
And you don't stop the flawed logic there, either. You're ascribing a default tiered approach when the vast majority only want the first example and nothing more. I have no patience for meditative crap, and zero desire for spiritualism, and will not waste my time on it. I wanted to be stronger & limber, not wrapped up in some silly religious or philosophical mindset. I don't believe there are any Hindu gods out there waiting for someone to strike a pose. I don't believe in the chakras or any other variants of this energy channel BS. I highly doubt the universe gives a poop if I try to "connect" with it or not. To me, this stuff is utter fiction and has absolutely no merit on performing physical positions with the end goal of muscle conditioning. Believe it or not, just because you look for spiritualistic side dishes for your approach to yoga, it definitely does not mean the rest of the practitioners do. I wanted the exercise, not the filler drivel. Like it or not, westernized yoga is quickly becoming the kind I sought.

The absolute best point anyone can make in this thread is that once upon a time, the Olympics was a religious event. We don't do it for the Greek gods anymore, do we? The exact same can be said for yoga. Once something evolves out of it's religious roots in to the secular, it is no longer religious in nature. Only the participant can make a secular action a religious or spiritual one. Granted, plenty of modern Olympians are religious and plenty seem to think some god helped them get to the games in the first place, but it does not a religious event make.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
An additional thought...

I would argue that modern Christian churches practice nothing more than a handful of traditions, and are just a skeleton of the early church and Christian beliefs. Nothing more than a bunch of gestures and motions.

Does this mean it would be acceptable to teach a modern Christianity themed class (since clearly this proves non-religion).

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by firemonkey

And they stripped all sanskrit language and hindu references from Yoga in this case. They don't call it the "Lotus" pose, they call it "criss cross applesauce". If you think this is an attack on Christians...how do you think Hindus feel about their prayer pose being called "criss cross applesauce"?

Id be a little offended if I were a Hindu.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by firemonkey

You honestly think that if anyone performs the yoga movements for the exercising benefits, that they are unknowingly praying to the hindu gods/goddesses?

No. Why put words in my mouth?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Because yoga is one of those rich white chick things, its the teachers who want this. Telling you, teachers want to get paid to do yoga. Yoga is just an "in" thing to do right now, has nothing to do with health or exercise its just keeping up with the Johnsons.
If these teachers could somehow make a class where they sit around drinking wine and watch the view, they probably would.
If the teachers were truly this passionate about physical education they would have hired someone to get the kids in shape but instead they gave money to some non-profit to come in and teach the kids yoga because it is fashionable right now.

Thats really what this is essentially all about. Its being "trendy" without having to participate in 50 years of high-discipline Meditation and Joint-Bending.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afewloosescrews
Again, I have to ask. Religion in school or not...which is it people?

Phys Ed yes, Religion no...except in specifically designated classes titled "Religion and Spirituality".

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
For something to be religious, it requires religious intent. If there is no religious intent in a practice, it is not religious. I don't see how this violates church and state, as unless they are indoctrinating the students into Hinduism, it's a non-issue.

The intent of Yoga is refinement of mind and body for the goal of Spiritual Enlightenment.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangutang
hatha yoga, which is what we are discussing,

We are discussing Yoga in general, not one particular brand of Yoga.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
A bunch of people repeating "Yoga has nothing to do with Religion" doesnt make it so.

The rabbit hole goes much much deeper....many Christian postures and rituals (such as putting the hands together and an upward-point for prayer) originate in Yoga.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

no doubt the yoga [or any form of self-empowerment] is SATAN!!! crowd is here in force and responsible for the 13 pages [which I'll examine at leisure later] so far

the real reason behind the yoga [or any form of self-empowerment] is SATAN!!! crusade
will be the subject of another thread

I have no clue what you're on about. The only posters who have mentioned Satan in this thread are the "seculars".

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
So are you suggesting that by doing yoga, one is also practicing the Hindu religion?

Yes.

What about Christians who practice yoga?

They are open minded people who look into other religions as well. Then there are some who are not aware of what Yoga is and think its "physical exercise".

Are they going to hell for dabbling in another religion?

I doubt it.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Yoga is excercise, and it also allows a good flow of energy, and healing to occur, its very Christian, at that, for the early Christians were the true gnostics. The bible is an inner journey, it becomes Saturn when you make it fundamental. So I am a Christian and love yoga! I also love anything for the penial health too, for that is the city you meet God in according to Jacob in Genesis 32 30.

I agree that Brahmic and Abrahamic Religions are quite compatible. If the U.S.-seculars and religionophones who love Yoga knew just how compatible, they'd ban it in no time.

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join