It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge allows Yoga in Public schools, rejects Church-State Fight

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Since there are plenty of other types of exercises or stretching routines that can accomplish the same goal without crossing the line or even coming close to the line of religious ideology, one must ask why they are insisting on Yoga as the preferred activity.

Because yoga is one of those rich white chick things, its the teachers who want this. Telling you, teachers want to get paid to do yoga. Yoga is just an "in" thing to do right now, has nothing to do with health or exercise its just keeping up with the Johnsons.
If these teachers could somehow make a class where they sit around drinking wine and watch the view, they probably would.
If the teachers were truly this passionate about physical education they would have hired someone to get the kids in shape but instead they gave money to some non-profit to come in and teach the kids yoga because it is fashionable right now.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

All of the benefits of yoga help people take care of themselves, from improved concentration, to stress relief, to the physical benefits.

And while Americans want Yoga the rest of the world focuses on Academics pushing Science,and technology producing,scientists, and engineers.

Anyone need yet another reason for the decline of America?

Yep some people do need to try again.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

All of the benefits of yoga help people take care of themselves, from improved concentration, to stress relief, to the physical benefits.

And while Americans want Yoga the rest of the world focuses on Academics pushing Science,and technology producing,scientists, and engineers.

So it has to be either or? if they teach yoga in the ALREADY EXISTENT phys-ed classes, this somehow takes away from other curriculum?

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Do you support sports in the public school system? Tennis? Golf? Track? or just football and Bball?

No I suporrt private and home schooling that produce's smarter more successful people than it's public counterpart.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

Do you support sports in the public school system? Tennis? Golf? Track? or just football and Bball?

No I suporrt private and home schooling that produce's smarter more successful people than it's public counterpart.

Yoga isn't taught in private schools or at home?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

So it has to be either or? if they teach yoga in the ALREADY EXISTENT phys-ed classes, this somehow takes away from other curriculum

Come again?

If they already have something why do they need to replace it with something else?

Especially something that originated in religion.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You mean homeschooling like this.

Man you make it really easy. A normal person would be pretty embarrassed by how horribly your points are being destroyed.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Do you honestly think that schools in other parts of the world (who are doing better academically than American schools) don't have any physical education programs? I'll bet you Japan has physical education in addition to math and science. They may even do yoga as well.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Are you seriously going to set here in a group as intelligent as many are on ATS and try to pass Yoga off as a form of relaxation? As if no one is smart enough or know enough to evaluate this beyond a "Yoga for dummies" level?

sorry to drop in late...

hey man...what you speak off...is not western type of Yoga. Western type yoga is just pure physical relaxation with mind focus....of course...you can throw in a bunch of stuff...but in a western society...yoga is a physical exercise....

The main point is....you are not required to believe in anything or pray to anyone...you can...but it's not a prerequisite...it's non intrusive and benefits are very clear and very quickly visible.

you are free to disagree of course....

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Then why does the rest of the world come to American Universities to get their education in science, technology, and engineering?

That doesn't signify the decline of America to me.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Do you honestly think that schools in other parts of the world (who are doing better academically than American schools) don't have any physical education programs?

Quote where that was said QUOTE IT.

Oh yeah because it was never said.
edit on 2-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

So it has to be either or? if they teach yoga in the ALREADY EXISTENT phys-ed classes, this somehow takes away from other curriculum

Come again?

If they already have something why do they need to replace it with something else?

Especially something that originated in religion.
You said it yourself, the current phys-ed system isnt working, so why would they NOT try and improve it with things such as yoga, which has many PROVEN health benefits?

They used to not teach soccer in PE classes, either. Guess it was a mistake for them to start. And Basketball. And plyometrics. And volleyball. And...well, you get the point.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Then why does the rest of the world come to American Universities to get their education in science, technology, and engineering? That doesn't signify the decline of America to me.

Does to me for this Reason.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

You said it yourself, the current phys-ed system isnt working,

And it will with Yoga?

What Cardio benefit gain is there?

Funny how the era of the Football,Basketball, and Dodgeball was the 'greatest generation' and somehow 'soccer' and 'yoga' is suppose to miraculously make people better!.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

You said it yourself, the current phys-ed system isnt working,

And it will with Yoga?

Funny how the era of the Football,Basketball, and Dodgeball was the 'greatest generation' and somehow 'soccer' and 'yoga' is suppose to miraculously make people better!.

How could this improve cardiovascular health? Getting into the various postures during a yoga session gently exercises the muscles. Anything that works your muscles is good for your heart and blood vessels. Activity also helps muscles become more sensitive to insulin, which is important for controlling blood sugar.

The deep-breathing exercises help slow the breathing rate. Taking fewer but deeper breaths each minute temporarily lowers blood pressure and calms the sympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for generating stress hormones. The postures and deep breathing offer a kind of physical meditation that focuses and clears the mind. Meditation and the mindfulness of yoga have both been shown to help people with cardiovascular disease.
www.health.harvard.edu...

Man, it really just is not your day, is it?
edit on 2-7-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

So Yoga has more a benefit than someone playing a game of football?

Or running a mile

Or a game of hoops?

Don't think so.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

So Yoga has more a benefit than someone playing a game of football?

Or running a mile

Or a game of hoops?

Don't think so.
You seriously change your story with every post. You implied there was no cardio benefit. I proved it wrong (just as I have with every argument youve made in this thread thus far). So now you change it to "well, its not as good as others".

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

You seriously change your story with every post.

Nope asked this question:

Followed by this

So Yoga has more a benefit than someone playing a game of football? Or running a mile Or a game of hoops?

You implied there was no cardio benefit.

Nope

I proved it wrong (just as I have with every argument youve made in this thread thus far). So now you change it to "well, its not as good as others".

Nope

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

At first sight this looked like good news to me. I practice Yoga and I believe that it can be very, very, very beneficial to school-children for both mental and physical strength.

But looking at the details of this ruling, there are two things wrong with it: First of all, the claim that Yoga is not religious is complete hogwash. Its something that the secular part of society is making up and being dishonest about to justify the use of something as beneficial as Yoga. Yoga is deeply religious. It is a Hindu practice and its aims are religious as well.

Secondly, it being religious, allowing Yoga violates the separation of church and state. If Yoga is allowed, praying in school should also be allowed.

My guess is that whoever is in charge of Academia cant get themselves to admit that something religious might be beneficial for the kids so they have to pretend that it is not religious. Otherwise Christians and Muslims could request that prayers not be banned from school.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-7-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

More than 80% of yoga practitioners are not treating it like a religion, they are treating it like an exercise.

Yoga poses do not teach religion. They condition the body for strength and flexibility.

When they say they will teach yoga, I'm sure they mean the workout regimen.

Nothing wrong with this at all.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by firemonkey

I just can't wrap my head around this.

You honestly think that if anyone performs the yoga movements for the exercising benefits, that they are unknowingly praying to the hindu gods/goddesses?

You can't accidentally pray or participate in a religion...even if you mimic certain prayer postures because they also provide health benefits. Kneeling down, clasping your hands together and closing your eyes does not mean you are praying to god...no matter who much someone else says you are. If you don't have the intent and purpose of praying to god...then you are simply kneeling down with your hands clasped and eyes closed.

I don't see this as a compelling argument in the least. Obviously most of the kids forced to participate in this religious practice don't understand its implications. Does this change the fact that it is in fact rooted in spirituality, and therefore has no place in our public school system? Absolutely not.

Answer me this, if we set up confession booths and priests for children to admit wrongdoings, even if they didn't understand that they were participating in what we understand to be a religious practice, would that make it acceptable in your view?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join