It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Judge allows Yoga in Public schools, rejects Church-State Fight

page: 11
19
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Well color me hateful since I think schools should actually be teaching:

mathematics,science.history, and other stuff that would prepare them for 'REAL LIFE".

Instead of things that most people can't use to put a roof over their heads,food on their plates,clothes on their backs.

yay Yoga!.

Only thing missing is a government subsidy no wait.






I think your disposition could be greatly remedied with some Yoga.

Seriously, just providing the basics and nothing enriching in curriculum is how schools produce bitter, fearful, and angry people who blame everybody but their own demographic for all of their nation's problems.




posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 





Thats not what I asked. Do you have issues with phys-ed, music, art, etc?


Yep

Physed?

Not working out is it as people are 'unhealthy'

Music?

Not everyone is Yanni

Art?

not everyone is a Van gogh



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo
 





Seriously, just providing the basics and nothing enriching in curriculum is how schools produce bitter, fearful, and angry people who blame everybody but their own demographic for all of their nation's problems.


What?

Why is it some people are not allowed to have opinions?

Everyone is just suppose to love Yoga?



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96
 


You mean like this? Public money going to fund religious schools.... but ment only for Christians.



Another great example of how religion poisons minds.



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by SpearMint
 


reply to post by Benevolent Heretic
 


First of all, I do yoga three times per week. It is for flexibility and relaxation techniques. So, I agree with you both that it is not necessarily religious because if it was, I would not do it as a devout Christian. It can be utilized for the stretching and breathing exercises.

However, you both fail to realize how overzealous the public school system is becoming to lose any trace of religion. Well, Christianity that is.

Easter egg hunts are being banned in school- not really religious. Can't have Christmas trees- or at least call it a 'Holiday Tree.' The word Christmas was removed. The figure of Santa Claus is also being slowly removed although it is a secular depiction of St. Nicholas.

All of the above are very loosely related to religion but are slowly being removed from public schools. So to be fair, yoga should not have been allowed even in a secular sense.

This just proves to me even more all of this is really an attack on Christianity and not a general separation of church and state issue.
edit on 7/2/2013 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)


And they stripped all sanskrit language and hindu references from Yoga in this case. They don't call it the "Lotus" pose, they call it "criss cross applesauce". If you think this is an attack on Christians...how do you think Hindus feel about their prayer pose being called "criss cross applesauce"?

Christians are not oppressed in this country, and they need to understand that.



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 





Thats not what I asked. Do you have issues with phys-ed, music, art, etc?


Yep

Physed?

Not working out is it as people are 'unhealthy'

Music?

Not everyone is Yanni

Art?

not everyone is a Van gogh

So, what you are saying is that you think schools should be nothing but a grooming environment for future workers?

And really, lets look at the flaw in your logic here:
Math?
Not everyone is Pythagoras.

History?
Not everyone is Gore Vidal.

Geography?
Not everyone is Magellan.

Guess we should probably just stop having school altogether...



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 





So, what you are saying is that you think schools should be nothing but a grooming environment for future workers?


Better than a place for grooming future yoga instructors.

There is no flaw there.



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Cuervo
 





Seriously, just providing the basics and nothing enriching in curriculum is how schools produce bitter, fearful, and angry people who blame everybody but their own demographic for all of their nation's problems.


What?

Why is it some people are not allowed to have opinions?

Everyone is just suppose to love Yoga?



And I gave you mine.

I never told you that your opinion is invalid. I am just saying that non-binary pursuits like health and art are ways to enrich a child's education to better equip them for the wide variety of options in the future. You say that not everybody is Yanni so music should be canned. Not everybody is Einstein, either... should math be canned?

What a dreadful world it would be if there were no arts, spirituality, or sportsmanship. Is this why you always sound so angry on here?



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 





So, what you are saying is that you think schools should be nothing but a grooming environment for future workers?


Better than a place for grooming future yoga instructors.

There is no flaw there.



Yikes. Just yikes. So now, its not about putting a roof over your head, as you claimed before, but its about you feeling like a certain job isnt good enough. And funny how you leave out the part that completely destroys your 'logic'.

Holy crap, the arrogance shown is unbelievable. And really, the hypocrisy you show is just disgusting.
edit on 2-7-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by intrepid
So it's the term that's getting people bent out of shape. Wooooo. "We're teaching the basic concepts of yoga here children because it is an excellent workout and will help you to not be injured as easily. We will call it something else though because "yoga" scares people."


You think that Yoga is physical exercise, but it isnt. And you thinking so and labeling it as such, doesnt change the fact.

In a similar fashion I could say "Well, prayer isnt actually to a God, its just closing my eyes and whispering a few thoughts, thats all"...but it wouldnt be true.

The Wikipedia Definition of Yoga is accurate:


Yoga (Sanskrit: योग) is a commonly known generic term for the physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India with a view to attain a state of permanent peace.


This is how Yoga is defined throughout the world. You saying it is "physical exercise" doesnt make it so.


edit on 2-7-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)


I just can't wrap my head around this.

You honestly think that if anyone performs the yoga movements for the exercising benefits, that they are unknowingly praying to the hindu gods/goddesses?

You can't accidentally pray or participate in a religion...even if you mimic certain prayer postures because they also provide health benefits. Kneeling down, clasping your hands together and closing your eyes does not mean you are praying to god...no matter who much someone else says you are. If you don't have the intent and purpose of praying to god...then you are simply kneeling down with your hands clasped and eyes closed.



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf
 


Well yeah its my opinion genius, not exactly rocket science finding that out...



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Since there are plenty of other types of exercises or stretching routines that can accomplish the same goal without crossing the line or even coming close to the line of religious ideology, one must ask why they are insisting on Yoga as the preferred activity.
I have no doubt that the unspoken goal is to shape not merely the body but more importantly the young and malleable minds of our kids. The trend is to weaken and undermine the traditional beliefs common to western civilization.
One of these days, those who resist such efforts will need to be sent to reeducation camps for an attitude adjustment.

No Yoga for my kids. Glad I still have a choice.



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo
 





I am just saying that non-binary pursuits like health and art are ways to enrich a child's education to better equip them for the wide variety of options in the future. You say that not everybody is Yanni so music should be canned. Not everybody is Einstein, either... should math be canned?


Never said anything of the sort quote by all means.

Not everyone is a musician or artist that only get fame or fortune after their dead for the most part?

True?

People are unhealthy as as far as this country goes is 'weight challenged".

Yoga going to change any of that?

NO,

Someone wants to do Yoga form a club like Chess.
edit on 2-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Cuervo
 





I am just saying that non-binary pursuits like health and art are ways to enrich a child's education to better equip them for the wide variety of options in the future. You say that not everybody is Yanni so music should be canned. Not everybody is Einstein, either... should math be canned?


Never said anything of the sort quote by all means.

Not everyone is a musician or artist that only get fame or fortune after their dead for the most part?

True?

People are unhealthy as as far as this country goes is 'weight challenged".

Yoga going to change any of that?

NO,

Someone wants to do Yoga form a club like Chess.
edit on 2-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)
Ill just go ahead and post this a second time, showing your 'logic' for what it is:


And really, lets look at the flaw in your logic here:
Math?
Not everyone is Pythagoras.

History?
Not everyone is Gore Vidal.

Geography?
Not everyone is Magellan.

Guess we should probably just stop having school altogether...



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 





Yikes. Just yikes. So now, its not about putting a roof over your head, as you claimed before, but its about you feeling like a certain job isnt good enough. And funny how you leave out the part that completely destroys your 'logic'. Holy crap, the arrogance shown is unbelievable. And really, the hypocrisy you show is just disgusting.


Yes thinking people should be taught things that can help take care of themselves is disgusting.

Yoga doesn't fit that bill.



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 





Not everyone is Pythagoras.


Yes not being able to add 1 and 1 is flawed but hell that stretching makes it all 'better'.



Not everyone is Gore Vidal.


Apparently not considering not too many people know the origins of Yoga, but stretching makes it all 'better'.




Not everyone is Magellan.


Most people don't know who Magellan is or could even point to a map of where he came from.




Guess we should probably just stop having school altogether...


Love the hyperbole and vitriol feel free to quote where anything such was said.

But don't forget to 'stretch' and hold that pose.



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 





Yikes. Just yikes. So now, its not about putting a roof over your head, as you claimed before, but its about you feeling like a certain job isnt good enough. And funny how you leave out the part that completely destroys your 'logic'. Holy crap, the arrogance shown is unbelievable. And really, the hypocrisy you show is just disgusting.


Yes thinking people should be taught things that can help take care of themselves is disgusting.

Yoga doesn't fit that bill.
www.webmd.com...

All of the benefits of yoga help people take care of themselves, from improved concentration, to stress relief, to the physical benefits.

Try again.
edit on 2-7-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Cuervo
 





I am just saying that non-binary pursuits like health and art are ways to enrich a child's education to better equip them for the wide variety of options in the future. You say that not everybody is Yanni so music should be canned. Not everybody is Einstein, either... should math be canned?


Never said anything of the sort quote by all means.

Not everyone is a musician or artist that only get fame or fortune after their dead for the most part?

True?

People are unhealthy as as far as this country goes is 'weight challenged".

Yoga going to change any of that?

NO,

Someone wants to do Yoga form a club like Chess.
edit on 2-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)


But... if we are fat as a nation,(and we are, no argument there) why would your solution be to not find a solution? If we were churning out kids who suck at math (which we do), we don't just take math off the table, right?

I'm going to stop poking you because I'm sure you are feeling like you have to find clever ways to defend your opinion, an opinion you are entitled to and shouldn't always have to defend. I only ask that you consider what that world would look like in 20 years, though.



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96
 





Yes not being able to add 1 and 1 is flawed but hell that stretching makes it all 'better'.
I'm simply using your own logic.By your logic, all of the things listed should not be taught. Im sorry if youre caught in a hole that you dug.




Apparently not considering not too many people know the origins of Yoga, but stretching makes it all 'better'.

these counter arguments are extremely week. Just admit that your logic doesnt hold up.




Most people don't know who Magellan is or could even point to a map of where he came from.
And? Again, its YOUR logic that has killed your argument.




Love the hyperbole and vitriol feel free to quote where anything such was said.
Feel free to quote for me where I ever said you did
Im simply following YOUR logic.

It has been pretty funny, though, to watch your argument go from "only things that can put a roof over your head should be taught" to "yoga instructor isnt good enough" to "stretching isnt important". Its a mad scramble of justification!
edit on 2-7-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Well color me hateful since I think schools should actually be teaching:

mathematics,science.history, and other stuff that would prepare them for 'REAL LIFE".

Instead of things that most people can't use to put a roof over their heads,food on their plates,clothes on their backs.

yay Yoga!.

Only thing missing is a government subsidy no wait.






Do you support sports in the public school system? Tennis? Golf? Track? or just football and Bball?




top topics



 
19
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

log in

join