Cultural Diversity

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
MODS please move if need be...

Cultural diversity is the quality of diverse or different cultures, as opposed to monoculture, as in the global monoculture, or a homogenization of cultures, akin to cultural decay. The phrase cultural diversity can also refer to having different cultures respect each other's differences. The phrase "cultural diversity" is also sometimes used to mean the variety of human societies or cultures in a specific region, or in the world as a whole. The culturally destructive action of globalization is often said to have a negative effect on the world's cultural diversity.

In the above definition take note of what it says in the 2nd line "cultural diversity can also refer to having different cultures respect each other's differences." I feel that in order to respect someones cultural differences, one must 1st understand what those differences are, and as with most new things in life its best to start at the basics first and graduate onto the more technical things later(one must crawl before they walk).

So lets start at the beginning of understanding with a variety of a HUMAN society that we are obviously having a very difficult time understanding. Islamic Peoples...Okay I think one of the most basic of humans is the act of potty training, yes we are going there first...This you tube video was suggested to me by my daughters boyfriend, he is Islamic and is from Saudi(he has been living and going to college here in the U.S for the past 5 years). This video has gotten his stamp of approval.

Deny ignorance. Keep an open mind. enjoy and feel free to ask questions and well...here it is...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

Must be the wrong hour to post a thread or perhaps the word CULTURAL DIVERSITY puts folks to sleep or this is just another one of those oops

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
This explains everything.
I've been using the wrong number of stones all along.
Is Zero an odd or even number?
I feel enlightened and dirty all at the same time now.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Sometimes that happens when we are enlightened...

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I had no idea what was going on with america and war when i was 9. my first step father was a marine drill Sargent. I have been a military brat all my life. Still can only call one place home truelove . && .
I would like to know what you think about this?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Soosa115

Soosa Its hard at first to understand the ropes and jump through the hoops here @ ats but your doing a good job I went to ur profile and posted there at ur thread on your different topic the topic of this thread was cultural diversity as explained as above in my OP(original post)...hang in there and do not get frustrated...great thread on the above you ntube ya posted though.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Really i thought the video was related sorry

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Cultural diversity is the quality of diverse or different cultures, as opposed to monoculture, as in the global monoculture, or a homogenization of cultures, akin to cultural decay

So why is diversity superior to unity?

The OP's quote says that monoculter is "akin to cultural decay." Is there any explanation for this?

Diversity lessens our concept of community, which means that the people themselves are less likely to help each other in an emergency, and more likely to wait passively for their governors to provide.

Diversity divides and weakens. Why is it to be desired?

I believe that all knowledge is worth knowing. I've lived and worked in the middle east for several periods in my life. But all of the folks we are supposed to be welcoming....come from monocultures that explicitly deny the value of diversity.

What's up with that?

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
They don't use rocks anymore, they use TP like we do. (and bidets, like we don't). Still, never could bring myself to do the "Saudi Squat" on one of those toilets, while over there. We'd just hold it.

This is why it is impolite to do almost ANYTHING in the Middle East with your left hand. It is considered unclean.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

reply to post by tovenar

Sorry that it took me so long to respond to your post...but before I respond can you please tell me in what sense are you using the word UNITY...Are you speaking of UNITY in a monoculture sense like segregation of races?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u

reply to post by tovenar

Sorry that it took me so long to respond to your post...but before I respond can you please tell me in what sense are you using the word UNITY...Are you speaking of UNITY in a monoculture sense like segregation of races?

Unity as in official culture for a nation-state; i.e. official language, "Legislated morality," etc.

new topics
top topics

join