It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawthorne police kill dog dog during arrest of owner

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

How do you figure that? The cops were half a block away, dealing with someone else that was totally unrelated to this guy ..while THIS guy stands on the corner and yells down to the cops, taunting them for a good 2 minutes.

How do you see this as the cops picking the problem? They seemed quite content to be left alone by the guy getting into what wasn't his business. It's a tragedy a good dog died for it, but the owner is the man to blame. 100% and totally. The video leaves no question as to that and who started what here, IMO.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Originally posted by goou111
reply to post by DeadSeraph

What was he/she supposed to do? Call it in and let a rotti chew on 'em for a bit while they waited for the dog whisperer unit to show up? Give me a break. Some people will use anything no matter how asinine to bash police.

If this is justified I don't know how my mail ever gets delivered....

Fail, outside of TV land postal workers are not actually attacked by dogs daily. If the dog does attack them the dog can be put down because of it.

The cop didn't get attacked by a dog either he got barked at and lunged at which does happen to mailmen daily.-every single day-

The guy was not resisting arrest , he put his dog away and his arms in the air without resisting. So why not let him get control of his dog then arrest him?

Do you really think this cop should pull out his gun and fire 4 shots at one dog with lots of people standing around?

If I fired my gun 4 times in a residential neighborhood I would be arrested and so would you.. Its reckless and dangerous and a lot more dangerous then one barking dog

What the hell happens if a cops dog is barking at you and you shoot it?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

So fail...
Yes, if i shot a gun i would be arrested... Just like if I put a guy in cuffs, they are cops. They are allowed to do TONS of stuff that we cannot, like put lights on their car.

I would go to jail for shooting a cop's dog. But if the dog was attacking me for no reason it would be alright, are you off your meds?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Perhaps you should rewatch the video? He wasn't taunting the cops. Cops asked him with a loud speaker what he was doing. He was yelling back the answer.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Why are cops given tasers,, pepper spray and batons? What's the point?

I mean they are trained to use that stuff right?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Well now, I have watched it. Several times. As my previous notes have indicated.

Now the audio commentary isn't what I got it for and anyone can mute that as they wish. It's certainly not the point. However, from frame 1:15 to 3:15, we see him making a full spectacle of himself and pretty much doing everything I'd think to do in attracting attention without perhaps doing something outwardly aggressive. He absolutely got their attention though.

At 3:53 we can see the dog jump out of the car.

At 4:00 we see the cop make a solid attempt to get the leash and control of the animal.

At 4:05, the dog tries to bite the cop and it's hard to see that any other way. It wasn't a friendly 'day in the park' situation where the dog was in the least bit friendly and had been barking at the cops from the car the whole time before jumping out. That looks like an attempted bite to me.

At 4:07, he shoots it. Unfortunately, in anything for a clean shooting and made a bad situation worse for that.

However, 2 minutes (at least...as he's already there when the video starts it seems) the guy did spend making a very clear show of himself and with his dog along side him. Perhaps not doing this with his dog in the first place would have been the better move? Filiming isn't a bad thing..tho some cops react badly. Filming to be obnoxious and outright flashy about it, rarely seems to end well. It sure didn't here and the owners judgement is the worse of the two.

The cop DID try to get the leash and looked as if he was trying a second time when the dog bit at him. Frame by frame, that would seem to be what happened to me.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Why are cops given tasers,, pepper spray and batons? What's the point?

I mean they are trained to use that stuff right?

A taser would have also probably killed the dog and peper spray that close would have also sprayed the cops and the guy in cuffs who would have latter sued for being sprayed for no reason. Not sure if you noticed at all but cops can't do anything anymore without pissing off internet hipsters. If they use their gun they should have used their taser, if they use the taser he should have used pepper spray, if they use pepper spray they should have used their baton, if they use the baton they should have.... all the way down to basically "I don't like cops becuz they is bad".
Stupid owner should have actually secured his dog instead of putting it in the car with the rolled down window. If the guy would have spent 10 seconds more thinking about his dog instead of only thinking about what a badass he thought he would look like on youtube then his dog would be alive. His dog is dead and its all his fault, get over it, its funny.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

How do you see this as the cops picking the problem?

Previously cops broke one of his ribs, plus racial harassment and beatings against him and other African-Americans in the area.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Well, I feel for him in his previous dealings. What do the events of past days have to do with how he conducted himself here for getting his dog shot?

If anything, the past history makes his case worse in showing he had a personal grudge and issue with the cops there and so any benefit of the doubt to what he was yelling or doing either before or during the video sequence is about shot on the spot. I've been neutral on that aspect for lack of background suggesting previous motives to start a problem out there.

In fairness ALL around, I'd still leave the past in the past, despite how it may actually support the way this all happened ...as it really isn't related to how he gained the attention and direct handling of the two cops he seemed to make a game out of taunting. Thanks for the additional background on it though, in whichever context it's offered here.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Well, I feel for him in his previous dealings. What do the events of past days have to do with how he conducted himself here for getting his dog shot?

He did nothing that would warrant an arrest. He conducted himself like any responsible citizen should. So yeah there's that.

If anything, the past history makes his case worse in showing he had a personal grudge and issue with the cops there and so any benefit of the doubt to what he was yelling or doing either before or during the video sequence is about shot on the spot. I've been neutral on that aspect for lack of background suggesting previous motives to start a problem out there.

If anything it makes it worse for the cops. They know they're being watched now and as retaliation execute the guys dog. Knowing full well they never had any reason to arrest him in the first place.

...make a game out of taunting.

And again, where's this taunting? I've watched the videos, from multiple angles. I've read the reports and I've seen the interviews. No taunting.
edit on 13/7/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Waving your camera phone around like Harry Potter's magic wand just to draw attention and be obnoxious, is taunting.

Moving around and making a full on public spectacle of it, crossing back and forth, is taunting.

We're not lawyers and this isn't a court with the fine tuned rules of evidence. We can all see what is there to see. It's fair enough to say the reaction was overblown perhaps, but the behavior seems real clear. We also don't know what happened before the tape began. This was apparently an issue that had been going already.

I believe what he did is just about what I'd do if my INTENT was to draw their attention and annoy them.

If someone wants to go tweaking the nose of the cops and then argue, perhaps rightly by technical definition in a court room, that they didn't deserve the attention they got? Well, they may win the case in court....but it won't end well on the street and this guy was obviously no Kansas tourist, brand new to L.A. He should know that.

My sympathy is with the dog, not the owner. Again, he caused it, IMO.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Waving your camera phone around like Harry Potter's magic wand just to draw attention and be obnoxious, is taunting.

Holding a camera. Not waving since that kind of negates the purpose. And it is only obnoxious if you are a committing a crime.

Moving around and making a full on public spectacle of it, crossing back and forth, is taunting.

By that standard anyone who walks on the street is taunting. So yeah no taunting there either. That's how humans get from point a to point b.

We're not lawyers and this isn't a court with the fine tuned rules of evidence. We can all see what is there to see. It's fair enough to say the reaction was overblown perhaps, but the behavior seems real clear. We also don't know what happened before the tape began. This was apparently an issue that had been going already.

We've seen the full footage. Any previous instances were different incidents.

I believe what he did is just about what I'd do if my INTENT was to draw their attention and annoy them.

He was a victim of police brutality. His intent was obviously to document the scene to keep police accountable if something happens.

If someone wants to go tweaking the nose of the cops and then argue, perhaps rightly by technical definition in a court room, that they didn't deserve the attention they got? Well, they may win the case in court....but it won't end well on the street and this guy was obviously no Kansas tourist, brand new to L.A. He should know that.

My sympathy is with the dog, not the owner. Again, he caused it, IMO.

If the cops on the street do not follow the law it's this guys own fault?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Your position is clearly one of looking for and finding any way, in every instance, of how this guy was just an average joe shmoe walking his dog when the mean old cops clobbered him and murdered his pet for the world to see.

That's exaggerating a bit, but not by much. I'm not sure anything could get beyond that approach as even the basic points like .....you don't go putting a large dog into a car with windows rolled all the way down ...or ...he shouldn't have been doing this with his dog in this first place ..is too much to concede in a small way.

We'll just have to agree to disagree and you'll see evil cops no matter what anyone else seems to. It does take different folks to make the world go around.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

A taser would have also probably killed the dog

lol fail
Wow this dog didn't die, and he was definitely attacking ,and this cop was by himself and didn't even pull out his gun. Because he was rational and did what every cop should have done in the same situation

It would not even be a story if the cop was even a little worthy of the badge

and peper spray that close would have also sprayed the cops and the guy in cuffs who would have latter sued for being sprayed for no reason

lol fail.. That is such a ridiculous stretch... So pepper spray is too dangerous but firing your gun 4 times is safe

cmon man
:bnghd: :bnghd: :bash:
edit on 13-7-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
From the lapd training manuel

www.lapdonline.org...

Unnecessarily or prematurely drawing or exhibiting a firearm limits an officer's alternatives in controlling a situation, creates unnecessary anxiety on the part of citizens, and may result in an unwarranted or accidental discharge of the firearm. An officer's decision to draw or exhibit a firearm should be based on the tactical situation and the officer's reasonable belief there is a substantial risk that the situation may escalate to the point where deadly force may be justified. When an officer has determined that the use of deadly force is not necessary, the officer shall, as soon as practicable, secure or holster the firearm."

So even pulling out your firearm is a last resort

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Pepper Spray is too dangerous because the only thing worse than a dog acting in a protective role, especially a large breed perfectly capable of lethal aggression like Rottweilers, is a dog acting from a berserk rage.

If the pepper spray didn't work and put the dog down to incapacitate it, it's likely to go nuts on whoever sprayed it. Mixed physically in among all the other cops? That means the one shot he took in the video (had he not taken it) may have been the only shot he got before shooting other cops with the dog among them all was too dangerous a possibility. (or the suspect himself, for that matter).

I think the sheer numbers were the only thing that kept the dog as timid as it was and that was fading real quick. It was doing it's protective thing for it's owner, as it viewed it. People argue it wasn't biting when that's precisely what it was SUPPOSED to be doing, to be honest. That's the loyalty that breed is known and valued for ....and why the dog should never have been in a position to get loose, IMO.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

The commentary in the video even states that under those circumstance the officer would have been justified in shooting the dog.

The cop in the video reacted quickly and took the best course of action, and for that, I commend him. That doesn't change the fact the officer in the video relevant to the OP was still justified in shooting the dog. The owner was an idiot, and that is why his dog is dead.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join