It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawthorne police kill dog dog during arrest of owner

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Originally posted by holyTerror
reply to post by Superhans

Of course the dog jumped at the cop, the cop stepped too close it. Dogs are loyal and faithful to their humans and he was trying to protect his human. That cop should have stayed away and the second cop that had the owner in custody should have stepped in.

You are right, the cops should have just run away at first sight of the dog and cleared the street so they wouldn't frighten the dog. It really is all their fault, how dare they shoot a dog that was going to bite. They just shouldn't have been there.

There is no excuse for that officer's behavior. Fearing for your life is one thing, but coming out of nowhere and pulling a weapon on that dog when it didn't understand what was happening to his human wasn't the right course of action.

Yeah i feel you, i think everyone missed that begining part of the video where it shows the dog playing in the street and the cop just jumps out of his car and starts shooting at the dog for no reason whatsoever, he just came out of nowhere. Its like he just patrols the city looking for dogs to kill.

Oh yeah, and arresting him for taping them was unlawful and they know it. I grew up in east LA and have witnessed scenes like that before where there were multiple cops standing around with a few dozen bystanders looking on and a few videotaping, I have never seen officers act like that. This was also in the 80's and 90's, before the cops primary duty was to fight "terrorism."

Why did the dude just get ready to be "arrested" when the cops came up? They walked up to him and he just turns around and puts his hands behind his back. I grew up in compton and have seen cops arrest people too, what is your point?

Nice jump to hyperbole.

1. I never said the cops should have run away, read what you quoted.

2. Was the cop patrolling, looking for someone or something to shoot? Did I say he had "no reason whatsoever to shoot?" Again, read what you quoted.

3. Maybe they ordered him to turn around, couldn't hear that from the video but it does look as though they not called to him, but also motioned to him to come back to them. Maybe he knows the drill because he lives there and has been in that situation more than once.

Since you grew up in Compton I would assume you have had your fair share of interactions with the police. If you have, then you would know that that the majority of the time they like to make you turn around and put your hands behind your back so they can search you before they even attempt to talk to you. Unless you grew up in the nicer part of Compton, then I'm sure the police were more cordial there.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Yeah, i picked up on that too. The whole "i grew up in ____" is really just filler language added by people to fuel weak and stupid arguments or to add validity. Its right up there with i have a black/gay/jewish friend so i know what im talking about

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Originally posted by holyTerror
I grew up in east LA and have witnessed scenes like that before where there were multiple cops standing around with a few dozen bystanders looking on and a few videotaping, I have never seen officers act like that. This was also in the 80's and 90's, before the cops primary duty was to fight "terrorism."

If you grew up in EastLos in the 80's and 90's you'd know there was little to no video taping going on. I mean, unless a rich person, or thug with stolen goods, happened to be there and had a VHS or Betamax camera all charged up and ready to go in the trunk of the car no one was video taping anything. Seriously, home answering machines still used cassette tapes until the early/mid 90's. Digital camera's used floppy discs until the late '90s.

Digital video was just becoming affordable for anyone with $500 in their pockets in the mid/late 90's.

edit on 7/2/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

Actually, I knew quite a few people who owned camcorders, not digital video recorders. Those didn't come into play until the mid 90's.
But if I use your logic then those people who owned them were "thugs with stolen goods." There is no way a lower-middle class or even a lower class family could afford to buy one of those items with the money they earned from a real job, right?

Sorry OP for the useless arguing.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

And my stating where I grew up was not to add validity. It was to show that I had experience with this type of scenario and was simply offering my opinion from that viewpoint. But you should know that since you used the same appeal.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
To quote a wise man:

Originally posted by PsykoOps
So the guy arrested himself without a reason? Yeah they had no reason, they called it obstruction. Aka. arrest anyone. So he cuffed himself so he wasn't able to roll up the windows? So whose fault is it? Cops, all the way.

It was the cops fault the dog was loose in the first place. It was the cops fault the dog got shot. Lick the boots of cops all you want but dont try to change reality.

edit on 2/7/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I'm really not feeling up to seeing a dog die this morning so I will just offer my commentary on it from what has been said.

As sad as it is, it should be common sense this days to take measures to make sure your dog is restrained if it's going to be out in public. Especially if it is a breed that has a bad reputation. No debate on whether or not the reputation is deserved. I have no idea. But you would have to expect cops to react violently to having a rottweiler lunge at them.

Obviously, they probably really didn't have to kill the dog but it was the kind of situation where someone could have gotten hurt.

All in all, just sad all the way around. Cops do frequently overreact but I'm not sure what they were supposed to do in this case.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Like the poster above, I don't want to see a dog shot to death right now, either. I've shared my life with 2 rotties and if either had been shot while I was handcuffed for something as petty as filming a cop, said cop would be getting a personal visit outside office hours.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

I would be kicking myself in the ass for
1.being arrested
2.not rolling up the window
3. Training my dog to be retarded

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

1.being arrested

Yes it's your own fault if you get arrested for nothing

You can thank the cops for that, handcufs and all.

Dog is a dog, no matter how you train it. In this case it rightfully tried to defend it's master from assault. Shame it didn't do better.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

He was not arrested for "nothing". And it was not just for the filming, the cops were responding to an armed robery and he pulled his car up with the windows rolled down looping a song loudly. The cops kind of need to hear what is going on in the area when that is happening. But such things are probably lost on you. You know what? Screw it, lol dog is dead and the cops got away with it. U mad bro?
edit on 2-7-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

If this dog had been a mentally ill wife or son or mother or father of yours would you say the officer should have used non lethal force? Not trying to compare the two of course but emotional attachments to pets can be intense.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

1.being arrested

The retard is the person who thinks the only way to deal with an advancing dog is to shoot it. This cop seems to have shot this dog out of convenience, not because it was an immediate threat. Tbh, no physically able adult male who has joined the police force should need a gun to stop a dangerous dog. Without any training and no weapon whatsoever, I'd fight any dog on this planet to the death and know I'd come out on top.
edit on 2-7-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Come one come all, see the dog fighter. This man is not afraid to fight any dog, you bring em up and he will knock em down

I am going to reserve opinion on what the cops should or should not have done for the moment but I want to get something off my chest first. Most will agree hopefully that Superhans sir... you are a complete and utter douche. I don't even like dogs but that's not the point. You are clearly just posting to get a reaction and have far too much time on your hands. While you are sitting there smiling at your clever posts, have a little think about how you have got here. Poor soul.

Back on topic to contribute to the quality of the OP's post (thank you for bringing it to our attention), Who knows how we would react in a similar situation with a loaded weapon. If he genuinely thought "it's me or the dog", could you say it's justified? Maybe he hadn't had any sexy time in a while and was frustrated (like someone on this forum). Whatever the reason, I don't believe the dog should have been put in that situation as it was killed for doing what is natural. The owner will maybe consider his foolish actions in future.
edit on 2-7-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
Like the poster above, I don't want to see a dog shot to death right now, either. I've shared my life with 2 rotties and if either had been shot while I was handcuffed for something as petty as filming a cop, said cop would be getting a personal visit outside office hours.

I have a Labrador retriever and if a cop shot my dog, well let's just say it'd get ugly on my personal visit to them. That dog means the world to me and I'd be devastated if she was shot by some asshole cop!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

He was not arrested for "nothing". And it was not just for the filming, the cops were responding to an armed robery and he pulled his car up with the windows rolled down looping a song loudly. The cops kind of need to hear what is going on in the area when that is happening. But such things are probably lost on you.

Funny that it doesn't seem to bother any of the cops on the scene. Also weirdly enough you can hear what's going on perfectly well from the video. So yeah it was for nothing. It was for the filming and the whole bs. about music is just a convienient after thought. If the music had been any trouble first of all he would've been told so when he pulled up. Not several minutes later. And he might've gotten a ticket for it. It's not arrestable offense.

You know what? Screw it, lol dog is dead and the cops got away with it. U mad bro?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Mod note

Seems things are getting a little heated and a little personal and a lot off topic, which won't be tolerated on the site. How about we all calm down and get back to discussing the topic at hand and not each other.

Any posts contravening this will be removed.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join