It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last Luftwaffe F-4 Retired

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
First delivered to the Luftwaffe in August of 1973, they served two months shy of a healthy 40 years before it's official retirement on the 29th.

Auf Wiedersehn, Phantom!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

i have always thought that this was one bad a@@ aircraft, no matter what any one says.
hate to see them all gone , or going away.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

Thanks for the thread.
Probably one of the most versatle weapons platforms during the VietNam years too.
more guys my age trained in and flew that big ol' brick than anything else. Play Misty...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

stared and flaged

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by derfreebie

First flight in '58, and she's still in service (albeit not frontline) in a handful of countries. Nothing to sneeze at. A Navy fighter so good even the Air Force swallowed it's pride and bought it. That's no small feat! It's the end of this chapter, but there are a few still hanging in there. It'll be sad when she finally disappears from the stage.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The F-4 continues today as the QF-4 in the air forces drone fleet. It's used for target practice for fighters so they can shoot at live aircraft. Eventually it'll be replaced by the QF-16 if not already. You can tell the difference by the red tail that's on it.

www.af.mil...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by boomer135
Eventually it'll be replaced by the QF-16 if not already.

The first QF-16 arrived at Tyndall earlier this year. There are a handful of QF-4s left, but they're getting low numbers wise. The QF-16 is still officially in testing, but I believe next year the first shoot with one is going to take place. It'll make it more interesting as the -16 is a much smaller visual target.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

SWEEEEET! I've been wanting to see an F-16 shot down for a minute!

Zaph text my phone, my son has my tablet. lol
edit on 2-7-2013 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Cannot believe those phantoms are gone
RIP Phantoms

top topics

join