It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's Mursi Rebuffs Army Ultimatum, Sets Own Course

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Egypt's Mursi Rebuffs Army Ultimatum, Sets Own Course

www.cnbc.com

President Mohamed Mursi rebuffed an army ultimatum to force a resolution to Egypt's political crisis, saying on Tuesday that he had not been consulted and would pursue his own plans for national reconciliation.

The Islamist leader described as potentially confusing Monday's 48-hour deadline set by the head of the armed forces for him to agree on a common platform with liberal rivals who have drawn millions into the streets demanding Mursi's resignation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-7-2013 by fnpmitchreturns because: title correction

edit on 1-7-2013 by fnpmitchreturns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The stage is set. The Egyptian President said, NO, He will not share power or step down. The fuse is lit and the die is cast. I don't see any peaceful way out. The Muslim Brotherhood will not go quietly. Next I expect the MB to claim to be AlQaeda in Egypt.....

The Middle East is undergoing change at a rapid pace. Does anyone think this is still a popular uprising or Astroturf by the West.

The military is not supporting Morsi. Does this mean that the MB will become the enforcement arm of the government?

www.cnbc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The Egyptian army is the real power there.They want you gone you better go now before time runs out.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
My opinion is the protesters better rethink their strategy or alot of people are going to die.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I've got a bad feeling that bad things could happen here

So the armies bluff has been called, what next?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Okay, 15, 000, 000 egyptian's are protesting their leader mursi....

The Egyptian Army has told the leader mursi to GTFO... (

The Egyptian Army is the largest service branch within the Egyptian Armed Forces, and is the largest army in the Arab World, and Africa. It is estimated to number around personnel 468,500, in addition 1,000,000 reservists for a total of 1,468,500 strong
)

I think Mursi is pretty well hooped.. That's a lot of people for him to kill or have killed, and who is going to do it for him?

The Egyptian Army obviously doesn't like him, The Egyptian people obviously don't like him. One man vs several millions.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Show of hands: How many people think Egypt is ready for democratic elections?

2nd.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit

2nd.

SSHHH!!!!!!!

You know that "spreading" self governance is frowned upon by the left, only the state has the right to govern.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

2nd.

SSHHH!!!!!!!

You know that "spreading" self governance is frowned upon by the left, only the state has the right to govern.

Both sides of the political spectrum are statist, not just the left.

This seems so similar to France in the 1790's. The French revolution back then had as an immediate result the reign of terror.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

2nd.

I thought Morsi was elected wasn't he?
Its all the extra powers he's given himself since the election that people are pissed off with I think.
Plus his excessive muslim bro'hoo stuff.
Most of the young Egyptians are not into that,having been exposed to the rest of the world through technology.
They want a secular deal is my guess.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

2nd.

SSHHH!!!!!!!

Both sides of the political spectrum are statist, not just the left.

This seems so similar to France in the 1790's. The French revolution back then had as an immediate result the reign of terror.

This is because revolution is a short sighted fix to a short sighted problem and fails to account for any of the long term effects that will come into fruition as a result of creating a power vacuum. Revolution fixes nothing and seldom has any sort of positive outcome.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
In Canada the way it works is that you elect the klutz and then you are stuck with him for his term of office. I think in Egypt people believe that you elect the klutz and then if he doesn't do what you want you elect another klutz whenever you feel like it.

They need to start in grade school having class elections and school elections, etc. I'd be willing to bet that there are very few of that sort of "training elections" in Egypt. It helps people to understand the process and what can happen.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I think the Egyptian people can be forgiven the slow transition to the concept of democracy and terms to be held to. After all, Mursi came to power directly as a result of the "people power" removal of Mubarak...who is still on trial or something, isn't he?

I can see how they figure they don't have to tolerate someone extreme that they see themselves as having chosen when so recently they did depose a guy who'd spent a part of a lifetime in Egyptian leadership.

It would be like the US forcing change in leadership by new elections and thinking the new guy was really different after getting a couple million in Washington to protest and force the change the first time. Then finding the new guy it was all done to see replace the old one was actually worse. Of course people are back to change again. Egyptians are highly cultured and educated by any standard in the world, in general terms.

At least they also have a military that is both capable and determined to prevent another chaotic mess like Libya, Lebanon or what Syria is becoming.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

The Egyptian generals see a way to regain power in Egypt and put there man back in charge, all they are waiting for now is a nod from Moscow or Washington before taking action but they may very well go ahead anyway and take control as they see themselves now as having over 50 percent support of the Egyptian people since the Arab brotherhood has shown it's true colours.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So who do you think Obama has been giving all those tanks and aircraft to? The Muslim Brotherhood.

Yes, millions are protesting, but the pro-Morsi crowd have the guns. If you think this is going to be easy then think again. It very well may end up as a civil war in Egypt....(and the Muslim Brotherhood will be more then willing to send in people from other countries to back up Morsi)

and just think, a civil war in Egypt will essentially shut down the canal - what do you think that will do to oil prices?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
We need the US and A to bring peace and democracy like in Afghanistand and Iraq... oh wait... there was something....
edit on 2-7-2013 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

2nd.

I thought Morsi was elected wasn't he?
Its all the extra powers he's given himself since the election that people are pissed off with I think.
Plus his excessive muslim bro'hoo stuff.
Most of the young Egyptians are not into that,having been exposed to the rest of the world through technology.
They want a secular deal is my guess.

Yeah Morsi was elected.. by Obama.. strange how it seems that our own President seems to favor the muslim brotherhood and puts someone in office that is bending the rules just as Obama has. The sad thing is that that the Egyptian people have seen right through the ruse but yet most Americans are fine with having our rights and freedoms trounced on by every move our bastard president makes. As a general populace we could learn a thing or two from them.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

In Canada the way it works is that you elect the klutz and then you are stuck with him for his term of office. I think in Egypt people believe that you elect the klutz and then if he doesn't do what you want you elect another klutz whenever you feel like it.

They need to start in grade school having class elections and school elections, etc. I'd be willing to bet that there are very few of that sort of "training elections" in Egypt. It helps people to understand the process and what can happen.

It's sad that Canada and America have the same stance on electing "klutz's". If we elect someone into office and the do a horrible job then we should be able to remove them. Any business you look at works that way... you hire an inept employee, they don't preform to your standards... you fire them and hire someone else.... why wait 4 years for them to continue the damage and make your brand or label a laughing stock. Here in America that is exactly what we are doing... we are going to go the way of Bennington and Ambercrombie soon. I think those Egyptians may have the right of it. At least they stand up for their rights when they are being infringed.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LABTECH767

The Egyptian generals see a way to regain power in Egypt and put there man back in charge, all they are waiting for now is a nod from Moscow or Washington before taking action but they may very well go ahead anyway and take control as they see themselves now as having over 50 percent support of the Egyptian people since the Arab brotherhood has shown it's true colours.

Too bad that earlier today President Abomination was telling Morsi that America was behind him and upholds rightfully elected" governments.... well at least if they were elected by him that is. The Muslim brotherhood is nothing but a terrorist organization funded by Barak Hussein himself. My Government is full of hypocrites and two faced liars more worried about their own bank accounts than anything else. America is in a sad state these days and most Americans are complacent and don't seem to care. Hopefully one day soon they will wake up and take back this beautiful country.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kdyam

Many believe the office doesn't belong to them,it is owned by a handful of multinationals with control and influence in many other governments.
edit on 2-7-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join