It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inducing Sleep Paralysis/OOBE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I first experienced sleep paralysis when I was about 10 years old and it was extremely frightening! I began researching the subject when I started high school, and a year later it happened again. I understood a little more what was happening this time, so it wasn't so bad. Recently, my interest in the subject was sparked again. I have done some experimenting and this is the technique I have developed to induce sleep paralysis.

I'm going to be saying to relax a lot in these directions. That's because it's really important! Now, this can be a slow process so it requires some patience. I'd guess that it takes about an hour or so. Also, to help keep yourself from falling asleep, I would recommend trying this sometime during the day when you aren't tired.

- Wear something comfortable. I wear what I wear when I go to sleep.

- Lay comfortably on your back and be sure to minimize any distractions (turn your phone on silent). Make sure your position is comfortable everywhere, even your mouth!

- Now, focus on your breathing and relaxing your entire body. With every breath you take in, say in your head "Mind awake," and as you exhale say "body asleep". Also, with every exhale try to relax your body more and more. I even get to point where I try to relax my body more and more with every inhale too. Once you feel your body is completely relaxed move onto the next step!

- Focus on your toes. Relax your toes even more than they already are. Imagine losing all feeling in your toes. And image that you no longer have the ability to move your toes.

- Do this process with every section of your body starting with your toes and then move up to your feet, then your ankles, then lower legs, upper legs, hips, abdomen, chest, shoulders, upper arms, lower arms, wrists, palms, fingers, neck, and finally your face. Take your time with this. I spend about two or three breath cycles per section.

- Now your physical relaxation process is complete. Your body should almost feel like it is floating. At this point you can finally stop repeating "Mind awake, body relax".

- I've found that it is required to relax your mind a tad to jump-start the process. Almost like distracting it from the real world, though don't fall asleep! Do this by daydreaming. Sometimes it is difficult to just automatically start daydreaming. I like to do something that I know really well in my head. For example, I'll play disc golf at my favorite park and I try to imagine everything with as much detail as I can. But try not to do the thing where you accidentally move your physical body with the movement of your body in your daydream!

- After a while you will start to feel slight vibrations and hear buzzing sounds. These vibrations will grow stronger and stronger and it may even feel like your bed is shaking like there is an earthquake or something.

- You must continue to relax. I tend to become excited and short of breath at this point. Just relax and breathe normally. Take a deeper breath if you need to, it's okay!

- It may be necessary to continue your daydream, as this will distract you from the vibration process. I would recommend this, actually.

- At some point you will begin to feel pressure at the end of your bed like a cat jumped on it.

- This pressure will slowly travel up your body to your head. At this point, it is possible to hallucinate visually and audibly. This is because you are technically dreaming and these dreams can be projected into the real world, a hallucination. But with all of my experience with sleep paralysis I have never hallucinated.

- Now you are in sleep paralysis. Your entire body is now paralyzed and you are unable to move. This may be uncomfortable but hang on! You're almost done!

- Continue to relax until the vibrations subside.

I have yet to get this far in my practices. But after this point some say you can leave your physical body, communicate with your spirit guide/guardian angel/higher self/subconscious, view your past lives, etc.

Note: If you feel the need to swallow, it's best to go ahead and swallow. It won't mess you up too much. And having the distraction of the urge to swallow will be worse than going ahead and swallowing. With itches, if you ignore them they will typically go away eventually. But if you have a cat fur or something on your face then get rid of that thing!

Note: Auditory hallucinations can begin to occur during the relaxation process. Actually, many of you have probably experienced this while falling asleep. There have been times when I'm falling asleep and I'll hear a breath, someone saying my name, or even a loud noise. These are all auditory hallucinations.

Note: To minimize visual hallucinations, keep your eyes closed. Duh!

Note: Your experience with the vibrations and buzzing may be different from what I've described. It appears that everyone's experience with this is a little different, actually.

Good luck and have fun!

P.S. I would recommend researching sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming, out of body experiences, astral projection, etc. before attempting this.
edit on 1-7-2013 by evannf because: Typo

edit on 1-7-2013 by evannf because: Generalized park

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by evannf

No offense, but sleep paralysis is an awful experience. I don't understand why you would want to intentionally do that to yourself. I'm sure there are much more effective methods of meditation and the like that aren't terrifying.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xmaox

A self-induced sleep paralysis is a different experience from waking up in the middle of the night and being paralyzed. But I agree. An unintentional sleep paralysis can be an awful experience, but once you've experienced it a few times you tend to get used to it, actually.

The purpose of inducing sleep paralysis is to begin an out of body experience.

I implore you to follow my guide and attempt a self-induced sleep paralysis!
And please report your experience!

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I did make a thread of why do we dream in Philosophy and Metaphysics.
Oobe is another form of lucid dreaming so you know, I've experienced
sleep para quite bit on purpose to lucid dream. I never had
sleep para before I researched lucid dreaming. You can basically
fly around, summon a dream character to interact with, its basically
you actually, once you are out of it, its the same when you are
lucid dreaming more or less.

I found the easiest way to induce it, is to be really tired from a hard days work.
And once you go to bed, set alarm clock at least 4 hrs ahead of time to wake
you. Then perform your exercise laying down, sleep para should occur
naturally much easier and faster, since you are more likely to fall asleep.
The 4 hour alarm is to induce rem sleep, thats where lucid/sleep/obe para occurs.
To go even further set alarm again maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours then sleep again,
you should have lot of dreams like this, para should hit ya with a good dream as
well.

Also dream journaling improves chances a lot. Research lucid dreaming techniques
theres a lot, just google it, should be top page.

When i think about it theres a lot of ways to induce hallucinations like dreams. Like
the ganzfeld effect same approach or forgot name i think this is link

The Trigger of Mirror-Gazing
www.near-death.com...
Prety much same like dreaming, just stripping away senses. If you have
mental problems might want to avoid it, just like sleep para.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I posted some technique I found when I was younger. You need another person to induce it though. Never did get to try it successfully, but there is a fair amount of research done as you can see if you go to the links (in my post here) If you try it, let us know how you got on.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by evannf

Thanks for sharing your method. I used it to relax my body and it worked like a treat, I could not feel my body at all.

I have my own technique I have used to reach the onset of vibrations a few times, but every time I feel the vibrations starting I get too excited and ruin it, thus I have never passed this stage.

I visualize myself on a merry go round. The visualization has to be in first person and you have to actually FEEL like your on it going around in circles. Also, try to visualize your surroundings going by as you go round, and don't let your body tense up.

Another one I use is visualizing myself falling, or in an elevator going down.

I guess there are many techniques that will work, but my next mission is to try to relax and let the vibration stage happen without getting over excited. I will report back when I am successful.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
When I was doing out of body experience I don't know of i messed up or not because as I did the steps I felt a weird feeling in my stomach and then my eyes riled to the bottom of my eye lids and i saw a purple color and trees and weird figures fly past me.(FAIL or SUCCES??

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CurtisRoyster

Hmm... It sounds like maybe you succeeded to some degree. Haha

For out of body experiences, OBE's, it is really beneficial, and may even be required, to have a clear intention, destination, or mission.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Wow, does daydreaming actually help? I haven't read that anywhere else, in fact I've read the exact opposite. So you've gotten to the vibrational state using this method?

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: xmaox

THIS. Thank you. I deal with sleep paralysis a few times a month and it is never something I will get used to. Whatever your belief is on what causes it, it's a horrifying experience.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ashleexo

Thank you for the reply.

As with anything (riding a roller coaster, eating spicy food, etc), some people will find it to be a horrifying experience, while others find it enjoyable. I am sorry you suffer from sleep paralysis, but I would gladly be in your shoes! I suggest you learn as many positive things about the experience as you can, and maybe it will help you tolerate it.

Please share anything you would like about your sleep paralysis experiences. It is a fascinating subject to me.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hey...I hope this is the right thread for it. I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to have an accidental OOB experience and if so, if I had one.

The first time this happened was about a fourthnight ago, but I was so spooked by the whole thing that I tried to forget it (I wrote details down at the time though and kept them in a word file) but now it happened again just two nights ago. In both cases it was accompanied with sleep paralysis. I do not have any mental health issues (aside from a mild depression) nor do I have a family history of them. I aslo never really thought much about Out of Body Experiences or looked much into them.

The first Expereince (two weeks ag) happened like this: I have actually stopped sleeping in my bedroom in the summer and started sleeping on a futon infront of my apartments balcony. However my OOB actually started at my actual bed in my bedroom. I remember I actually had the feeling of being outside of my body and was conscious of this. I thoguht about how I could now go anywhere I wanted and decided I'd like to go to the Amazonas Rainforest (never been there) and tried to "reach" beyond my apartment. There was avoid....and very, very far away I could see trees but they kind of dissappeard again. I thought it might be a bit to far and instead just started walking around my apartment. The rooms and everything was where it should be, the fourniture though was off, it looked more like an ideal version of my place, the way I would funiture it if I had the time and resoources. I also was able to kind of...see...myself, like the apartment it was kind of an idealized version of myself though, dressed in a blue robe and a sort of silver belt.
I walked into every room and then entered my living room. There I saw what I think might have been a creature of some sort...light in the shape of a small humanoid with wings (kind of like a fairy) I don'tthink it really looked like that, it just was the way my mind processed it. I looked outside the large balcony windows and saw that it was summer outside (it' winter right now) and then...I got kind of worried. I didn't feel an evil presence or danger or anything, I just thought "man, I am way out of my comfort zone here and should go befor eI encounter something nasty" and actually made the conscious decision to return to my body.
I experienced a sensation of "slipping" into my body, like slipping on a pair of trousers or a glove. And then came the sleep paralysis....I could not move my body for quite a while, couldn't even open my eyes. Then I woke up and drifted in an out of sleep AND sleep paralysis for the rest of the night.

The second one, two nights ago was even more frightening; this time I actually started on my fouton and could see the kind of...shadow of my sleeping body... I started walking again and encountered three...humanoid shadows....they did not seem to notice me, but one bumped into my side and that really hurt. I went back to my futon and walked up and down on it and then I could see another creaature at the lower end of the futon. A man with kind of flipper arms who coruched there and drummed his arms against the end of the futon. That freaked me out so I knelt down on my shadow and kind of ....dived into it. It took me a few attempts actually to slip back into my body and then it kind of felt like I had to go through (I think) two "levels" to get back to full reality (once again accompanied by sleep paralysis) I was so freaked out that night that I did not go back to sleep

My main question is if this these are actual OOBs as opposed to dreams + sleep paralysis (I kind of think the second one was more likely a dream) and if I should be careful about anything.
Thanks

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: GarthStClaire

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I think it is more common to have accidental OBE experiences than intentional ones. It certainly sounds like you experienced OBE's.

From my experience, during an OBE your consciousness and experience will be distinctly different from the physical world and will also be distinctly different from the dream world as well. I believe the "world" you experience when out-of-body is linked to our normal physical world, but you may interpret things differently from normal since you aren't seeing things with your physical eyes.

Going out-of-body does not put you in any type of danger, but from what I have heard, it is possible to experience the sensation of pain. Think of it in the same way as dreaming. Also, much like in dreaming and experiencing other states of consciousness, your emotions can alter and influence your experience. Fear is probably the most common negative emotion to influence your experience, but remember that you have COMPLETE control over this.

You may encounter other consciousnesses/beings/entities while out-of-body, I think it's quite common, and from my understanding, they will generally try to shuffle you back to the physical world, but if you communicate with them in a positive manner they may want to help you in your OBE rather than try to end it. I think these other consciousness are simply trying to weed out the "good" from the "bad".

If you are still unsure of whether or not you are dreaming or actually having an OBE, I would encourage you to have a look in a mirror. The reflection of yourself out-of-body will be different from your dream-self.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: xmaox

No it is not awful. Only if you believe in crap, demons, hell, boogie man...

And op is describing yoga nidra.

Been doing it for ages and no boogie man have cone to my room.

new topics

top topics

join