It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrat resolution would let ‘mobile Congress’ cast votes from home

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
They don't do their jobs anyway.
They finally decided to stop pretending.
They do need the rest though, what with seeing dozens of lobbyists every day that they can squeeze it in.
It takes effort to hide that much non-taxed money.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So, let me get this straight. Not only are we paying these eleted representatives exorbitant salaries under the premise that they are advocating their constituency's "majority voice" (which they oftentimes are not unless we're coming upon election time during which there is a substantial amount of flip-flopping going on), but now they want to make their over-inflated jobs even cushier by allowing them remote voting?

No, I do not think that this is a good idea. From a practical point of view, how can we really ensure it's the representative voting or that their electronic vote isn't being skewed, and from a moral perspective, these elected officials are paid enough to put on a suit and personally appear to cast their vote when it's called for. It's bad enough that they arrive at such events in cushy government vehicles paid for by you and me or that the "perks of office" have become such a lure for many would-be politicians.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

There should be a law that gets you kicked out of congress without perks, or a pension when you try to pass BS bills or are too lazy to even vote on something.

The approval rating is at an all time low, and now you know why.

I say fire them

ALL!
edit on 1-7-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

They already gave themselves an out by writing a law 'they can never be prosecuted for anything they write.

Never!

Bunch of crooks,liars,and thieves that lot:

Text Yea or Text Nea!

Yea!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hell no!!!!! Unless they pass an amendment that for every vote cast at home they lose one year of retirement.

Congress, how low they can go???

Peace

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Screw that.

Get some lawmakers that can make a diffrence, and rescind the stupidity of the last 5 years of "laws" or "taxes" that they claim are "bills" and lets get this Country back to great again !

Im so tired of looking at this Congress and thinking somewhere George Washingon is laughing at us all........

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I think this is a great idea. It makes it much harder for high paid lobbyists to influence congress while making them much more available to their local community. They don't need more time taking to people in DC - they need contact with the average person.

Look at Jesse Jackson, he had a house in DC and his kids when to school there.

As for being "lazy", just include a requirement they spend a certain amount of office time. Since congress isn't a secret system - the security concerns wouldn't be the same as electronic voting in elections.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I like the idea in some ways but i cannot honestly say that i think
it will work, every single law, bill and idea these people come
up with ends up so perverse and ridiculous that it instills fear
every time i hear they are voting, i often wonder if this time will
be the time they bury some amendment or the other that
takes even more rights away from us, i wonder if this one
will be just another where they give unheard of amounts of
money to some insane religious dictator or country without
so much as a single stipulation on human rights that's actually
enforced.......

Our government has gotten so bloated and lethargic it cannot
even come up with a budget anymore, i want a completely new
sitting government, i want honesty, truth and decency from
my government and this one does not provide any of those
things, i want more responsible spending, a real look at and
fix for the healthcare problems we have, a realistic view on
education, not just some inane program that encourages teachers
to betray their students future for a test score or two, all these
things can be had they simply cannot and will not be had by
the people currently running our country.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Its not time to do this yet.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I would say this is a great idea if congress was more acountable, but there not. With congress passing bills left and right without reading them, im afraid this would only speed up that process.

Now that i think about it. they need to vote in person and debate the subject. this is a NO VOTE for me.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There is no reason for tax payers to pay for these folks to travel to d.c. Teleconferencing and voting remotely would save huge amounts of dollar bills.
Lobbyists would become more and more obsolete - another plus.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
with that type of technology every voting citizen in America could potentially become a congress person themselves. Save millions in wasted salaries and bonuses and expenses.

when ever a bill needs to be passed, pdf it, download it from the internet, eligible voting citizens can read the bill themselves and vote on it.

Putting the power of GOVT in the hands of the people instead of the elected few.

If they will do it for congress, eliminate the middle man, or congress that speaks for the people and give the people their voice back now that we have the capability of such.

The GVT tracks everything you say anyways and can store such data, so they are capable of tracking every eligible vote.

Of course congress making such a bill law is anther example of ho they do not work for the people, they work for themselves and those who finance their agenda.

Obama built a Presidential platform on change, making the public believe that " Yes we can." Time to say "no thank you" quit blaming congress for holding your agenda back (closing Gitmo with Executive order) and take back GOVT that controls the people when it should be the people who control GOVT.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Why cant you see this isnt about Right or Left, but shear laziness?

In a civilized nation that didn't have a bunch of right wingnuts waiting in the wings consistently threatening violence against civil servants and elected officials for not cowing to and complying with every single idiotic demand these nutcases raise, you would be correct that it isn't about left/right.

But unfortunately for the American Republic, we have the American Taliban (TEA Party) to deal with now. And this proposal is as much about protecting our Constitutionally elected representatives from armed and dangerous right wingnuts as it's about utilizing technology to increase congress's productivity.

Unfortunately, the problem is that we couldn't use this technology anyway, as a quorum would not be established if every member of congress were at home casting their vote.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I say put them ALL in jail, give them an Etch-a-Sketch (tell them it's an i-Pad) and let them vote all day long in maximum security!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I think it is a good idea myself, Now I may even consider running for congress. I want no part of being in Washington DC having to listen to all the people shoving misinformation down your throat so they can prosper from it. Maybe we can get some good congressmen that can personally research these bills in peace instead of listening to all the lies in the DC environment. A congressman should be staying in the area of the people he represents so he does not forget who elected him.

Twenty years ago this was not a possibility but it is now. I know some people in politics, I know that these people were not really at home when they were away and that their minds were influenced by the corruption of the system while they were constantly exposed to it, having to back things they did not really agree with. Our politicians are not really that corrupt, it is their constant exposure to this crap that influences them to do things they would not normally do. We need to correct the system, not get rid of it.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Perfect solution

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Sue me for thinking this is one of the most stupid ideas I have ever read for some odd reason I think politicians should well actually work from their offices, and vote in person.

Have you forgotten they also have offices and jobs to do in their home states as well? At least this way they wouldn't be able to use the I'm not there so I can't vote excuse. This could also be used against those that don't vote by showing how little they participate in running this country.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So now the "gods" do not have to show here in earth with the mere humans while governing from the palaces in richistan America.

Amazing the lest the crocks don't have to see the populace the better they feel while stealing away from the nations citizens and freedoms to pay back their pimps bankers and financiers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join