It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flaw In Your Logic Regarding Homosexuality

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
reply to post by HairlessApe

Comparing homosexuality to the struggles of people of color is the most intellectually dishonest position a person can take on the matter. It's an insult. Ones sexuality is an innately private matter, unlike the color of ones skin, and the nature of ones sexuality is only known to that person and the people they choose to share it with.

Stop comparing gay rights to the civil rights movement, every time you do, you do people like Dr. King and Rosa Parks a great disservice.
edit on 1-7-2013 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

If that's true, then having an "Irish Pride Parade" or one with Blacks, or Italians, is even more pointless, and should be just as illegal, right? No need to celebrate what you are, or flaunt what everyone can clearly see you are, right?

IMHO that's a ridiculous view and is rooted in homophobia. OP is right. Like I said-- let them do their thing, and you do yours. If you don't like it, don't look.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ParasuvO

using me as an example. as a Queen, there are some in the gay community who find Queens uncomfortable to be around and don't necessarily 'like' queens, there are those that are attracted to more 'Masculine Men' and those that are more attracted to feminine men, 'Gay' is not one thought, nor one Behavior, just like 'Straight' is not one thought or group behavior,

i can't tell what 'why' i am more effeminate, just that i've been this way since birth and growing up, it's what is natural to me, it was never encouraged (if you knew my story it was quite the opposite) it was never taught to me, it was just my natural progression,

do i do it on purpose to 'shove it in your face'? quite the contrary, the way i walk, and talk, and act, my behaviors and word selections are just me, and my expression of self, which we are all entitled to that freedom of expression

look around at all the people with clothing brands, and sayings on their clothes that promote their ideas, are they shoving it in your face? do you think street preachers and those that are outwardly spoken about their religion 'shoving it in your face'?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Stop it. I never said to not have pride in who you are. I didn't, at all, say that parades or whatever are unacceptable.

I said, specifically, that when gays compare what they're currently going through to the civil rights movement, it is intellectually dishonest, and in no way, a legitimate comparison.

I see you were quick to call me homophobic, that's convenient. What is my sexuality? Do you know? How many gay friends do I have, are you aware? It's obvious you're an emotional human being seeing as you were so quick to call names and make assumptions. I try not to do that in life. It's good advice to heed, especially when you're tying to make a point on the merits of a topic and not the person who's having the conversation.

Be an adult.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Because he's "star and flag whoring". Instead of making a concise reply to the user, he wanted the attention of ATS in hopes of more flags and stars. Just ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

do i do it on purpose to 'shove it in your face'? quite the contrary, the way i walk, and talk, and act, my behaviors and word selections are just me, and my expression of self, which we are all entitled to that freedom of expression

Of course you are entitled to do that…it’s a free country.

That doesn’t mean you’re not shoving it in people’s face though. There will always be people who cannot stand the “queens” as you call them. In fact, I would argue that it is the “queens” who do more harm to the LGBT community than anything else. Let’s face it; nobody wants to help out someone that is completely annoying. Notice that all of the gay marriage commercials we’ve seen purposely avoided using any “queens”. Why is that? It's because MOST people can't relate to that behavior...at all!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ifeelsohigh

I'm so sick of the gays and blacks and hispanics and native americans and everybody bitching all the damn time.

Whats the saying about the kettle and the pot.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The most "ridiculous" thing of all, and I say ridiculous because what I really want to say would get this post deleted by mods, is that all of this is based off of a book that "idiots", again quotations to emphasize my restraint, think is a good guide to morality.

God raped a woman without consent, murdered children for being born to the wrong parents, and committed genocide like it was going out of style. Gods morality is about as solid as jello and changes simply based on which side of the bed it wakes up on.

I am happy to be filled with such hate for those who willfully lie to and poison my brothers. Someday I will dance on the tears I have shed over their, now full, graves.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Indeed, us Drag Queens already have misconceptions and misinterpretations of us, and many can't relate to the performance and art of it all,

my main point was, what would be considered 'Not' throwing it in your face? how would we have to act to not be considered that? would we have to act 'Straight'?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

That doesn’t mean you’re not shoving it in people’s face though.

Actually it does, but the whole mindset of the one with the loudest voice is the one who is heard is what gives the impression thing are being shoved in your face.

Why not attack propaganda which in turn allows for some voices to be so loud.

in these times the voice of the gay and lesbian community is getting quite loud, listening to all the hype will feel like its being shoved in your face if you already had a preconceived view of the subject or issue.

It seems your uncomfortable with gays and lesbians and feel anytime any of this is the news its being shoved in your face, I could be way off, I am just making an observation and basing this reply solely on your reply to Darth.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
Why can’t you just go about your life without broadcasting your sexual preferences? There is a derogatory name for heterosexual women that broadcast their sexual activity to everyone….those women are usually called sluts. Are those the kind of associations gays want heterosexual people to make; sexual promiscuity and irresponsibility?

Just do your thing...but do it quietly, respectfully and tastefully like most people!
So you're ok with guys holding hands across a restaurant table, or as they walk down the street. Affectionate hug, peck on the cheek, that sort of thing?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

my main point was, what would be considered 'Not' throwing it in your face? how would we have to act to not be considered that? would we have to act 'Straight'?

Normal…

The only time I would question a total stranger’s sexuality is when that person acts DIFFERENTLY. If you think acting normal means acting STRAIGHT then that’s your burden.

My father-in-law is gay…he’s been with his partner for 25 years! You wouldn’t know it by looking at either of them. They look like average guys…

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The only time I would question a total stranger’s sexuality is when that person acts DIFFERENTLY.

I hope you have mistakenly meant this mean something else. its a bit confusing, do you mean differently in public and what would constitute so in your terms?

How many people have questioned about their sexuality?

What type of acts do consider to be "different" to justify you questioning their sexuality?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

but as i stated prior, my effeminate qualities are normal, my flamboyancy, normal to me, so how would you define normal and than dictate 'Normal Behavior'? there is no one 'Gay Behavior'

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

So you're ok with guys holding hands across a restaurant table, or as they walk down the street. Affectionate hug, peck on the cheek, that sort of thing?

Holding hands, peck on the cheek, etc are all fine no matter who does it. That is a tasteful display of affection and appropriate for public consumption. I don’t think most people would have a problem with that. I’d take that over a flamboyant homosexual who has to be the center of attention any day…even if he was ALONE!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast

Comparing homosexuality to the struggles of people of color is the most intellectually dishonest position a person can take on the matter. It's an insult. Ones sexuality is an innately private matter, unlike the color of ones skin, and the nature of ones sexuality is only known to that person and the people they choose to share it with.

Stop comparing gay rights to the civil rights movement, every time you do, you do people like Dr. King and Rosa Parks a great disservice.

Denouncing homosexuality as "less than" a skin color is the most offensive position a bigot can take. It's incorrect, ill-thought, and xenophobic. Ones sexuality is a private matter only because of societal norms, and unlike the color of one's skin, people can be shamed into hiding it because it isn't visible. If it weren't for the fact that you physically wear your skin color, one could choose to hide it. Tell me a minority wouldn't hide his skin color for the sake of a job interview. Sure, some would wear it proudly and refuse to demean themselves for the sake of other (bigoted) people's comfort, but many would accept the ability to make a decent wage over personal pride.

People who think it's any different simply haven't thought it through, or refuse to.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ifeelsohigh

No.

I don't think a gay person should be ashamed or be forced to act differently. The point is there is no need to run around telling everyone who will listen that you're gay. Most people couldn't care less. There are some people who are offended and think it's wrong so why poke the bear?

To compare being gay to being black is simply ridiculous.

So is it wrong to go around telling people about your ethnic background? If not, why? Because it makes people uncomfortable? They should get over it, as no one can help which ethnicity they were born into.

The exact same thing can be said of homosexuality.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ifeelsohigh

So if a group of people marched in a parade to celebrate not being gay then that would be okay in your eyes?

You're telling me a "heterosexual pride parade" would offend you? Why? And don't say, "because I don't want to see it." NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I never denounced anything. I never said homosexuality was 'less than' skin color. Don't put words in my mouth. I said comparing the two, which are mutually exclusive, is intellectually dishonest...which it is. The fight for gay rights and the fight for civil rights were two totally different scenarios with different level of oppression levied again it's recipients.

Thank you for calling me names though. I've done nothing but state my opinion on the matter and Ive now been called xenophobic, homophobic, and a bigot.

Why do you make insults up and then call people names? Are you purposefully looking to get offended by someones thoughts?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by neobludragon
I just wish that people would stop with this stupid agenda, ok your gay, i'm straight, hes bi, shes a lesbian, who cares? Its specially annoying when they have to shove it in our faces with parades bout it. Russia had the best idea with banning the propaganda.

If you want this, then help make it to where a gay person is not excluded from anything that a straight person is excluded from Including marriage.

Those parades are free speech. They are protesting, in essence. You want to supporess their free speech in addition to not allowing them to marry? And they should be ok with that?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
reply to post by ParasuvO

using me as an example. as a Queen, there are some in the gay community who find Queens uncomfortable to be around and don't necessarily 'like' queens, there are those that are attracted to more 'Masculine Men' and those that are more attracted to feminine men, 'Gay' is not one thought, nor one Behavior, just like 'Straight' is not one thought or group behavior,

i can't tell what 'why' i am more effeminate, just that i've been this way since birth and growing up, it's what is natural to me, it was never encouraged (if you knew my story it was quite the opposite) it was never taught to me, it was just my natural progression,

look around at all the people with clothing brands, and sayings on their clothes that promote their ideas, are they shoving it in your face? do you think street preachers and those that are outwardly spoken about their religion 'shoving it in your face'?

My friend, I am more than ashamed that you have to so constantly defend your sexuality.

But I am elated at how patient you are in helping others understand.

Keep up the good work.
You are a fine ambassador, since an ambassador seems to be needed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join