It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's military gives politicians a 48-hour ultimatum

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redarguo

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Muhammad Morsi, steps down, and some other pundit from the MB takes his place. Democracy doesn't work in the ME, they need dictators to keep all those radical muslims in line with the power of fear. The only power those people respect is fear. Even democracy will fail given enough time, corruption will eat it's way into anything made by the hands of men.

Strangely I think that you may have a point, a lot of tribalism in the middle east, so much sectarianism. Id probably choose freedom over stability tho.

Freedom is an illusion. You are free because you believe you are, and the ones in power, the ones holding your chains know this and they use it against you. Give a man the right to vote, and he thinks he is free. Yet while you have your right to vote, your vote means nothing when it's the electoral college who does the chosing, and you must ofcourse pay your taxes, that originally were un-Constutional. There is nothing but corruption in everything we make. I looked into a mirror and saw the face of evil, and that face staring back was me. We are all fools.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redarguo

Muhammad Morsi, steps down, and some other pundit from the MB takes his place. Democracy doesn't work in the ME, they need dictators to keep all those radical muslims in line with the power of fear. The only power those people respect is fear. Even democracy will fail given enough time, corruption will eat it's way into anything made by the hands of men.

Strangely I think that you may have a point, a lot of tribalism in the middle east, so much sectarianism. Id probably choose freedom over stability tho.

Freedom is an illusion. You are free because you believe you are, and the ones in power, the ones holding your chains know this and they use it against you. Give a man the right to vote, and he thinks he is free. Yet while you have your right to vote, your vote means nothing when it's the electoral college who does the chosing, and you must ofcourse pay your taxes, that originally were un-Constutional. There is nothing but corruption in everything we make. I looked into a mirror and saw the face of evil, and that face staring back was me. We are all fools.

I would disagree, beside elections etc our legal system pretty much guarantees freedom according to society, trial by jury and lay magistrates could not function in a dictatorship.

Whats unconstitutional about taxes? I think there may be an argument against a tax on labor v a tax on profit, that said where I am i can legally not pay taxes if on a low income, so I am not forced to. People should give back according to the benefit they receive from society and the tax system rates reflect that.

Ironically many dictatorships do have pay as you go services, the rich live in luxury while the poor die in the streets, not really an alternative I would want, and glad my country is above that; where peoples basic needs, ie health, food, rent and education are provided if needed.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Redarguo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I think the Muslim USA President would like to keep his Brothers in place, plus get them into a lot more parts of the world too.

www.debka.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Im worried that these countries are starting to set a precedent.

Once a government is overthrown forcibly, it is a repeat prescription for carnage.

I cant see this ending well, if at all.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207
Once a government is overthrown forcibly, it is a repeat prescription for carnage.

This is the crux of the matter though, isn't it? These people elected a man who made promises to take them toward a better future, and there are even suggestions that the election was rigged to place him in power. Since then, he had basically continued on the same path of religious dictatorship, trying to force the will of the MB on all of Egypt.

The country is becoming increasingly secular, which is definitely something that should be supported. A religious leader in a nation like that is never going to be supported by the majority when their actions are clearly religiously guided.

At what point do the people say that enough is enough? Do they just leave him there and hope that when they elect the next leader he or she rolls back the damage done? That's not worked in the USA now, has it?

This comes down to two things...

The lies of politicians who have, until now, believed that they can say whatever they like to gain power, and then follow a completely different agenda.
And, the people becoming more secular and open, while an extremely religious minority want to cling to power.

I hope that other nations are inspired. The political class is out of control all around the world, lying through their teeth without any accountability. They hunger for power and wealth, and they couldn't give a rats behind about the people they are representing.

If a revolution in Egypt works to wake up the masses around the world and encourages them to actually hold their own governments and politicians to account, then in my opinion that's a great thing.

It doesn't have to be violent, that's the choice a leader has to make. A real leader would step down and call for fresh elections, not cling to their chair like a spoiled schoolboy stamping his feet and blaming others for the continued spiral into chaos.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Never underestimate the $2B in lost tourism Egypt is now experiencing. This, alone, may insure a peaceful transition into a western-friendly democracy.
edit on 2-7-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com... Morsi defying the crisis military ultimatum.Possible civil war may break out.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

The lies of politicians who have, until now, believed that they can say whatever they like to gain power, and then follow a completely different agenda.
And, the people becoming more secular and open, while an extremely religious minority want to cling to power.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

The above section is not new. Politicians for decades have promised the earth and delivered very little.

If David Cameron says he will plough billions into the NHS and doesn't. I dont vote for him come the next election.

However with countries like Syria, when the government say things like, "we will iradicate poor living conditions/hunger", and don't, you have an angry mob with nothing to lose.

This goes off once, what will stop them from repeating this the next time a leader goes back on his word?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Its time to get rid of the religious fanatics. They are a scourge on humanity. The muslim brotherhood was suspect from day 1 and my suspicions have only deepened. Saudi Arabia, the EU and the USA have no business getting involved in everyones politics, and as such should mind their own business.

If it takes a civil war to purge these parasites then so be it. I could not care less if millions have to die.

Power to the military!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207
Im worried that these countries are starting to set a precedent.

I cant see this ending well, if at all.

Did you have any problem with the muslim brotherhood coming into power?

Nope I bet you didn't. They came in forcefully with EU, USA and Saudi Arabia help and might be time for them to exit forcefully as well this time by what the majority of citizens want. If the majority wanted islamic fanaticism then that would have been a different story. It seems they don't want religious fanaticism and good for them.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alternative4u
I think the Muslim USA President would like to keep his Brothers in place, plus get them into a lot more parts of the world too.

www.debka.com...

And a gay non-american president I might add that allegedly murderd his ex boyfriends to cover it all up.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just a matter of time before peaceful protest becomes violent, the ME is not known for a bloodless transition of power , only until corporate manipulation is routed out will we see real change and true representation from our governments.

edit on 2-7-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
i've reposted this on 3 threads now to be sure it gets seen
this is day 0. has anyone heard anything from egypt yet as regards the military and the gov? are we experincing a blackout of info from there? we need info from people living there. is their internet down again? what's going on??

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Nobody is talking about it because the media is too concerned with the Zimmerman trial because they love trying to increase racial tensions. What is going on in Egypt doesn't fit the narrative so they won't spend a lot of time if any at all talking about it.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
this is the day the army gave as the day they would move to change things. WHERE ARE THE REPORTS? this is not zimmerman related, as they were reporting on it yesterday and the day before. what is going on ? typing in "egypt civil unrest" in google, only resolves to reports from yesterday!!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here is a link to a live feed in Tahrir Square

www.nbcnews.com...

Also this just up

www.wctrib.com...

CAIRO - Egypt's military has drawn up a plan to suspend the Islamist-backed constitution, dissolve the Islamist-dominated legislature and set up an interim administration headed by the country's chief justice if President Mohammed Morsi fails to reach a solution with his opponents by the end of a Wednesday deadline, the state news agency reported.

The report Tuesday provided the first details on the road map that the military has said it will implement if Morsi fails to meet its ultimatum, as millions of protesters returned to the streets for the third straight day in their drive to force the Islamist president out of office.

Protesters turned to a new target, massing a giant crowd outside the Qasr el-Qobba presidential palace where Morsi has been working in recent days, in addition to filling wide avenues outside another palace, central Tahrir Square and main squares in cities nationwide - www.wctrib.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
so the two dates are: tuesday Greenwich Meantime, by 2:00 pm.
followed by 24 hours to reach a resolution on the next day, Wednesday? and morsi
has come out and said, "no thanks." to reaching a resolution with the military and/or the protestors ?

that is very confusing.

edit on 2-7-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Here is a link to a live feed in Tahrir Square

www.nbcnews.com...

So it's dark and they are not going anywhere; when it gets light it will be the deadline day for Morsi.
This should be interesting. The people have restored my faith in humanity to a certain extent.
I think this is far more interesting than public trials or sports etc.
This and Snowden should be the focus of a world that might care about justice, before it slips back into destroying nature for corporations while watching useless crap on TV.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Originally posted by undo
so the two dates are: tuesday Greenwich Meantime, by 2:00 pm.
followed by 24 hours to reach a resolution on the next day, Wednesday? and morsi
has come out and said, "no thanks." to reaching a resolution with the military and/or the protestors ?

that is very confusing.

edit on 2-7-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

Tuesday 5pm Egypt's time, 3pm GMT, was an official start to nationwide civil disobedience.

Wednesday 5pm Egypt's time, 3pm GMT, is when the time limit set by the Egyptian military runs out, I have a feeling the military wont be able to get rid of Morsi, since obama has threatened to stop military aid to Egypt, if the military does decide to turn against the Muslim brotherhood.
US military aid to Egypt is not something Egypt can afford to lose, it makes up a big percentage of the Military's budget.

I guess we wait to see what the Egyptian military decides to do. The protesters want to military to act on what they said they will do. One of the things they shout at the protests is "Sisi,(the armed forces commander) Sisi, act on your promise, the people are with you" (but in Arabic obviously)
If the military does decide to turn aganist the Muslim brotherhood, then it could mean trouble for the US, not because of a war threat or anything its just that, if the military does turn aganist the brotherhood and not listen to Obama's threat of withdrawing military aid. It means that the Egyptian army commander General Abdul Fatah Khalil Al-Sisi is not like all the other Arab commanders and governments that get on their knees and lick clean Obama's shoes, and every once in a while Obama would kick them in the face but they will keep licking.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Lots of threads on this Egypt protest. I'm posting the LIVE feed here. They are packed in this one area like jelly beans in a Pickled pigs feet jar. I don't know were they go pee

I'll never understand this part of the world.

Anyway here's the LIVE feed rt.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join