It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptop help, please? Gateway nv53 dying and death

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hi, guys.
I have a laptop Gateway nv53 that's about 5 years old. I use it plugged in - the other day when I went to revive it from sleep mode (hit any key) it came up with a Windows did not properly shut down message - and gave me some options, but had a default "Start windows normally". I'm running windows 7. It started back up, and I was back online.

The next few times, same thing. I DID "shut down" normally, but still got the error message. ???

Then, it starts but there's NO SCREEN at all.....the "failed to shut down properly" didn't show up, but I could hear the machine start. A few of the red lights at the top of the keyboard came on - a flashing P for a while, then it stopped, too.

I tried resetting the laptop - took out the battery (which light shows it is still alive - has only been discharged ONCE since I've owned it. Unplugged it, held the button, put battery back in, and it started.

The next day, started fine. then the power to my house died. After power to house came back on, I tried again, started up fine.

proper "shut down" again - next morning, wouldn't start at all. Removed battery, unplugged it and let it sit overnight. The next day - thinking I'd need a new laptop OR MAYBE a new battery - I reinserted the battery, plugged in the machine, and it started with "windows failed to shut down properly" again.

Now it won't come on at all, although the power pack is green-light and gets warm, the laptop gets warm, but now there's NO SOUND of the machine running, even though the power and battery lights light up.
No fan noise, no clicking, but a loud BEEP when I unplug the power cord with the battery in there.

I can't find a similar issue on the web troubleshooting sites ANYWHERE -
is it just a bad battery?

Husband took off video card, cleaned and re-attached it. No diff.
Is my puter DEAD???

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Sounds like you hard drive has gone bye bye. You may be able to find parts for it but as old as it is you may as well replace it.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Yeah, I figured.
So, now I have to start over AGAIN? Gha!!! You just get used to one machine and it's OS, and then you HAVE to get a new one and learn it all....same with phones. Boo!!!!

I was debating whether to try a new battery, or to send it for repair somewhere....but it's had issues with not properly transferring the files from a flash drive when I went from a desktop to the laptop - it also doesn't recognize the external hard drive that my husband salvaged from the desktop when IT failed.

So - what do you recommend for a replacement?? The one I'm on now is a little Toshiba Satellite - seems okay - only a few hundred bucks.

Oh well, at least I have backup flash drive for SOME of the stuff - I filled up one flash drive, then got another, but it wouldn't hold the "back up" due to some "shadow failure" crap. So now all I have is a flash with OLD backups, and a salvaged hard-drive from the desktop XP.

Thanks for your response, buster.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Might be a HDD or a fan. None of them is expensive luckily

Take apart your laptop and take out HDD and than turn on the laptop. If the fan is working than your HDD is gone.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Yeah, I figured.
So, now I have to start over AGAIN? Gha!!! You just get used to one machine and it's OS, and then you HAVE to get a new one and learn it all....same with phones. Boo!!!!

I was debating whether to try a new battery, or to send it for repair somewhere....but it's had issues with not properly transferring the files from a flash drive when I went from a desktop to the laptop - it also doesn't recognize the external hard drive that my husband salvaged from the desktop when IT failed.

So - what do you recommend for a replacement?? The one I'm on now is a little Toshiba Satellite - seems okay - only a few hundred bucks.

Oh well, at least I have backup flash drive for SOME of the stuff - I filled up one flash drive, then got another, but it wouldn't hold the "back up" due to some "shadow failure" crap. So now all I have is a flash with OLD backups, and a salvaged hard-drive from the desktop XP.

Download Ubuntu live DVD and run it on your laptop. Plug in some external HDD and in Ubuntu copy all your data that you need to external HDD in to some folder that you have to create. Ubuntu live DVD does not need HDD to run so you can test your laptop also if it's the HDD or something else.
edit on 1-7-2013 by LordDrakula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LordDrakula

So, dead HD would stop the fan, too? The fan WAS coming on even with no screen before - but now, nada.

silence.

I wouldn't know what the HD looks like (you mean Hard-drive disc, right?) either. I do have the little screwdrivers to try it, though.

When you say inexpensive - would the cost justify it when the machine has burps and farts anyway?
Yeah, I'm leaning toward a replacement machine......
I'm not a tech whiz, and I think it's been 'diseased' by some malware -

I don't know how, but Delta Search and Babylon Search were the 'default programs' one day - and I couldn't uninstall them! I was just bypassing them.

Okay...one more Q. When I was on the Gateway, ATS didn't work right on Firefox - so I switched to Chrome, and it worked much better. Now, on my husband's laptop, Chrome won't let me log in to ATS (keep getting kicked back to "log in"), but Firefox WILL.
What is up with that???!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Yeah, I figured.

If you want to stick with the same machine call around to some parts stores they may have a HD that will work. Some shops will check out your old machine for free and tell you if it's worth fixing. If this is the laptop you are using it seems like a decent laptop.

:[network]&s_kwcid=PTC!pla![keyword]![matchtype]![adwords_producttargetid]![network]![if mobile:M]![creative]&kpid=8830396&k_clickid=795bf346-f770-8869-a283-000016f8dd87]Toshiba - Satellite 15.6" Laptop

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

You mean run Ubuntu on the laptop i'm using now? This doesn't have any of my stuff on it.
How would download Ubuntu live DVD on this one make the dead one turn on??

The dead laptop was unable to recognize the external HD stuff, too.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Meh. I'm not that in love with the Gateway - the FIRST one I got had a bad OS - they had to give me a new one (even though they TRIED to tell me it was beyond the 30 days so I was out of time - I demanded to talk to a manager, and said "I used it for SIX HOURS!" -
they caved and gave me another - but, like I said, it never worked right as far as being able to transfer files from old XP, even using the instructions, and also won't recognize the external HD from the XP, either.)

Yeah, I like this little Toshiba - the keyboard is MUCH better than the Gateway was, too.
Only about $400 or so. Do you know what they come with "bundled"? From research, it seems windows 8 - and I was JUST getting good at 7!

Would I have to buy all new software, too??

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

So, dead HD would stop the fan, too? The fan WAS coming on even with no screen before - but now, nada.

silence.

I wouldn't know what the HD looks like (you mean Hard-drive disc, right?) either. I do have the little screwdrivers to try it, though.

When you say inexpensive - would the cost justify it when the machine has burps and farts anyway?
Yeah, I'm leaning toward a replacement machine......
I'm not a tech whiz, and I think it's been 'diseased' by some malware -

I don't know how, but Delta Search and Babylon Search were the 'default programs' one day - and I couldn't uninstall them! I was just bypassing them.

Okay...one more Q. When I was on the Gateway, ATS didn't work right on Firefox - so I switched to Chrome, and it worked much better. Now, on my husband's laptop, Chrome won't let me log in to ATS (keep getting kicked back to "log in"), but Firefox WILL.
What is up with that???!!!

Hard drive ( HDD ) is easy to replace. From the back of the laptop is a cover with some screws ( a bigger cover ).
Unscrew that cover and 2 or 3 screws that hold hard drive in place and than just pull the hard drive to the opposite site from the connectors.

About Babylon and Delta it is not so bad but it is annoying. So no danger there.

For the Chrome it might be some settings for privacy or something like that. That I will check but no big deal as well...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If there is no sound from the mother board check the RAM (memory)

Its one of the first things to initialize when you switch it on.

There should be a trap door of sorts on the bottom of the laptop, take it off and remove the memory and put it back in again.

If you have 2 memory sticks in there try them both one at a time, its unlikely that both of them would go.

No noise or fan... in order I would try memory, cpu, motherboard.

If the fans not even coming on I doubt its the hard disk.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

downgrades are free at pretty much anywhere you go. just ask for windows 7

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

You mean run Ubuntu on the laptop i'm using now? This doesn't have any of my stuff on it.
How would download Ubuntu live DVD on this one make the dead one turn on??

The dead laptop was unable to recognize the external HD stuff, too.

1) Download Ubuntu live DVD on other machine and burn it on DVD.
2) Turn on your laptop and start pressing F2 key
3) If you are lucky
you will get to BIOS.
4) In bios move with left key to boot options and set DVDRW as first bootable device
5) Press F10 and Enter
6) Laptop will restart and than put your DVD in
7) If your laptop will start reading DVD than when it loads go to the option " try live DVD " or something similar
8) When Ubuntu is running explore it and by the option " home" you should see on the left side your hard drive
9) Click on it and there is your data from the hard drive

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
If there is no sound from the mother board check the RAM (memory)

Its one of the first things to initialize when you switch it on.

There should be a trap door of sorts on the bottom of the laptop, take it off and remove the memory and put it back in again.

If you have 2 memory sticks in there try them both one at a time, its unlikely that both of them would go.

No noise or fan... in order I would try memory, cpu, motherboard.

If the fans not even coming on I doubt its the hard disk.

That is no job for her

The best thing is to try Ubuntu so that she can see if the hard drive is the problem but RAM is not a bad idea also and it's easy to do.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Try first this :

turn on your laptop and start pressing key F2.
If you will get to BIOS than there is hope that we can do something otherwise try to take out RAM stack and put it back in and repeat F2 step.

If that does not work than you should go to some workshop to have computer checked because in your place I would not take apart whole laptop and play with it if you don't know what you are doing

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

That is no job for her
True dat!!!

The best thing is to try Ubuntu so that she can see if the hard drive is the problem but RAM is not a bad idea also and it's easy to do.
But would that allow me to salvage my data from the HD in the dead guy? Or just show me if it's the HD that's the prob?

I'm leaning toward just ordering a new machine online......and asking for windows 7. But maybe I should go buy one at a place that will replace it if it's a lemon. We have a microcenter here. they've got good reviews.
I VERY MUCH appreciate everyone's help here, though.

Have we pretty much ruled OUT that it's just a defunct battery??

That's about as far as I was willing to go. I HATE wrestling with stuff like that. Hell, I still have an old-timey clamshell cheapo phone - no touchscreen, just text and calls. I have thought about getting an android or smartphone or whatever, but....was comfy with my laptop win 7 and clamshell phone.

I just want stuff to WORK when I turn it on. (Like I said - I'm just a user, not a techie, and of all the things I WANT to learn while I still have time, laptop fixes are at, like, the bottom of the list.) Sorry, I know you guys are enthusiasts. I'm GLAD you're around.

If you want some help sewing together a dress, or making a pattern for one, I can help you!! Oh. Wait. There's not a "seamstress help" forum.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Try first this :

Nothing. Nothing at all. No sounds, no screen, nothing.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

That is no job for her
True dat!!!

But would that allow me to salvage my data from the HD in the dead guy? Or just show me if it's the HD that's the prob?

I'm leaning toward just ordering a new machine online......and asking for windows 7. But maybe I should go buy one at a place that will replace it if it's a lemon. We have a microcenter here. they've got good reviews.
I VERY MUCH appreciate everyone's help here, though.

Have we pretty much ruled OUT that it's just a defunct battery??

That's about as far as I was willing to go. I HATE wrestling with stuff like that. Hell, I still have an old-timey clamshell cheapo phone - no touchscreen, just text and calls. I have thought about getting an android or smartphone or whatever, but....was comfy with my laptop win 7 and clamshell phone.

I just want stuff to WORK when I turn it on. (Like I said - I'm just a user, not a techie, and of all the things I WANT to learn while I still have time, laptop fixes are at, like, the bottom of the list.) Sorry, I know you guys are enthusiasts. I'm GLAD you're around.

If you want some help sewing together a dress, or making a pattern for one, I can help you!! Oh. Wait. There's not a "seamstress help" forum.

Laptop should work without a battery if it is plugged in to power. So that rules the battery out.

With Ubuntu you should be able to rescue your data because I don't think that the whole hard drive is gone maybe just some sectors...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Try first this :

Nothing. Nothing at all. No sounds, no screen, nothing.

Try to take out RAM's out. They look like that :

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

AhhH!! Thanks for the visual!! Was just surfing looking for that very thing!

Okay, I'll try that next - but right now I have to go run errands...thanks, you guys.

Will keep you posted!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join