It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victims No More: Concealed Carry Coming to Chicago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Well this is certainly a turn-around to say the least !!

The Illinois State legislature is set to pass a CCW law !!

Chicago will be the biggest target

The city that has long been synonymous with gun control, rampant crime, and the senseless killing of citizens is about to become a city in which law-abiding citizens can carry guns to defend their lives and the lives of their families.

Thanks to Illinois state lawmakers, concealed carry is coming to Chicago with or without Gov. Pat Quinn's (D) support, because the legislation passed with a veto-proof majority.

And while there are the usual naysayers warning that concealed carry will turn the Windy City into the Wild West, the AP reports there are many Chicago citizens eager to be able, finally to defend themselves from gang violence and criminal attack.
Wild Chicago !

The bill sitting on Quinn's desk is a hard-fought compromise between conservative downstate lawmakers who opposed most gun restrictions and anti-gun lawmakers from Chicago and other urban areas. The legislation requires state police to issue a concealed-carry permit to any gun owner with a state-issued Firearm Owners Identification card, and who passes a background check, pays a $150 fee and undergoes 16 hours of training.

It's not as stringent as concealed carry laws in California, New York and a handful of others states, which give law enforcement authorities more power to deny permits. But it's more restrictive than earlier proposals by gun rights advocates, including one that would have superseded all local gun restrictions. For example, it won't wipe out Chicago and Cook County's ban on assault weapons.
Chicago prepares for new concealed carry gun law

I wonder what the Police Department and the 'Mayor' will do ?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Do you want to know what would be a better solution?

Bring in the drones. Not the armed ones, but for the collection of int.

Find the gangs.
Find their lairs, their ammo-caches.
Raid them!

Use the national guard or SWAT or whatever needed - bring the war to those who brought it into a normal city. Demilitarize those zones.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Easier said than done my friend.

Chicago is a complicated place.

Most efforts have failed.

It would take a full military take-over to solve the gang problem.

Big underground money involved.

Added:
They've been 'raiding' for a long time, the stuff keeps getting 'shipped' in;

November 14, 2001

SOUTH SIDE — Chicago police and other agencies have launched an investigation after a raid at a Chicago Housing Authority high-rise netted 1,000 rounds of ammunition, two assault rifles, a handgun and a grenade.

Public Housing Section Cmdr. Ernest Brown said it was unusual to find so much firepower in one raid, noting that the two rifles were "military-type armaments designed for maximum kill potential."

CHA raid nets ammunition, grenade

edit on Jul-01-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I am very interested to see how this will effect the city of Chicago over the next few years.

I couldn't honestly predict the outcome of this measure!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Reply to post by SearchLightsInc

The numbers wont change much.

Most of Chicagos shootings are between two parties who are prihibited from gun ownership in the first place so self defense use wont factor much at all.

The only real change is the minor restoration of some liberty for the rest of the residents there.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Easier said than done my friend.

Chicago is a complicated place.

Most efforts have failed.

It would take a full military take-over to solve the gang problem.

Big underground money involved.

Added:
They've been 'raiding' for a long time, they stuff keeps getting 'shipped' in;

November 14, 2001

SOUTH SIDE — Chicago police and other agencies have launched an investigation after a raid at a Chicago Housing Authority high-rise netted 1,000 rounds of ammunition, two assault rifles, a handgun and a grenade.

Public Housing Section Cmdr. Ernest Brown said it was unusual to find so much firepower in one raid, noting that the two rifles were "military-type armaments designed for maximum kill potential."

CHA raid nets ammunition, grenade

edit on Jul-01-2013 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

I was a cop in neighboring Wisconsin during the 70's until '81. Chicago was a war zone then. In fact the current gun laws were born of those times. Obviously, it has not helped, but we still hear the hue and cry for more laws being raised by certain groups of people.
The debacle that was the Boston Bombing response by "law enforcement" should indicate to most rational folks that the police/quasi military approach is inefficient at best. The trampling of rights and the failure to apprehend one lone, injured man, until a citizen found him after the Draconian lockdown was lifted, can only be called a fail.
I think that we all, ultimately, are responsible for the preservation of our own life. If there were no cops, no society and no one to stand between me and the lion, I would sure like to have something powerful enough to stop him without my having to close with him and risk injury or death.
Concealed carry will bring peace of mind to people who are capable and willing to defend themselves but not inclined to look for trouble or defy the odds by engaging in risky behavior. In other words, people who are using their wits and wisdom to protect themselves will continue to do so. They will hardly strap on a shootin' iron and go confront the gangs or look for gunfights. They will just feel better and more empowered, and that persona will be a deterrent to would be criminals. Easy victims are their forte, not someone who will fight back.
You will still see gang on gang gun violence in Chicago, but I suspect that there will be less crime against the citizenry.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Coming from Texas, now living in Chicago this is some soft southern blues to my ears! YeeHaw!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Ahh...another hurdle cleared! The only real hurdle remaining will be how tricky it is to get that training in. I suppose if they wanted to they could try to legislate to provide for one teacher, and flrclass siEs gibe a maximum of 2 students, and limit cc licenses to a handful of individuals. I don't think they're going to try to pull one of those maneuvers though. I'm looking forward to getting myself and my wife cc licensed finally. Although...i'm more interested in investing in a licensed cc training school. Imagine the volume of enrollees about to hit!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

They will still be victims.... of stray bullets.

Im excited to see how this turns out. My guess is that the collateral damage to property and human life of multiple firearms being discharged will end it.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
People make a big deal about the Concealed Carry laws in Calif being so strict.

But in fact they are not unless you live in a big city.

I could walk in and get a CCW in a number of counties in calif with no "big" cities.

In fact this is how many of the liberal elite get there CCWs because they have summer homes in rural counties that issue CCWs

I know i could get a CCW in Sierra County Calif because the paper work for a CCW in that county was the same as for a unlimited explosive permit that i held there for a number of years
edit on 2-7-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Hmm I am trying hard to think how politicians will defend their agenda when crime in Chicago goes down from this.

I'm excited to see what they can pull out of their ass

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ArnoldNonymous

Simple: immediately after the law goes into place the CIA will covertly begin pumping more funding into the gangs. They will artificially make crime go up thus "proving" that CCW increases crime.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well threaders I'll tell you what. Since I do live on the South Side of Chicago, I will be retaining my CCW when all is said and done and since i'm on ATS.... I've give you guys a play by play of how it feels to be in the murder capital and be able to "Throw Lead" back at those who would otherwise want to take your life.

It's glorious~

There's many ways anyone one of us can "debate" ccw in Illinois. There are many valid points and there are some that just seem illogical. If your not a citizen in the "Chicagoland" area however I would not expect them/you to understand the "liberty and freedom" this law brings.

Note: There are many places you still can't carry I.E: Stadiums/busses/trains/grocery store et cetera (which is pretty logical as you can always stash your gun in your car) Regardless, you make one wrong turn in Chicago and you might really need this Gun to get out of the situation you find yourself in. That can be said for any of the major cities I ventured to as well.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
Do you want to know what would be a better solution?

Bring in the drones. Not the armed ones, but for the collection of int.

Find the gangs.
Find their lairs, their ammo-caches.
Raid them!

Use the national guard or SWAT or whatever needed - bring the war to those who brought it into a normal city. Demilitarize those zones.

Every member of every street gang should be prosecuted as a domestic terrorist. After all that is what they do. They terrorize the communities they live in. They are not Shriners or the Knights of Columbus, and are far from being Joaquin Murietta.

I am all for concealed carry in gang infested areas. Open carry is good as well.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The numbers wont change much.

Most of Chicagos shootings are between two parties who are prihibited from gun ownership in the first place so self defense use wont factor much at all.

That is so right on the money. Good victory for rights, but won't change the numbers.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

They will still be victims.... of stray bullets.

Im excited to see how this turns out. My guess is that the collateral damage to property and human life of multiple firearms being discharged will end it.

The stray bullets will be coming from the gang bangers. People who take the classes to get the permits will be much more accurate and careful of not causing collateral damage.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That is so right on the money. Good victory for rights, but won't change the numbers.

i thought of this too, but i think the numbers will change a bit. gangs do have wars and shootouts, but arming citizens will decrease the amount of victims.

sure, the murder rate will stay high for a while, but robberies, muggings, and attacks on average people will go down.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
They want you to take a 16 hour course and pay 150 a year to qualify for a permitt to carry. I live in Iowa and its any course or trained officer qualifies you, even an online course. And it's only 50 bucks every five years. I think a 16 hour gun safety course better teach you not only gun safety but how too build a dam gun off a 3d printer too. That's ridiculous, a 150 buck's too is obnoxious also. It should be free, it's a civil right not a damn rent a center.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
This new law will do absolutely nothing to decrease the senseless drive-by shootings in Chicago. A majority of them come from one specific area in the city. They need more firepower than the police can provide. They need to go in and kick ass and put the guys away permanently and while they are in prison, not be allowed to coo-ordinate from prison.

If you were to eliminate the deaths from this area alone the deaths it would be less than most major cities. The news makes it look like the Wild Wild West in Chicago, which it is not. This is one of the nicest and cleanest places to live in the USA.

I do welcome the new law so I can carry a pistol legally soon. It took the Supreme Court to override our assanine politicians and was long overdue.

top topics

join