It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Fail: New York Gives Up on Hybrid Buses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
New York City has been using some 'green' energy buses for a few years now.

But they stopped buying them and are apparently retrofitting many with new diesel engines !!!

The electric motors are breaking down and are super expensive to repair.

I guess it all comes down to money one way or another as usual.

In a reversal of greenism, Michael Bloomberg's New York Metropolitan Transit Agency is giving up on hybrid transportation.

Mayor Bloomberg has for years been a champion of every new chic idea that comes down the pike. He's tried to cajole food companies into banning salt in foods. Bloomberg has eyed banning styrofoam containers, he's banned restaurants and convenience stores from selling large soda servings; his city has even banned people listening to headphones that are too loud.

But one cause the city is souring on is hybrid buses.

The New York Post reports that the city hasn't bought a new hybrid bus in three years and is now moving to retrofit many of the ones it has with diesel engines.

The MTA is reporting that it will retrofit 389 hybrid electric buses with diesel engines because the hybrid engines are too unreliable and too expensive to repair.

"The electric-traction motors are burning out. They’re so expensive to replace that it’ll be cheaper to stick a diesel engine in there," a source inside the MTA told the Post.

Green Fail: New York Gives Up on Hybrid Buses

I wonder who made big money from this boondoggle ?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I ... have my doubts about your source.

I couldn't find anything about this on the NYT, which is supposed to have reported about this topic.

I found something from Daimler, stating that they delivered hybrid buses to the MTA/NYC in 2011-2012. Orion was closed at that time. Daimler Buses North America still exists.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
How much will it cost to retrofit these buses with new engines? And Bloomberg who has stopped large soda sales and other thing because they are bad for people is ok with dumping around 2K more pollution belching diesel engines on the street. Something smells of kickback.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
reply to post by ManFromEurope

The 'source' is the New York Post

MTA hasn't purchased a hybrid bus in three years - and new diesel engines could make a return

This is the funniest part of that article.

The switch comes at a time when both President Obama and Mayor Bloomberg are calling on government to reduce emissions by using cleaner fuel sources and adopting more efficient fuel standards.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I am curious about something if I might ask. Do you see the failure of these Hybrids as a good thing? If so why?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
reply to post by xuenchen

I am curious about something if I might ask. Do you see the failure of these Hybrids as a good thing? If so why?

No it's not good.

It's too bad money and politics has over-taken the so called 'green' industries.

'Green' is expensive and actually causes a lot of pollution during mining of raw materials and production.
And many 'green' materials are plastic, which is mostly petroleum based.

I think diesel engines have come a long way though. They spit out less pollution now.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

The new diesel engines are about the cleanest engines on the road, and are only getting better. They're not the most efficient, but there have been huge improvements, and over the next few years new standards will make them even better. Thanks to the addition of DEF truck diesel exhaust is now basically water and nitrogen.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Bio fueled diesels are about the cleanest you can go.

The batteries for hybrids are as dirty as you can get.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

The 'source' is the New York Post

MTA hasn't purchased a hybrid bus in three years - and new diesel engines could make a return

Ah, sorry, I misread it as the "Times". All ok then.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   

OK so how much "tax payer" money went into whatever "green" company that is now bankrupt - and how much money are the investors going to recover while leaving the taxpayers broke? That's how these "green" companies work while under the "obozo plan".

This is criminal.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

I bet the graft has a major part on all steps.

They buy, then create a problem, then buy again.

new topics

top topics

join