It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rockin July 4th, 80's Style! :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Happy July 4th everyone! I hope ya'll have a happy, healthy, safe, sane 4th! I plan a great day. Of course the usual fare...some sparklers, fireworks, good food and good friends and laughs and general good times.

Got to thinking tho...remembering the 80's. Things seemed better than. Perhaps it was because I was leaner and meaner and younger.
The food tasted better...the cookout meats and salads and such...I got my theories relevant to that but that is for another thread topic. Things seemed simpler...maybe when we are older, we kinda look back on the olden days with rose colored glasses somewhat...I dunno.

Even tv seemed more entertaining...funnier sitcoms, better mystery shows and none of those phoney reality shows that are anything but real...all staged hooey.
I plan on playing my 80's music vids and cd discs and eating hearty.

The music was better. I really loved rockin the 80's. The music groups gave you your monies worth at concerts and on music videos and guest tv appearances. There was lotsa color and energy and even costumes of sorts...not just some zombie bunch like now, standing still and performing in clothes that look old and dirty and slept in. Skin head hair...they stand stiff in one spot and never move. Some even have the thousand yard stare...is there anything even in there, behind those eyes?

I loved the way David Lee Roth or the Motley bunch or Poison crew or Angus Young/AC/DC would move around...do splits, back flips and so on. You could not only "feel" the energy but it was contagious. Sure, my mister used to make fun of some of the jewelry/makeup and long hair at times but he loved the music just the same as I did. I kinda liked the long hair and some of the guys that were just too darned "pretty".
Joey Tempest from the band Europe, for instance. Yum. You went to a concert, ya got lights and pyrotechnics and ultra sound. The crowds actually looked happy and like they were having fun. I just would feel naturally "happy" and get so much energy from the music from back in the day....the 80's. I loved Poison and Motley Crue and AC/DC and Europe and Queensryche and so many of the others. Even the Mick, (Mick Jagger) and his buds...energy up the kazzoo. I sometimes think the oldies groups still rock pretty well...older, like fine wine, getting better with age.

I liked the muscle cars. Then, they started phazing out some...stoppped making certain ones...yet, they are starting to make a come back...Camaros and Challengers and such. Glad for that. They just plain "look" better!

We had antics of some politicians to really laff about...oh wait...we still have that sometimes....take "Weiner", for instance...(congressman/senator)...I can't recall right now. Clinton stold the show at times with his various antics. The "Bush" baby came later. Sure, the 80's was not without it's own set of problems and tragedies....maybe it's just me, reliving my youth and looking back. They say you can never go home...that nothing is forever or stays the same...so true. It feels like fun to try tho. Hubby remembers how I'd get energized from the 80's rock so whenever he wants his shed neatened up, he brings out the portable disc player and puts on my favs and as if by magic, his shed gets done up by this ole fairy princess that dreams she still looks like Lita Ford.
or Stevie Nicks or some such.

Well, have a great holiday all. Eat, drink and make merry. Be safe with the 4th "stuff". I long for the day when Patriotism will feel more "right" again. Blessings and love to all!

edit on 1-7-2013 by shrevegal because: spelling error

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by shrevegal

Everyone loves an 80's party

Be safe and careful out there.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The 4th is a great holiday....get drunk, and play with explosives!

What could go wrong?

Seriously, I plan on doing both of these things...
(though maybe not in that order....)

I like nice, big fireworks. (and thanks to all this rain, very little worry of fire risk, etc.)

edit on 1-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hi Gazrok and ElOmen, Thanx for stopping by. Yep, have fun...stay sweet and cool, you two.

For sure, I'm gonna make home made potato salad....none of that store bought, bland stuff that tastes like raw potatoes and paste. No cubes of red and blue jello with cool whip on top...cake from scratch instead, topped with homemade icing and blue berries and strawberries. Fresh lemonade instead of soda. When life gives ya lemons...bring out the tequila.
There will be beer of course.
And hot dogs and other usual American style fare.

Nice weather here in Louisiana so far, so should still be fireworks...at home kind and the big show with big ones at the Red River or the Horse Race Track. Sparklers for the kids. Music for us adults too, 80's style, of course.

Remember when gasoline was under $2?
There will be "gas" here as gonna serve up plenty of good ole pork n' beans!

Have fun all and stay safe and well. Love to all here at ATS!
I hope some other folks will add to this and tell what all they plan.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
A cake is a good idea. We'll have to make one.

We're just doing some hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill, along with some fries...good old Americana....

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I hope you have a wonderful 4th as well sweet friend

We have no plans yet. We do know that we will visit the fireworks store the day after so everything will be buy one get one, then the next day even cheaper! And then we will have a blast

I was born in the 80s so it's all cool with me

I like Prince and it's cool that his purple rain album came out the year I was born ... 1984
my mom loved that album and movie as well.

Anyway ... Be safe and god speed

Peace and love to you
-nat the blue eyed cat-

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

There's a quiet little spot near where I live. While everyone is going out and drinking and playing with explosives (
) I'm going to take my son fishing. We'll have sandwiches, sodas. No music, no crowds, no noise.

Just a dad and his son.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yep, we're just keeping it as family too. I've got all kinds of mortars, fountains, rockets, etc. to let off (if the weather will allow it).

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Hi Natalia, you cute lil youngin. you.
. See, the 80's were the best....you got born then and we here are all glad for that and adore you. Love your endeavors you share with us at short stories forum. Have the best Holiday ever!!

Yep "Purple Rain" was cool as nine. So many good songs from that time period that I miss. There are a few good groups now but somehow, it's not the same. Take care. Hugs.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hi beezer, Now that sounds like a plan...a good one...always great to spend time relaxing and enjoying being with kids/grandkids and such. Fishin? I may try some fishin today on the Red River here in Shreveport/Bossier. I LOVE fishin....somethin about the water...so soothing. Fishin has always been my favorite....next to hunting and dirt bike riding, of course.
I hope ya'll catch that really big one! Have a swell 4th!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well i wont be doing anything. Thats because im here stuck in England (worst luck). But if i were there i would be shakin and a shimmiying away until the early hours!. So i just want to wish you Shrevegal and all good Americans a great day
...And turn up those 80s tunes so i can hear them

edit on 1-7-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

John Cleese once was asked what he did for the 4th of July.

He replied, "Nothing. But I do celebrate the 5th. Glad we got rid of you all!"

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Hi TheDoctor, I hope you have a great week and fun weekend....dosen't have to be a "special" occassion to wish you, my friend, a good time. We sure do love ya around here and you must consider yourself invited and here in spirit on the 4th and always.. Blessings and hugs and the best of regards always, to a swell person.

You too Beezer, you are a delight as well....hugs to you both!!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Thanks for that shrevegal. I sure would love to be in the states right now more than anything. And thanks for the kind words

top topics

join