It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

July 4th and "The rockets red glare"...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Happy 4th of July everyone. I hope it will always be a safe and happy 4th for one and all!
I hope this is o.k., so here goes...not long ago, I wrote a short story for that forum. I am gonna try and see if I can share it here because I feel like what was written can make us all think a little about some of those words while we shoot off our fireworks and light our sparklers and have our fun. (I plan on doing a more "fun" topic for the 4th too, tomorrow). Yet, a pause for thought for now...my words/story/short.

It was a beautiful, sunny day, like any other. Birds sang a happy chorus and their lil peeps chirped safely in their nests. A soft, spring breeze ruffled the fur of a tiny kitten as it chased a butterfly across a field of fragrant wild flowers. Magnolia trees and dogwoods were in bloom. A child rushed home for supper and teased his sister at the dinner table....then, it happened! A white, blinding flash of light...the boy cries his last tear as he wonders, "Why"? A soldier is sprawled in a meadow and swears he can smell his moms fresh baked apple pie before he leaves this world. His brother in arms thinks of his wife and child and wishes he could hold them one more time...before the light of life flickers in his eyes for one last time...then all fades to black.

An old woman somewhere hugs a picture of her long deceased husband as she waits for the prevailing winds to deliver the nuclear winter. Old Glory is charred and tattered and on the ground in front of the Old Soldiers Home. They died sick and tired and alone. The rockets red glare, the b*mbs bursting in air...all for what? If life is a game, then war is a lose, lose situation for us all! There will be no prize, no brass ring. Perhaps all of the above mentioned was just a bad dream in the mind of some entity or a bad thought in the minds eye of someone/something. Let us hope and pray that is all it is or ever will be. Peace on earth, good will toward men, should be words to live by, not just some words in a song at Christmas time. Bless us one and all with peace and love and safety...this July 4th and for all time!
Like I said...this one a bit of a downer I know so will be doing a different.fun topic soon as I get a lil sleep.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
May the rockets red glare only be from fireworks...the tears, because junior didn't get enough fireworks of his choice for home fun. May the soldiers get an extra good meal and no worries or pain. Let no American suffer from the pain of lonliness and despair and fear. Let there be world peace so the boys can come home...and an end to useless wars based on lies...so that Old Glory can fly proudly and high and with dignity. Let it be that we all die of old age instead of from the ravages of war. Love to all!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Hi all...I sure hope folks finally start to comment/visit here and "get it"...I love this country...just not the way it is run sometimes relevant to some of those who "run it".

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by shrevegal
Hi all...I sure hope folks finally start to comment/visit here and "get it"...I love this country...just not the way it is run sometimes relevant to some of those who "run it".

I 'got it', unfortunately, not many do anymore...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thank you for this thought provoking post.
It is all too easy sometimes to get caught up in the little things, and lose sight of what really matters.

Enjoy your Independence day, and the independence that comes with it. Remember why we have it in the first place, and where you stand in keeping it. I am grateful that mosquitoes are my biggest worry for that day. I am grateful that my children will be safe. I am grateful that we are not being displaced and killed like so many other families in the world at the moment.

Yes, thank you shrevegal for this thought this morning.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Hi and thank you both for stopping by and commenting. It is my hope and wish that many people would stop and think and realize the truth of things. Freedom never comes without a cost....I would hope that the cost would not be relevant to the horrors of war and bloodshed.

Hugs and love to all on July 4th and always. Love to you...and blessings. Have a joyous, safe 4th all!

new topics

top topics

join