It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama, Bush heading to the same African city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
So everyone believes in pure coincidence and happenstance right? I mean.. It happens. What are the odds of a current and former President 'just happening' to be in a foreign city and outside those Capitals frequented as transit points like many in Europe? I'm sure it happens

..well, actually.. does it ever happen?

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — President Barack Obama and former President George W. Bush are planning to be in the same city a world away from home, but the question is whether they will get together.

The Democratic president was to fly Monday into Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, the last stop on a weeklong tour of Africa that wraps up Tuesday. His Republican predecessor coincidentally also plans to be there for a conference on African women organized by the George W. Bush Institute.

There isn't proof of dirty deeds or evil plots being planned...but in a world where I personally do tend to look a little oddly on coincidence, this one is pushing credulity for playing off like it's a "Oops! Guess who'll be in town at the same time! Look at that... ".

Their wives plan to team up at the conference Tuesday for a joint discussion on promoting women's education, health and economic empowerment. President Bush plans to be in attendance, before delivering his own speech there the following day, after the Obamas will have left.
Source

At least the First Ladies will be meeting, but no word on the male half of the four-some. I suppose that in the end, a coincidence can be nothing but a coincidence, too. Nothing more to it. . . . Right?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to plan plots domestically?
Now their possible meeting is even news worthy.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Lots coming out of the wood work eh:

Mod Note:

15k.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or Post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on the Websites or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Riiight. Nothing more to it. Why have just one security detail when you can have two of them?

Some days I think they were there avoiding a major catastrophe at the home land. It's a follow the money year.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I think Bush's presence was probably scheduled before Obama's.

The clever White House staff probably saw this and decided to play it smart.

Now they have the perfect excuse if and when something should go wrong.

They can simply 'Blame Bush'

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Hi Wrabbit,

Bush is actually already in Africa. He has been at the Women's Clinic in Zambia painting and renovating the center with some volunteers of students from SMU. It's part of his initiative to fight cancer.

He goes every year and last year he skipped 4th of July to be in Africa volunteering. People don't know this because he is very quiet about it.

Here are some photos of him painting: (Don't worry; he's not painting any puppies on their walls!)

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 1-7-2013 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2013 by texasgirl because: Wrong word

edit on 1-7-2013 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Personally, I think Obama is avoiding Bush. Probably doesn't want to be told 'I told you so'.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Happens all the time, right? How many former and future Presidents were in Dallas, TX on 22 November 1963? They didn't all meet in the same place, but now we know some of them turned up closer than we thought.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hey Wrabbit,

Just saw on CNN that the two are participating in a wreath laying ceremony to commemorate the site of the embassy bombings.

A photo OP is still a photo OP

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I would imagine that George Bush's schedule was made before Obamas. Obama is hooking up with Bush (who is there for a good cause), so he can grab Bush's coat tails on this. That'd be my guess. (it's just a guess)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Call me cynical, but I seriously question whether George Bush gives a damn about African women, but instead cares more about the large paycheck he'll be receiving for giving his speech.

Although if he's been as smart (or sly) as Tony Blair has since leaving office he will have amassed a considerable fortune already (that is if he didn't already have one).

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
edit on 1/7/13 by Kram09 because: typos

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on this.[

They are actually there for Laura Bush .. not really George.
CBS News

Mr. Bush and his wife, Laura, are in Africa promoting their initiative, Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon, which focuses on fighting cancer around the world. On Tuesday, the Bushes will host an "African First Ladies Summit" in Tanzania, which first lady Michelle Obama will take part in. The summit, per the Bush Institute, will focus on the role African first ladies "play in promoting women's education, health and economic empowerment."

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The Week

Bush is "revered in Africa," says Susan Crabtree at The Washington Examiner. "Even as he alienated other international allies with his wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Bush is beloved across the continent for his legacy of combating AIDS in the region." Bush's President's Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief, or PEPFAR, committed $15 billion to fighting HIV/AIDS in Africa, and is credited with saving up to 2 million lives and giving hope to a generation of Africans.

Obama said on Friday that Bush "deserves enormous credit" for PEPFAR, but while the president has continued the program — and started his own $3.5 billion anti-hunger program, Feed the Future — he has cut funding for AIDS relief in Africa. Obama explains this two ways: He can't get the same level of funding out of the GOP-controlled House, and he's encouraging Africa to take charge of its public health programs. "Everything we do is designed to make sure that Africa is not viewed as dependent, as a charity case, but is instead viewed as a partner," Obama said en route to South Africa.

On the ground in Africa, though, that translates into less foreign aid. And while Bush has largely dropped out of sight in the U.S., he has continued to visit Africa. He visited Zambia twice in the past two years, and embarked on his third trip last week. Bush and his wife are helping to fix up a clinic, as part of their Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon anti-cancer initiative, with the George W. Bush Institute.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

They are actually there for Laura Bush .. not really George.

That's besides the point. It said George Bush was giving a speech.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
I think Bush's presence was probably scheduled before Obama's.

The clever White House staff probably saw this and decided to play it smart.

Now they have the perfect excuse if and when something should go wrong.

They can simply 'Blame Bush'

Which is par for the course (no pun intended) for the Obama administration.....

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

Call me cynical, but I seriously question whether George Bush gives a damn about African women, but instead cares more about the large paycheck he'll be receiving for giving his speech.

Although if he's been as smart (or sly) as Tony Blair has since leaving office he will have amassed a considerable fortune already (that is if he didn't already have one).

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
edit on 1/7/13 by Kram09 because: typos

Well watch how he feels about simply touch an african in this video! It says something about you also if you choose to wipe your hands on someone elses and not your own shirt.

Personally I think it makes it easier for a clandestine meeting being way off in Africa, but if so I would think there is to be someone elses that wants no possibility of being seen with them joining in.

edit on 4-7-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

You might find this interesting. Yes they WERE together.

Africa trip link

new topics

top topics

join