It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaving this week for 4 or 5 weeks in AK gonna sharpen my skills

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I have taken some time off of work due to some health issues I am having and have 6 weeks until I go back to my Dr and we decide what course of action to take. After much discussion with my wife over the last couple of weeks, we've decided that this is a good time to for me to go to AK and check on and do some work at our property.

She can hold down the farm here and take care of the animals and daily responsibilities here so I'm going to be leaving Tuesday or Wednesday for AK to spend 4 or 5 weeks on some land we have up there and sharpen my survival skills while I'm there.

So being that my children will be gone for 6 weeks to Fl to be with their mom for the summer and we have some property about 70 miles NW of Anchorage on the Yentna River I'll be taking this time to get some things done there. There are no utilities on the land and the only shelter is an old hunting cabin of about 400sf so to me it's going to be a well needed break and time to sharpen my survival skills.

There's an abundance of wildlife and as well as fish in the river so I wouldn't really call it a survival situation but as anyone knows who is experienced in the outdoors it can turn into a survival situation in the blink of an eye, especially in the wilderness of AK. I haven't been to the property in 2 years now so for all I know the cabin could be dilapidated or damaged from bears and storms so it's going to be interesting when I get there.

I will be doing some work on the cabin but my main goal is to test my skills and see how rusty I've become in the last couple of years and hopefully come up with some new ideas and techniques. I am still on the fence as to what weaponry I will take and am really considering just taking one of my bows, though my wife is leery about that and is insisting on me taking a firearm for bears but to me that is going to really add an edge that I don't want to add.

So needless to say after sometime this week I will be absent from ATS for a while but hopefully I'll have some good pics and some new survival ideas when I return in August.

The supplies I will be taking are my MOLLE BoB pack with all my standard survival items including, US ARMY Field Medic Trauma Kit, OKC Kukri, K-Bar knife, Mirror, Magnifying Glass for fire starting, Torch Striker for fire starting, Magnesium Firestarter, Dryer lint and petroleum jelly tender, Rat Traps, Azimuth Compass, pack of 24 chemlights, Wind Up LED flashlight, 2 Poncho Liners, 200' of para chord and 150 yrds of 20# test Berkley Fireline braided fishing line,, Sewing Kit, 5 MRE's (for emergency), and Mess Kit.

Of course I am taking 2 fly rods and tackle, my Hoyt Carbon Element bow, and possibly my Remington MDL 700 in .300 WinMag as well as change of clothes and the necessary camping supplies such as ECWS Military sleeping bag system and a tent in case the cabin is destroyed.

While I will have a bow and maybe a gun I will be making myself live as primitive as possible while there and trying to push my bare basics survival skills as far as I can. I am going to be focusing as much as possible on trapping and open fire cooking as well as fishing.

I will also have a Sat Phone that we purchased about 6 months ago, it's an Inmarsat IsatPhone Pro an I will be doing a review thread on it as well as the solar charger I have when I return. So far I am impressed with it but as with all Sat Phones or any satellite technology, the closer to the poles you get the more chance of not loosing signal. However according to all the technical info I read it should get signal where our property is located.

So if all goes well I will be back in touch with the ATS community with some new great ideas and some good stories to share.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

I am so envious of you! Quit stealing from my "list"!

I hope you have a marvelous time and get back into the swing of things very quickly. Please be safe above all things. I will be awaiting your return and the stories of your adventures. Good luck!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Jealous... love adventures. However,

...though my wife is leery about that and is insisting on me taking a firearm for bears

I second that opinion. 12 gauge pump with slug barrel. Bring scare cartridges, slugs and shot for hunting fowl or varmint. If that slung over your shoulder on "sharpening" forays is too much of a burden, at least holster a .44 mag (just in case).

The Brown bears you see aren't any problem at all.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Due to your health issues, whatever they may be, I would suggest bringing another human. I do not know what ails you, but a second body is always welcome; even in full health.
edit on 1-7-2013 by randomtangentsrme because: I never got the hang of punctuation.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I am still on the fence as to what weaponry I will take and am really considering just taking one of my bows, though my wife is leery about that and is insisting on me taking a firearm for bears but to me that is going to really add an edge that I don't want to add.

Don't be silly. There are grizzlies up there. Be safe. Bring a gun. A big one.

You have a family to think of, they don't want you to get yourself eaten.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I like the idea. Wish I had some land like that up there. Good luck, and have fun! I bet you come back and don't wanna get plugged back in. You need to, though, so we know a bear didn't get ya.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Have fun and be safe. Bring a gun. Better to have and not need than need and not have

edit on 1-7-2013 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2013 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I just told my wife that I'm going to take the .500 S&W Mag, that will be plenty enough defense against any Grizzly's I could come across. Have to ship it to an FFL dealer in Anchorage tomorrow in order to prevent all the hassles of taking it as checked baggage.

reply to post by randomtangentsrme

I was just diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, had my PET scan done and it hasn't spread and won't eefect my ability to this. As far as taking another person, well there's no one else that can go and I would prefer to only have to look after me. I tried to get my brother to go but he can't get off work, he's the only one I would trust to take that could take care of himself. At least I know he will be able to come here from the west side of the state if something happens with our power system or something.

I have the training in survival from my military days and am an avid outdoorsman, absent an injury I'll be just fine, but am taking the Sat Phone just in case. I spent 2 months on the land about 8 years ago in the fall so summer should be easier except for the bugs.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I just told my wife that I'm going to take the .500 S&W Mag, that will be plenty enough defense against any Grizzly's I could come across. Have to ship it to an FFL dealer in Anchorage tomorrow in order to prevent all the hassles of taking it as checked baggage.

Good choice, she'll sleep better. Minor inconvenience to give your little lady peace of mind. And you too. I know what its like to be surprised by a bear. I had one stand on my sleeping bag one time in Yosemite .

I was in it at the time.

Edit: By the way, did I miss the pen-gun flare kit in your gear? The one scenario is you are in the woods with a broken leg and you can't move into a clearing to signal a rescue helo. What do you do as it flies over head?

Pen gun flares.

edit on 1-7-2013 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I figured it was a cancer of sorts.
I'm a fisher and Ab diver, by no means a survivalist. But I've also seen the reality of day to day.
I trust your judgment, just wanted to add my thoughts after reading your post.
I'm relatively young (32), but I've watched my father head plant into a rock while fishing (he can out dive me like no one's business); a co worker break a leg over something as simple as helping take out the trash; my student being surprised in a tent by a bear (she was fine, but obviously shaken); and finding a friends father dead after the short jaunt of our going to pick up a pizza.
This is the only reason I suggest another human. There is always an unknown.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Sounds like fun.

For sanity's sake, I would recommend some mosquito netting. I'm not sure what your wood situation is but I'd recommend a good axe and a saw of some sort.

Also, here's some inspiration:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I agree with Les, I think you're biggest challenge may be mosquitoes and black flies. I would be interested to see if you can find any natural bug repellent. Bears can be a problem but so can a mother moose or a wolverine. Just saying be prepared for everything because it's usually the things you least expect to be a problem that end up ruining your day.
Be safe, learn lots and we'll look forward to you regaling us with tales of your AK adventures. Maybe keep a journal?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Just wanted to say good luck sir and enjoy!

May I suggest some candles and a few good books to keep your mind active during the dark hours.

Look forward to your return and stories.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Text summer should be easier except for the bugs.

We had an Airforce Dude eject over AK at night and he landed safely but due to the Wx it was the next day around noon before SAR could get to his location. He was dead. The mosquitoes were so bad he had jumped in a frigid lake to get away from them. He died of hyperthermia according to the medical inquest. I really would give some thought to bug protection for it is no laughing matter (depending on your location) and a sorry miserable way to be eaten. AK is awesome and I hope you have a wonderful time. I have been in the heat of Thailand for the last couple of months so Alaska really sounds good to me without the black flies and mosquitoes!! It always seems like a black cloud would come boiling out of the ground around lakes when I was fishing and without normal thick clothes and a hat with a head net I would not have been able to stay and fish...Again not everyplace I have been but, it only takes a couple of times to make one a believer!!
I have seen Russians kill Bears with an old double barrel 12 guage and slugs so unless one captures you unaware and wants to make you bear poo it sounds like you are covered against bears. Again good luck and have fun enjoy the challenge.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Mosquitoes are the biggest challenge in that area of the world in the summer time. The Bears are always to be expected and be sure to map out places that they like to eat. You do not want to stumble on their kill when they are hungry or on their cubs who might wander right up to you if they smell something they like. Have a safe trip.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I was just diagnosed with Prostate Cancer,

So sorry to hear that man. Glad you're going to do something you'll enjoy.

I didn't see you mention water or insect repellent in your list (though I have no doubt you have a plan for it). From your posts, I'm sure you're not omitting ANYTHING in your preps for the trip. I realize you will likely rely on natural water supplies, but if you're bringing a filtration device, etc. please share. And insects have to be a problem there, I'd think.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

When you are there, take some time to sit quietly and just kind of absorb your surroundings. It sounds like you have a lot going on, and the air and land there is magical and healing to the soul if nothing else.

When you see the ravens, tell them I send my regards and ask them to help you with your healing process. Same goes for eagle bear and deer. This will be a spiritual journey for you,so sit on a rock next to the river and just allow yourself to become a part of the natural world around you, become connected and allow the land and water to flow through you taking away any negativity you have within your body, both physical and mental. You should come back tired, but fully energized in spirit.

And as many said, bug dope!

Also, take some tobacco, and spread it out where you decide to sit and absorb the surroundings.
Spirit will know what to do.

Most of all, ENJOY. Because you are going where so many would just LOVE to be, myself included, although I will not be returning to Alaska until the spring after next.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I guess I should have noted in my post that I keep Avon Skin So Soft in the pack with my camping supplies and I'm sure Ill use plenty of it. I have some friends and family that live in Anchorage and they say it even works great for Black Flies too.

I will also be keeping a fire at my camp and keep it as smoky as possible when I am at camp since the smoke will deter insects to a great degree.

reply to post by Gazrok

As far as water goes the Yentna river water is probably cleaner than most peoples tap water but there is some sediment in it so I will be filtering it. I usually make my own filtration system out of a 2 liter bottle. I cut the bottle almost in half, turn the top upside down and set it on and into the bottom half. Then I place a piece of cloth such as bandana or piece of sock inside the top at the mouth of the bottle and add fine sand then charcoal followed by course sand, then gravel.

I find this works great and is quick and effective way to filter sediments out of water. However it will not filter biological agents unless you add a good biological media such as peat moss or such. I wont really worry about that in the AK river water, but if I were in a hot or arid region with a lot of stagnant water I would most definitely add a large amount of biological filter media.

Here's a pic I found online of basically what I do only this one doesn't show charcoal which I think is very important as it will filter out any bad taste. I always leave out with a 2 liter bottle of water in my pack and once it is gone I can then make a filter system anywhere I may go and keep my canteen filled.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about the prostate cancer.

I am envious of you having the time to do this and the land to do it on.

Only thing I would say is to get your bow restrung before you head out. Compound bow stringing is not something you want to try your hand at in the wilderness and should it snap you will be without unless you can get to town and have it restrung by someone there. Better to go in already done and have less of a risk of it becoming an issue.

Good luck and I look forward to your posts!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I knew you had something water wise, that you didn't tell us...

Yep, I hear that stuff works great for bugs. Here, I typically do the dryer sheet trick in pockets, and resort to some Deep Woods Off if going in the wilderness here. We just have way too many mosquitoes around here.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join