It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Humans advanced will they invade extraterrestrial civilizations in the name spreading democracy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If Humans advanced will they invade extraterrestrial civilizations in the name spreading democracy?

With advances of space exploration in the future hopefully mankind can now explore the stars and even other planets. With talks of discoveries of possible Earth like planets I really wonder if there are actually any alien civilizations how long will it take before we start declaring war simply in the name of 'liberating' them and spreading democracy? How will it take before Corporations move into the 'liberated' planet and decided steal the resources.

Throughout history humans have militarily invaded other people and exploited like for example

Scramble for Africa

Invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan

If such things happen in our world I can imagine what humans will do if the encounter alien civilizations.

I can imagine many things like:

Carpet bombing

Incriminate killing of civilians

Labeling Freedom Fighters as terrorists

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

With advances of space exploration in the future hopefully mankind can now explore the stars and even other planets. With talks of discoveries of possible Earth like planets I really wonder if there are actually any alien civilizations how long will it take before we start declaring war simply in the name of 'liberating' them and spreading democracy? How will it take before Corporations move into the 'liberated' planet and decided steal the resources.

Throughout history humans have militarily invaded other people and exploited like for example

Scramble for Africa

Invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan

If such things happen in our world I can imagine what humans will do if the encounter alien civilizations.

I can imagine many things like:

Carpet bombing

Incriminate killing of civilians

Labeling Freedom Fighters as terrorists

. . . .

.. HAhahahahahahahaha!!

You seriously had to sit at your computer, think about this, and make a thread about it? LOL!

We have enough to deal with here

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by covertpanther

I made this thread because I want to point out the biggest con on space exploration

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So you believe that we are the top of the heap, huh? And that we truly are a country--which ever one you are from--is truly a democracy? To verify your sincerity with this thread, I would appreciate answers to the above questions and then we can move on to examining what you seem to want to discuss.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Well it just a hypothetical scenario how how we really react because throughout history we have been exploiting other people. We would have done the same should humans became advanced enough to take down a hypothetical alien civilization
edit on 30-6-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

LOL, you don't get to determine the flow of a thread.

TO answer the OP's question.
If the future follows history, then we will only export "democracy" if said aliens have some sort of resource that we can exploit.
Right now, we call people that live on the other side of an imaginary line, aliens. The ones we want to invade? WE go as far as possible to make them appear as non-humans.

That would be easier to do with ET aliens.

Of course, we'd better be sure they are inferior to us, when it comes to weaponry.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I for one keep hoping an advanced extraterrestrial race will invade and spread actual democracy instead of the corporate oligarchy we live under now.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by covertpanther

I think the thread is valid?
You're a fairly new member here.... who knows for how much longer with an attitude like that.

On topic- I'm worried that if we ever do make contact that it may turn hostile due to the fact that we would want to mine resources etc.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Depends on how much oil they have I guess.
It is the religious aspect i think might be a little funny to watch

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Should we ever develop technologies to such extent that allow us manned travel and manned exploration of interstellar space, I think a bigger concern would be in finding another intelligent, yet primitive civilization that possesses greater or equal intelligence, cunning, and ambition such that they GTA our our technology against us, trace our point of origin and come knocking.

We've already clear examples in history to guide our decisions and conduct in encountering other intelligent civilizations out in the beyond. How we'll be treated in return is something else.

In fiction written by Larry Niven, a species of intelligent carnivorous 12ft tall tiger-like aliens called the Kzin got their own foothold on space travel by jump starting their own space faring empire through the enslavement of their first alien contacts.

The Kzin civilization was at an iron-age technological level when an alien race called the Jotok landed and made stealthy first contact with a tribe of primitive hunter/gatherer Kzinti.
The Jotok were interstellar merchants looking for a species they could use as mercenaries.
Once the Jotok had taught the Kzinti how to use high-technology weapons and other devices (including spacecraft), the Kzin rebelled and made their former masters into slaves, as well as the occasional meal. The crest of the Riit (Royal) family appears to be a bite mark, but is in fact a dentate leaf, with the words "From mercenary to master." written around it in Kzinti script.

Yes, that's complete entertainment fiction, but, a lesson from fiction such that would not be a lesson we'd want to learn the hard way.

Niven also wrote a title called The Gripping Hand that details the discovery of a savant-like race of extremely brilliant but territorial and ambitious aliens which would pose an extreme threat to the entire galaxy should they learn the secret of interstellar travel.
It's a fun read posing some interesting questions.

Thus, the concern shouldn't so much be what damage we might do, but, what damage we might do to ourselves in being too friendly or too open.

Telling anyone we meet "We come from [coordinates to Earth]", or even simply pointing out our distant star could be extreme folly.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't be friendly, but, we should also be cautious.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Absolutely we would. Think Avatar. We are a greedy civilization at the top and anything that can benefit them will be had at a toll. Unfortunately we the people will probably find out the hard way that we #ed with wrong world.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I read those also. Very good books! I agree with your post.

I remember that little guy (alien- that was smart at fixing things) . It was awhile ago.

Yeah, the alien in the "the mote in Gods eye" (the first book)

edit on 30-6-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Divide and Conquer is the Human Nature.

We rape, pillager and plunder Everything that crosses OUR path.

If it is innocent we will defile it. If it is vulnerable we will take advantage of it and do absolutely terrible things to it.

It can't be helped because it is just in our nature.

EDIT:
In fact, I suspect that they have already crossed our path and Turned Tail and Run.
edit on 30-6-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

If the future follows history, then we will only export "democracy" if said aliens have some sort of resource that we can exploit.

Cynical but, based on form to date, probably true.

Since Druscilla's started with the science-fiction examples, I can think of no better one than Jem by the late Frederik Pohl. OP, read this book!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I find threads like this fascinating. S&F Op.

I imagine that some time down the road this scenario is likely to occur. As to what extent and what amount of success trying to impose ideology on foreign planets would be, is really anyone's guess.

I feel that since imposing ideologies is a very common occurrence on our wee little rock, it would probably be the same on other rocks, small and large. And just like on our planet, most likely it will be met with discontent.

Will we try to impose democracy on another planet one day? Probably.

Will we be successful? Not likely.

Will we be the ones that another race's/specie's ideology is imposed on to? Most likely, in my opinion.

Another way to look at this is in reverse, where a group of extraterrestrials find themselves on our planet and they have to fit into our ideologies i.e. Alien Nation(movie/tv show).

In all likeliness, I lean toward Hawking's opinion on spacefaring species.

In a series for the Discovery Channel the renowned astrophysicist said it was "perfectly rational" to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere. But he warned that aliens might simply raid Earth for resources, then move on.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said. Prof Hawking thinks that, rather than actively trying to communicate with extra-terrestrials, humans should do everything possible to avoid contact.

He explained: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."
Full Article: Source

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Am I the only one who can't get past the contradiction of calling possible future human space explorers "advanced" while they are out conquering another sentient species.

In all reality, I can't see any technology ever being able to overcome the infinite power source required to travel at faster than light speed. It's just not possible (as I understand it anyway) for matter to travel at light speed...and if we aren't travelling faster than light, then we're taking thousands (or millions) of years just to get to some of the closer stars. Again - as far as I understand.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

We would do what we have done to the rest of the worlds species - cant se why we should behave any different just because the life is on another planet.
If we can dominate another world we will do it for sure.

If it come to direct invasion i dont know, but if we discover a planet with inferior intelligence and weponry to us self, i dont see we try to make any peacefull solutions.
How far we will go depends on how much we can abuse the other species, and how well we are able to communicate with them.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Minus because: i can

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
It is the religious aspect i think might be a little funny to watch

These kinds of comments always somewhat baffle me. I really don't understand why absolute proof of aliens would affect the religious at all...if that's what you were meaning.
I am a Christian myself. Granted, I'm not one of those "Christians" that are all bound by religious dogma and people burning in hell nonsense - but I am an "unorthodox" Christian nonetheless and I do believe that there are likely aliens out there somewhere. I don't think any have ever been to Earth, but that's a different thread.

Why is it you believe that proof of aliens would affect the religious at all? How do aliens landing on Earth negate the belief in God or (name your diety)? Just curious...and if that's not what you meant, then I apologize.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
If we humans are to advance and travel intergalactic or interstellar, we would need to submit ourselves to whatever established hierarchy already in place by other advanced races.

Once we are able to travel as we please to other planets/systems, we will need to follow the rules set forth by those that are way ahead of us and have already established themselves in space.

Think of race similar to what the United States does on earth, but a bigger/stronger/advanced version of the United States already established in space. Us humans in space we would be like a remote tribe fighting with sticks and stones against a bigger/stronger force.

We mess with someone weaker or mess up somehow, the bigger badder species will intervene and put us in our place, similar to how the U.S intervenes in just about every conflict going on.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1
Am I the only one who can't get past the contradiction of calling possible future human space explorers "advanced" while they are out conquering another sentient species.

In all reality, I can't see any technology ever being able to overcome the infinite power source required to travel at faster than light speed. It's just not possible (as I understand it anyway) for matter to travel at light speed...and if we aren't travelling faster than light, then we're taking thousands (or millions) of years just to get to some of the closer stars. Again - as far as I understand.

a lot of stuff we don't understand, we are just barely grasping the power to harness light and who knows what else will be discovered. I just hope it happens in our lifetime.

Once we get to the stage where sunlight will be powering commercial jetliners, bulldozers, heavy machinery , possibly even complete cities, things will be getting more exciting.
edit on 7/2/2013 by H34T533K3R because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join