It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for all you techies out there

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
reply to post by VoidHawk

I know, I checked all of that before asking on here for help...

You missed it, your post is TOP of the google page

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Would just like to thank all those who replied to me and gave me some good suggestions. Thanks again and will keep you posted once I get the replacements sent out to me. Thanks again

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Nice to be famous pmsl.....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I think you meant ddr3 will not fit.

No, I did not. Again, that laptop will only accept DDR3. Did you look at the links I posted? DDR3 only.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Well as I said I appreciate all the replies I got and have taken note on them all so hopefully I will get it to work once I get the replacements sent out to me....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

No, I did not. Again, that laptop will only accept DDR3. Did you look at the links I posted? DDR3 only.

I went to the Crucial website, and on there it says DDR2 only

I thought OP said he bought DDR3 but used to have DDR2? Works with DDR2 but not with 3?

Just checked. OP says he bought this

4GB DDR3-1333 SODIMM 1.35V 204 PIN

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I never said I had DDR2 at all, I said I have DDR3 that fit ok but don't work....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

This is what I saw.

Assume its the same laptop?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Alright, I'll post this one more time. Toshiba made that laptop. This is Toshiba's official website on that exact model of laptop:

www.toshiba.co.uk...

It says DDR3-1066. It doesn't get much more clearer than that. DDR2 will absolutely not fit in that laptop.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I never said I had DDR2 at all, I said I have DDR3 that fit ok but don't work....

My mistake, I thought I read somewhere that you had DDR2 but bought DDR3
Its late I should be in bed.

Ignore everything I've said

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Alright, I'll post this one more time. Toshiba made that laptop. This is Toshiba's official website on that exact model of laptop:

www.toshiba.co.uk...

It says DDR3-1066. It doesn't get much more clearer than that. DDR2 will absolutely not fit in that laptop.

I'm not saying your wrong

I thought I read somewhere that his original ram was DDR2 but he bought DDR3 so I looked on crucials webby, and as you'll see from the pic they state UPGRADE to DDR2

OP did say he fitted the sticks, something he should not be able to do though.

edit on 30-6-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Yes, you are right.

I was unable to find the details of RAM for that specific model, but the generic Satellite A500 info that I found suggested DDR2.

I was wrong! Sorry.

edit on 30/6/2013 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

The A500 laptop has been around for a while. With Toshiba you need the model number to find out the specs. Model number is on the back of the laptop. An example would be POX33U 10006H. That is the only way to find your laptop in Toshiba's data base.

Otherwise take you old ram with you when shopping. You need a small bag designed for transporting ram.

P

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

This is the full specs, ignore the hard drive as I said I have upgraded that since.

Operating System System Model
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
Installed: 08/06/2012 18:18:01 TOSHIBA Satellite A500 PSAR3E-00N005EN
System Serial Number:
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.13 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: TOSHIBA KSKAA 1.00
BIOS: TOSHIBA V1.90 05/26/2010
Drives Memory Modules c,d
499.69 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
388.69 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C [Optical drive]

FUJITSU MJA2500BH G2 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n K937T99262JR, rev 00400018, SMART Status: Healthy 4062 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'M1' has 2048 MB (serial number
Slot 'M2' has 2048 MB (serial number

edit on 30-6-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Just look up the serial numbers on your old ram to see what specs they are...

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
try here

It is 800 MHz Ram.

P

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Not sure if this will help or not, your ram may have been working but just not recognized in the bios. I had the same problem with a desktop, went from 4gig to 8gig and it would not boot, put the old ram back in and it was fine. All I had to do was go into the bios on start-up, not change anything and just save on exit. The new ram works fine.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Need more details, you say black screen, then you suddenly say BIOS. Automatically I started out to think that it was totally black, but I guess you mean that your screen is black after Power On Self Test, do you see any text at all when you try to boot your computer?

When you put back both of your Memory sticks, did your computer boot just fine? Or does it appear faulty still, if it does, then one thing to check out is if Windows is working, it seems like it can't boot Windows. Try to back up your data by plugging the harddrive into a different computer. Then reinstall windows.

If your computer doesn't respond at all, then something else must be wrong, if you could fit those new memory sticks into you motherboard, then it must be the right type, or else it wouldn't fit.

Your motherboard might be faulty if the computer does not work with the old or the new memory.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Yes it's 64 bit. I have just emailed Crucial and asked them to exchange these for the DDR2 instead of the DDR3 I have here.
When I get them, should I remove the battery first before installing the memory or does that make no difference?

Always remove the power supply before replacing parts on a computer. After installing the new RAM you did remember to reset the CMOS right?
edit on 1-7-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
mmm.. will try to found the ansawer

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Yeah you pretty much shot yourself in the foot by not unplugging the battery before installing those DIMMS man. When it comes to making pc or laptop upgrades, you should always turn off the PSU (or unplug the batt.) before even touching anything. I just hope you didn't short out the mobo in the process of taking the old RAM out with the battery still plugged in, as all it takes is one glancing touch on the wrong part and BZZT! Good luck man, but in the future, always consult a reputable website for computer repair tips first.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join