It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for all you techies out there

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Also, DDR3 DIMMs should have a different position for the key slot and should not be able to be seated correctly in a DDR2 slot.

I mentioned that up above. If he's able to insert it, I would assume it should be ok, unless he got very old slow sticks.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

I could get in touch with them and explain the problem and they should be able to exchange it for the DDR2 as you suggested.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

The memory sticks install correctly as the old ones do...

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

would it help if I removed the battery first then tried it or as a previous poster said I might have fried them by installing them with the battery in at the time?

Thats not very likely, unless you slid them about in the sockets, which is quite hard to do.

Have you tried replacing the old mem just to check your comp still works?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Tried with one stick but got same result....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Yes, I installed original memory and it works perfectly well...

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

The memory sticks install correctly as the old ones do...

Provided the mem fits the sockets then (as far as I know) it should be suitable so long as its fast enough. You can put faster mem into a slower comp, but not the other way around.

I'd try putting the old mem back in to check if I were you.

SOME older machines cant see big sticks! Is you comp 64 bit?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

People pay thousands to achieve what you just done

I typed your comp specs into google and whats at the very top of the page???

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Yes it's 64 bit. I have just emailed Crucial and asked them to exchange these for the DDR2 instead of the DDR3 I have here.
When I get them, should I remove the battery first before installing the memory or does that make no difference?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I know, I checked all of that before asking on here for help...

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Tried with one stick but got same result....

If the original RAM is not working then that is NOT a good sign.

Memory is static sensitive (as is the motherboard of your laptop).

You need to ensure there is no static charge difference between you, your RAM and the laptop and any sort of processor or memory work should be done with power connector and battery removed.

In a professional workshop, all work would be done at a static station, with wrist straps connected to a special conductive bench top. You can achieve similar anti-static results by removing any clothing likely to generate static (ie: wool jumpers and syntheticT-shirts) and resting your hand on a metallic part of the laptop shielding and leaving it in contact with it during the procedure (this provides a path to discharge any potential difference).

If your laptop or RAM have already been zapped (takes microseconds and you don't even feel it) then the damage is done, sorry to say.

edit on 30/6/2013 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Alright, everybody needs to

STOP

giving out bad information. Look at the model of laptop he has. Then look at what type of memory it will accept.

DDR2 will NOT fit into that laptop. The slots are different for DDR, DDR2, and DDR3.

That laptop will only accept DDR3. This is what type of memory needs to be in the laptop:

www.ramcity.com.au...

And it even says so right on Toshiba's website here:

www.toshiba.co.uk...

OP, I would take back the RAM you purchased and get the one I have listed above.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Yes, you are right.

I was unable to find the details of RAM for that specific model, but the generic Satellite A500 info that I found suggested DDR2.

I was wrong! Sorry.

edit on 30/6/2013 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Right, I have amended the email I sent to Crucial and asked for 2 replacements to be sent in exchange for these ones. I have a funny feeling I have done something to make them not work.
Can you explain exactly what I need to do to fit them so that I don't do the same thing again if you see what I mean as I badly want to upgrade the memory....thanks

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Alright, everybody needs to

STOP

giving out bad information. Look at the model of laptop he has. Then look at what type of memory it will accept.

DDR2 will NOT fit into that laptop. The slots are different for DDR, DDR2, and DDR3.

That laptop will only accept DDR3. This is what type of memory needs to be in the laptop:

www.ramcity.com.au...

And it even says so right on Toshiba's website here:

www.toshiba.co.uk...

OP, I would take back the RAM you purchased and get the one I have listed above.

I think you meant ddr3 will not fit.

Its odd that he could fit them to the board though?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Both of them fitted to the board no problem, think I should have removed the battery first and grounded myself before fitting them as I might have fried them....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Right, I have amended the email I sent to Crucial and asked for 2 replacements to be sent in exchange for these ones. I have a funny feeling I have done something to make them not work.
Can you explain exactly what I need to do to fit them so that I don't do the same thing again if you see what I mean as I badly want to upgrade the memory....thanks

Power off.

Unplug everything.

Remove battery.

Find an exposed bit of metallic shielding somewhere.

Touch it for a few seconds to discharge, before opening anything up.

Similarly, hold the plastic container of the RAM (the black part) for some time to allow discharge.

Your body, the RAM and the laptop should now all be at the same potential. Now you can open the cover for the RAM and install it. It would be preferred if you could keep one hand in contact with the laptop shielding to keep the charge from building up.

Don't force anything. If it doesn't fit into place take your time and see if you can find out why.

There is no penalty for taking your time and being extra careful.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Take the battery out

Place laptop on stainless steal kitchen sink.
Place all items to be used on the sink too.

Touch the sink with your hand and then go to work.

Your sink will be earthed (grounded) via the electrics of your house. By doint everything on the steel sink you and the items you touch will all be at the same potential and no harm will be done.

Having said all that most mem these days is quite resistant to static.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Thanks, will do as you say and fingers crossed I will get it right this time. Usually I can tinker about and get things working no problem but think I was in a hurry because I fitted the larger hard drive first then started on the memory next....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

That sounds like a good idea and might do that instead as it makes a lot of sense to me...

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join