It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to simply dislike homosexual behavior without being labeled a homophobe?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Is it possible to not like black people and brown people without being labeled a racist?

If these guys weren't "acting gay", I would never have noticed them. Behavior.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I'm not a homophobe. I am not scared of gay guys, I am scared that I may hit one if he tries to hustle me and grabs my butt though. I don't want to be sitting down at the police station just because some guy tried to hustle me. Straight people have rights not to be hustled by gays.

I like commenting on these troll filled threads sometimes, you get responses

Yeah? I have heard a lot of women make comments like this. Dirt bag dudes hitting on them all the time. Pushing unwanted advances away from someone you are not attracted to has nothing to do with someones sexual preference. Would you punch a very unattractive woman in the face for making a pass at you and grabbing your backside?

Hey you were right! You got a response!

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Paschar0

I don't appreciate anyone acting rude, obnoxious or overtly sexual in a public place whether they be gay, bi, straight or none of the above. Now I'm not saying it's not appropriate to display such behaviors in a club or someplace similar, as such is to be expected in such places and I can choose not to go there. It has to do with manners- not sexual orientation.

So true. Usually the people who talk about it all the time or act horny are the people not getting any.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This isn't homophobic, it's personal preference. I have the same feelings, but I still support the rights of gay people. The only gay people I've been friends or acquaintances with, did not act like the way you're describing. They in fact, also disliked this kind of behaviour. And referred to them as 'Nancy' or some other term. Actually, they were actually harder on those types you're mentioning, than most others or myself.

To them, people that embrace the feminine gayness are giving them a bad name. So they are a little sensitive about it. (Irony?)

There is nothing wrong with disliking or not having respect for people who don't earn it. Some behaviour will lead you to have these feelings.

If you feel those people should have their rights violated or completely dismissed, then you have a problem. I also don't like people who complain too much without voicing their opinions, or are dismissive, non-confrontational. Again, personal preference. It's not that I think any less of those people as human beings, they still deserve all the rights as any other person, I just don't mix with them.

So that's that.
edit on 30-6-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
That's like asking if it's okay to dislike mainstream black culture in America without being labeled a racist.

Technically it's not homophobia, the gist of why is that culture is not sexual orientation. However, the world doesn't need to know that you have a problem with flamboyant gay behavior because many people will blast you for it.

Jesus Christ, if I hear another wannabe imbecile rap about his money, his bitches, his crew, his drug habits, how he kills people, and his haters...

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

That's like asking if it's okay to dislike mainstream black culture in America without being labeled a racist.

Well, it doesn't take a black person to emulate hip/hop or rap culture, so it's not actually a racial argument. Again, this is about personality traits.

Do you like people that kiss their teeth or smack their gum in the cheek? This behaviour drives a lot of people mad. It doesn't mean they are homophobic or racist if a gay or black person does it. It simply means they don't like people that kiss their teeth and smack their gum.

Be realistic here.

Not everyone gets along or is fond of one another. You don't have to go around calling people racists and homophobes.

I know there are plenty of people that dislike my qualities. Yet, some people appreciate them. To the people that don't, I say: distance yourself from me and I'll distance myself from you.

If we are forced together in a situation, we be as civil as possible.

But don't expect me to kiss ass to people I don't like or respect.

And once again, even people I don't like at all, I would still argue that their rights are as important as my own.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

That’s why the US Military had the “don’t ask don’t tell” policy. It was an attempt to keep gays in the closet and limit the flamboyant behavior. Why? Because it pisses people off; especially heterosexual males!

Certainly not all gays are guilty of this behavior but those who are aren’t doing their cause any favors. It’s that type of overtly gay behavior that disgusts some people (myself included) and stirs the pot. Why do some feel it necessary to be so overtly gay? It really is annoying and doesn’t impress anyone at all!

To answer your question, yes, you will still be considered homophobic by some - But who cares really?? I certainly don’t.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Could you hang out or be friends with gay guys just as long they didn't act "gay"?

Odds are that you already do.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Could you hang out or be friends with gay guys just as long they didn't act "gay"?

I could and I do.

My father-in-law is gay and we get along just fine. If he pranced around like a fruit loop and acted like the group the OP described I would go out of my way to avoid him because it would annoy me.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0

It depends what is you disliking just male to male or female to female, see is a difference, beside that anybody have the right to feel and express their views of situations that you do not agree with.

And it doesn't matter on what topic either.

This might help make my point that I'm not a homophobe, but at what cost!

Two Girls kissing; mmmm
Two Guys kissing; ewww

Thanks Lucy.

Funny, I feel the same way and I'm a straight girl!

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0

So am I a homophobe?

No I do not think you are a homophobic.

There are a lot of people (no matter who they are); who are very flamboyant in life and act over the top in public situations; and yes many of them are loud and obnoxious...what their sexual preference is...to me matters not...it is their behavior (that at times) I dislike.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Yes.

Why do you need to say anything? Why can't you just let people be? If you "don't like it" you don't have some kind of obligation to make it clear.

If you think a woman is wearing too much makeup, or her top is too low cut, do you have a need to say something? If someone is a racist, do you think they should be able to just say they don't like black people while in line behind them? If you hate goths or emo's are you obliged to make that clear?

No, polite people keep their mouths shut and don't make comments that they know will cause other people harm or distress. Think what you like, but it's just plain arrogant and rude to be preaching to others about how they behave or that you don't like this or that.

Welcome to civilized society, where you have the freedom to think and say what you like within reason, but you're also expected to have some basic common decency towards others.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Incidentally, I find it quite ironic that it's usually "libertarians", and those who scream about their constitutional rights to this and that, who are the most vocal about attacking other peoples rights, lifestyles and opinions.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but I just find it extremely hypocritical that so many Americans demand their rights while choosing to attack others for their own lifestyles.

People can't have it both ways, if you want to be left alone to live your life how you please, shut up about others living their lives the way they want. If people can't do that, they're hypocrites.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KTATS

Funny, I feel the same way and I'm a straight girl!

bow chika bow wow

i must admit i also feel the same way, however it would be hypocritical for a group to say they were "born" that way, then decry another's sexual preferences as "not being tolerant".

i don't care if another guy likes shlongs, but i find guy on guy disgusting. oh yeah, and literally 1/3 of my friends are gay, 1/3 lesbian, and 1/3 straight.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Interesting, it's happened a few times after the fact and I haven't really cared much. I guess my "gaydar" isn't very good. When I'd think back on the history, I would only then recognize some fairly obvious signs that I had just ignored or didn't catch at the time for whatever reason.

I guess because I don't feel at all like a homophobe is part of the reason I'm even more annoyed at being called one. It's different in person than online, I have less and more tolerance for things at the same time.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

That’s why the US Military had the “don’t ask don’t tell” policy. It was an attempt to keep gays in the closet and limit the flamboyant behavior. Why? Because it pisses people off; especially heterosexual males!

Sorry,. but you don't know what you're talking about.

Being a gay man, I can tell you for a fact that the kind of man who would want to join the military is not the same man who would be an obvious flaming queen.

The fact that you can't see this obvious contradiction tells me that you have ulterior motives for associating the DADT policy to this debate.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Is it possible to not like black people and brown people without being labeled a racist?

This is stupid. There is a clear difference between being repulsed by homosexual behavior and hating gay people.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

Yes.

Why do you need to say anything? Why can't you just let people be? If you "don't like it" you don't have some kind of obligation to make it clear.

If you think a woman is wearing too much makeup, or her top is too low cut, do you have a need to say something? If someone is a racist, do you think they should be able to just say they don't like black people while in line behind them? If you hate goths or emo's are you obliged to make that clear?

No, polite people keep their mouths shut and don't make comments that they know will cause other people harm or distress. Think what you like, but it's just plain arrogant and rude to be preaching to others about how they behave or that you don't like this or that.

Welcome to civilized society, where you have the freedom to think and say what you like within reason, but you're also expected to have some basic common decency towards others.

Exactly! No threads here on ATS about the obnoxious teenagers at the mall with their tongues down each others throats bumming cigarettes from people while acting the complete fool. How about the dullards on a show like Jersey shore? They are not gay but good lord let me stand behind the guys the OP was in line with please as opposed to being anywhere near those complete tools. Man I have know straight guys who acted extremely feminine. None of this has to do with sexual orientation.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

When you say you are repulsed by homosexual behavior. Do you think about gay sex?

Do you sit there and think about two dudes going at it?

Haha you're a funny fella aren't ya

I said exactly what I meant, I find the behavior repulsive, not the thought of it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join