It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to simply dislike homosexual behavior without being labeled a homophobe?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+48 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Funny story, while out with friends, a group of men were on line for the theater just in front of us. Some of them were very flamboyant. What's flamboyant? Loud, sexually suggestive remarks every two seconds, feminine clothing, mannerisms (swishing in and out of line) even smells, I could go on, but there was just no mistake, they were advertising and putting on a show and being especially vocal about how if people didn't like it, they're just repressed.

I made a remark to my friends that I didn't like those kind of people. I was immediately accused of being a homophobe. This despite never having talked about the subject to them in our entire time knowing each other. The funny part was that while we were discussing it, the guys we were talking about picked up on it and confronted us, I unashamedly explained why I didn't like it, and to my surprise, one of their group said he didn't like it either and actually defended me, while others from both groups started in on the why I'm such a bad man.

By the time we were allowed in, we were all getting along and talking with each other just fine. Why? because I explained that ANY man acting that way would be annoying to me, whether they were gay or not. Same holds true for other groups, it's the BEHAVIOR most people dislike, not the person's sexual preference, race etc.

So am I a homophobe?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I thought being a homophobe just ment you were scared of homosexuals.

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
No its absolutely NOT possible.

You will be hunted down by the gay community as they try to convince you to like them OR at least understand and accept them, OR just maybe they will say how screwed up you are not liking them - they are like a raging band of mosqitoes at your BBQ.

for some odd reason its OK to be gay, but NOT OK to dislike them

I am like you also BORN to dislike gays

edit on 30-6-2013 by Minus because: i can

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

So am I a homophobe?

YES...
To the Hetrophobes and the ignorant you are a Homophobe.

+3 more 
link   
Was it that they were gay annoyed you?

Or was it that they were annoying beyond belief?

They too are coming out of repression, people have been known to act the fool when all of a sudden in life they are given freedom to be themselves: some go overboard and choose to annoy others.

Doesn't matter if they are gay or straight.

+7 more 
link   
That's not homosexuality, that's called being obnoxious. I understand very much where you're coming from. There's a difference between being racist and walking around with a sign on your chest reading, "I hate (insert racial slur here)". Likewise, there's a difference between being gay...and doing everything you can to make gay look stupid and unnecessary. If anything, they were hurting their cause by showing exactly how bad homosexuality could look, just like prostitutes can demonstrate the dark side of heterosexuality.
edit on 30-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
I thought being a homophobe just ment you were scared of homosexuals.

It does technically. It's as annoying as when people use the word xenophobe to mean dislike or hatred of aliens when it's fear of.

And to answer your thread title....on ATS? No chance. Prepare for the onslaught.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

It depends what is you disliking just male to male or female to female, see is a difference, beside that anybody have the right to feel and express their views of situations that you do not agree with.

And it doesn't matter on what topic either.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

No. I don't think there was anything wrong with what you said or how you feel. My opinion is you handled it very well by explaining why you feel the way you feel.

I don't care if someone is gay or straight but there is no need to advertise your sexual orientation. What you do in the bedroom is your business and the business of who you're doing it to, just keep it in the bedroom.

Good 4 you.

edit on 30-6-2013 by ifeelsohigh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ifeelsohigh

Exactly. The moment you make it public, expect a public reaction.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0
Funny story, while out with friends, a group of men were on line for the theater just in front of us. Some of them were very flamboyant. What's flamboyant? Loud, sexually suggestive remarks every two seconds, feminine clothing, mannerisms (swishing in and out of line) even smells, I could go on, but there was just no mistake, they were advertising and putting on a show and being especially vocal about how if people didn't like it, they're just repressed.

I made a remark to my friends that I didn't like those kind of people. I was immediately accused of being a homophobe. This despite never having talked about the subject to them in our entire time knowing each other. The funny part was that while we were discussing it, the guys we were talking about picked up on it and confronted us, I unashamedly explained why I didn't like it, and to my surprise, one of their group said he didn't like it either and actually defended me, while others from both groups started in on the why I'm such a bad man.

By the time we were allowed in, we were all getting along and talking with each other just fine. Why? because I explained that ANY man acting that way would be annoying to me, whether they were gay or not. Same holds true for other groups, it's the BEHAVIOR most people dislike, not the person's sexual preference, race etc.

So am I a homophobe?

Sooooo once you talked to them and got to know them as individuals and not one of those kind of people you were cool with em all. Go figure huh?

Stereo-typing and lumping people into groups is whats wrong with the world today. Your no homophob your just closed minded. Hopefully your experience with these men will help open your mind a bit.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I believe it is possible.

Not liking a certain segment of the gay community because of their actions is not the same as not liking the entire gay community.

If it's only the actions of a few that you don't agree with but are ok with homosexuality in general, how is that homophobic?

It's not.

Peace

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minus

I'm with you on that one. I don't CHOOSE to be repulsed by homosexual behavior, it comes naturally.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm not a homophobe. I am not scared of gay guys, I am scared that I may hit one if he tries to hustle me and grabs my butt though. I don't want to be sitting down at the police station just because some guy tried to hustle me. Straight people have rights not to be hustled by gays.

I like commenting on these troll filled threads sometimes, you get responses

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75

Originally posted by Minus

I'm with you on that one. I don't CHOOSE to be repulsed by homosexual behavior, it comes naturally.

When you say you are repulsed by homosexual behavior. Do you think about gay sex?

Do you sit there and think about two dudes going at it?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The real trick is to say that they're regressed heterosexuals who are scared to come out and then when they splutter etc you can call then heterophobes and demand that they respect your heterosexuality

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Is it possible to not like black people and brown people without being labeled a racist?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I don't appreciate anyone acting rude, obnoxious or overtly sexual in a public place whether they be gay, bi, straight or none of the above. Now I'm not saying it's not appropriate to display such behaviors in a club or someplace similar, as such is to be expected in such places and I can choose not to go there. It has to do with manners- not sexual orientation.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

It depends what is you disliking just male to male or female to female, see is a difference, beside that anybody have the right to feel and express their views of situations that you do not agree with.

And it doesn't matter on what topic either.

This might help make my point that I'm not a homophobe, but at what cost!

Two Girls kissing; mmmm
Two Guys kissing; ewww

Thanks Lucy.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Is it possible to enjoy pain without being labeled a sadist or a masochist? These are labels intended to describe a certain presence of trait. They are intended to say, "Hey, this person feels this way about this general condition or state of being." All in one word. It establishes differences and similarities, instant common ground or instant potential conflict. It's called communication. Diagnose and handle accordingly.
edit on 30-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join