It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horse Slaughterhouse Approved by USDA to Produce Meat for Human Consumption

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Char-Lee

You are definitely not weird or stupid, you just have different thoughts and feelings which is perfectly fine. I have different thoughts and feelings about animals because I grew up raising them for food and hunting others for food so I don't view them in the same light as you. There is nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion, and one can't control equating things from one's own perspective. Different strokes for different folks!

That is very true. To me we are all what WE call people. We all want to be loved, we all want to mate and feel free. we all want to avoid pain and abuse. we all have the same needs and desire to raise a family in safety and be comfortable and enjoy the life we have. The animals all give their loyalty to those who treat them well or even if they are cruelly cages and wings cut to never use them, they still give loyalty and affection to the human who decides their fate.

We would never allow the torture that is caused in the "processing" of non human animals to happen to human animals. Why? intelligence? No our deformed, retarded or severely damaged humans are cared for lovingly. people even through a fit over removing breathing and feeding tubes to a brain dead human.

Many people only eat meat because it is easier not to try and make changes in life, they feel it would be socially hard also as many will treat you like you are weird and no longer wish to associate...you are no fun, why ask you to the BBQ it will make some feel guilt that you eat the corn and a salad and veggie burger.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

eating meat, or animal products, is not something that one can claim moral relativism on.

creatures are made to suffer and die terrible deaths (pigs for instance are shocked, throats are slit, then they're immediately dropped into a vat of boiling water while still alive) for flavor ONLY.

in essence, you are claiming that the suffering of other creatures is justified if it increases your pleasure. (though to suggest a plant-based diet isn't delicious would be scandalous)

as i've outlined above, eating animals is very unhealthy, however i could overlook that as a decision one is free to make (though healthcare wouldn't be much of an issue on a plant based diet) if it weren't for the suffering caused.

even animals that aren't outright killed for their meat (like hens making eggs) are kept locked in a cage their whole lives. their beaks are amputated with a hot knife, feathers plucked, and many die from ovarian cancer. their bodies are then cleaned up and sold as meat.

milk cows suffer a similar fate.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It's "disgusting" is just an opinion. If we banned things because "it's disgusting" almost anything would be able to be banned. People like different things. Horse meat is not hurting our species at all. The French were eating it for a long time.

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by DYepes

You are an animal...you know this right?

He said animals are here to get eaten. Even humans get eaten. It happens less since we live in cities but it can be bears, sharks, etc.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

After reading the pdf link you provided I have come to the conclusion that the author is attempting to play on the readers emotional response. Trying to prompt the reader with equating the consumption of animals with rape or burning cats alive and inferring that one is not "morally good" or "minimally decent" if one doesn't consider such comparisons immorally equal isn't the least bit persuasive to me personally.

While I do know of some of the procedures practiced on "farms" It does not guilt me into feeling immoral if I eat the product of one. If doing such makes the author feel immoral or if he feels others are immoral for doing so that is his right to feel that way and express it. I also reserve the right to feel no guilt in eating what I like as long as it falls into the category of being legal to do so.

I do agree with the human health issues that were raised as one of my great-grandmothers was vegan and was never sick a day in her life and died of old age at past 100 years old, but as that is the way she was raised she did not miss what she never had. She also never ate anything she did not grow herself.

If your feelings fall along the same lines as the author that is fine, you are entitled to gauge what you feel is acceptable by your own standards, as I shall continue on with what standards are acceptable to me.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

You are entitled to your opinion. Eat what you like, don't eat what you don't like. It makes no difference to me. Your opinion isn't going to keep me from eating what I choose.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
It's "disgusting" is just an opinion. If we banned things because "it's disgusting" almost anything would be able to be banned. People like different things. Horse meat is not hurting our species at all. The French were eating it for a long time.

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by DYepes

You are an animal...you know this right?

He said animals are here to get eaten. Even humans get eaten. It happens less since we live in cities but it can be bears, sharks, etc.

I am sorry I don't think you are responding to the correct person? where did I say "it's disgusting"?

Very Very few humans are eaten by animals most spit them out after a taste and none are held in a tortuous situation waiting to be eaten except on Sci-fi when the aliens do it to humans.Over 25 million animals a day are killed in pain and misery as they lived for human food because it tastes good not because we need it.

www.morehouse.edu...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Best friends? But if they were humans would you even think of eating them as a last resort? Would they eat you as a last resort? Such times when humans were lost and hungry...not starving as they thought...and ate their best friend dog whom they raised from puppyhood, the dog never once tried to eat them even they they were hungry also.

Yes. They are my best friends. I raised my dog Blake since he was 8 weeks old. He always has food. I share food with him too. And in a survival situation I would feed him and care for him as much as I could. Depending where I was and what was readily available in the surroundings... It would have to be a seriously bad situation for me to do that. And even then I have no idea whether I could do it or not. Many peeps say they would not do something. Then they find themselves in a survival situation and have had to do the something they said they would never do.
You must know about poor folks who have found themselves in a dire situation and had to eat their human friends to survive....

A group that included members of the Uruguayan rugby team crashed their plane in the Andes Mountains in 1972. Surviving members ate the flesh of people who died in the crash over the 70 days they were stranded. "Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors," was a best-selling non-fiction book published in 1974 by Piers Paul Read; in 2006, survivor Nando Parrado published his own account, "Miracle in the Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek Home "

In 1850, four men sailing to Australia from England were stranded adrift in a lifeboat after their yacht sank. When one man became seriously ill, the other three killed and ate him after their supplies ran out.

curiosity.discovery.com...

There are only 2 examples. There are more. Do you think the rugby players sailors or travellers wanted to eat their friends.....? No of course not. But in a survival situation you would be incredibly surprised at things you will do to survive...

When in a survival situation. Sadly one has to make very difficult decisions.....

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Thank you for reading it. Like a woman once told me, she was vegan and I was a meat eater, I agreed with the fact that the pain and horror of what is done to other creatures by humans is beyond thinking about as proved by the fact not many will even watch a video of it, which I forced myself to do...anyway she said nothing negative to me simply .."when you are ready".

I now feel I understand what she was saying, I was ready to open my eyes and to make a change when I was ready to see and open my heart and feel. I was scared of the change, the hardship it would be. Happily it turned out to be a really fun time for us, relearning something like food. My husband is a cook, it is what he does for a living. We have had a fun adventure in recipes and finding new yummy healthy things to eat.

But for me the biggest thing besides not having to cause pain and suffering is feeding ourselves for our bodies sake and not living by our taste buds,. It seems to me a form of greediness not caring what we put in us from where it came, because "it tastes good".

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Those human friends were dead already thus just meat. I am one of the few people I know who feel they did nothing wrong in eating a dead empty corpse as we are nothing when we are dead except flesh. Would anyone accept it if they killed their friends for food? I thought this is what you meant about eating your "friends"?

I have literally staved, I have been without food for many weeks, as in zero food (it does not kill you to go long periods with no food it simply feels bad) . I know my beloved friend Kitty who lived with me before she died I would die alongside her I would never even consider her as food anymore then my children would be considered for food if she were alive.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Here they go again.. All the wingnuts blaming O for this. Lets place the blame where it belongs..... on the repugnant congress.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

.People who think like you are sick

Thanks for that, kind and thoughtful of you.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

As an American I cannot think of one time I have been anywhere with horse on the menu. It is completely ridiculous. I pride on the fact that Americans usually stick to cow, chicken, and pic, not the variety of animals other countries love to eat. Horses are known to be smart animals. I am an animal lover, I am not a vegetarian but I would like the world to come up with vegetarian ways to make synthetic meat, in 2013 I'm sure we have the technology to do that. One pathetic thing that deserves to be a rant thread or something is that America creates drive thrus for all the bad food but you will not see one deli or healthy food place with a drive thru. That right there says the corporate owners of America are stupid people who have little care for the world. So yes they don't care for animals, but they don't even care about us. I'm sure not all the states will eat horses, just the stupid country redneck people.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I could not kill my dog. If he had died already and I was starving in a cold remote place. Then yes I probably would eat him. Dogs are also a good creature to have in a survival instance. They can catch rabbits and pheasants etc. He would be a good help...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Disgusting?

Wanna know how long man has been eating horses?

Pretty much before he ever decided to ride em.

However i do prefer beef.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Thanks for clarifying that I had misunderstood!

i watched a documentary about a guy who went looking for the lost city of gold, he took his dog Peanut a cute little small spotted dog he raised from a puppy. His boat overturned and he was swept away, all food lost and Peanut was lost.
He started making his way through the jungle lost and he knew nothing about survival, he was totally unprepared to be out there. he had to hack his way through and after a couple days he was feeling he was dying from lack of water. His feet were hurting he started getting infected bites and on the third day he was praying and little peanut miraculously showed up! He wasn't alone anymore he said, his friend was back with him having found him in miles of jungle somehow even though he had been taken by the river a long way.

About a week out he felt he was going to starve, he had used plant water but he didn't know what he could eat. He strangled little Peanut and ate parts of him raw, he then vomited him up because it was so disgusting thus it served him not at all.

Turns out there was a village about a 100 yards ahead, he nearly missed it but heard a sound, if Peanut had been there he would have found it a day sooner.

The guy was literally bragging about how, to survive he found he could do anything infact had killed his "best friend" who trusted him I may add. Who was suffering gladly by his side. Humans can go a month to more without food but he lasted a week!

Guess I was thinking of this sad excuse of a friend.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by greyer

As an American I cannot think of one time I have been anywhere with horse on the menu. It is completely ridiculous. I pride on the fact that Americans usually stick to cow, chicken, and pic, not the variety of animals other countries love to eat. Horses are known to be smart animals. I am an animal lover, I am not a vegetarian but I would like the world to come up with vegetarian ways to make synthetic meat, in 2013 I'm sure we have the technology to do that. One pathetic thing that deserves to be a rant thread or something is that America creates drive thrus for all the bad food but you will not see one deli or healthy food place with a drive thru. That right there says the corporate owners of America are stupid people who have little care for the world. So yes they don't care for animals, but they don't even care about us. I'm sure not all the states will eat horses, just the stupid country redneck people.

Two things for you to consider:

1. fast food has drive thrus because they can produce the "food" fast enough to warrant it. Most other establishments wouldn't have a chance. How would you pay the bills when you processed 1 order at a time every 20 minutes? It just ain't feasible.

2. American's don't eat horse because horse was too valuable in our very expansive country. You can blame Manifest Destiny for not eating horses in the US.

If you take pride in such trivial, silly things, you really should evaluate your ego.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
A horse is nothing more than a faster, prettier cow.

Its actually more healthy too.

Id eat a horse.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

You are entitled to your opinion. Eat what you like, don't eat what you don't like. It makes no difference to me. Your opinion isn't going to keep me from eating what I choose.

"you are entitled to your opinion. murder who you like, or don't murder at all. it makes no difference to me. your opinion isn't going to keep me from murdering whom i choose."

do you see the problem with moral relativism? furthermore, i am not stating mere opinions, but definite facts. to consume animal products is to starve humans to death. it is to torture animals for your enjoyment. these things are not opinions, they are a definite, quantifiable reality.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I won't eat what I consider pets or things that have of equal intelligence/self awareness (such as dolphins, Whales, Elephants and Apes) on principle...however, put starvation into the equasion and I will eat what I must.

Horses fall in both the pets and self awareness category.

Everything else is fair game.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

well, i don't have time to discuss your facts. I will state that my doctor, as well as a few dozen other doctors who were in my business recently, now prescribe a low carb, "Atkins" style diet to combat high cholesterol and thyroid issues, not to mention diabetes.

LAter I will dig up some stuff for you. In the meantime, I would be interested in how things like food can be a moral issue. Morality tends to be towards the top of Mazlow's pyramid, while food tends to be towards the bottom.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join