It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horse Slaughterhouse Approved by USDA to Produce Meat for Human Consumption

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I can't wait to see what tasty ideas McDonald's will come up with. Imagine if you will, horse-flesh fillet shaped meat on Sourdough, with GMO lettuce, tomatoes and MSG dressing all for $1.99 Yummy!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Once again there is reason number 'never seems to end' why this world is a constant reminder of a bankrupt humanity barely holding on to anything true, pure and good.

This is a terrible tragedy reflective of a bankrupt government whose God an empty abyss where no light shines.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Sure we all have feelings toward things. The problem is when we let our emotions take over and guide our actions. This is the problem with politicians and gun control and many other topics. If we constantly let our emotions run things and not try to work through them logically we are all going to be naked in padded rooms so that we do not hurt one another or ourselves.

The other arguments about cannibalism, abusing people, and killing sick children has absolutely nothing to do with eating horse meat. Anyone who claims they are is letting their emotions cloud their judgment and letting it run their imagination which puts us back to banning everything because of some out of touch "what ifs".

Horses are farm animals sure you might have some jerkoff who abuses their animals, they will also likely abuse any other human they come in contact with. That is on an individual basis. The majority of work animals are not abused though because the person needs them in good health in order to get the work done. People can claim the natives abused their animals all they wish but that does not make it true. Again that would be on the individual and many of the tribes looked down on those who acted in such a manner. Hunting techniques might have included running several buffalo off a cliff as well. But not full herds only a part of a herd. Those that were killed were done away with quickly and all of their parts used.

However, none of that has anything to do with the eating of farm raised horses for food. Neither does the number of wild horses in the U.S. Lets be honest about it and stick to the topic and not allow people to direct it into some emotion crazed idea of cannibalism since this is about eating horse meat and has nothing to do with eating human flesh. No one has even expressed a desire to do so in this thread.

Raist

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

What you say though is no different from any animal. Look at what cattle have done for humans throughout history. They even have best friends. Do you eat any meats? If so do you feel different about eating cattle now? I have provided the link numerous times showing that cattle have best friends.

Again as for human consumption that has nothing to do with this topic. However since you asked in a different manner I suppose I will give you an answer. If an advanced race decided we should be food I doubt we would have little choice in the matter. After all they would have the technology to make it here meaning they are far more advanced than we are. I would not be happy about being food, but in the same light does any living thing want to be food?

Plants offer a huge array of ways to protect themselves as do many animals. Yet we as a race are smart enough to find ways around these protections that many other species do not. That is why we eat other animals. Because we evolved in such a manner that we are intelligent enough to know how to kill them and eat them, this goes for both plant and animal.

The arguments being used equate horses to humans and that is just not so. They are live stock. Their value is not above humans at all which is what many are trying to say. I am not saying they should be abused or treated in a bad manner. Every living thing deserves respect and to be treated kindly and killed quickly with as little pain as possible when that time comes. You can respect living things and still eat them. Understanding that their death extends your life is part of that. You pay your respects for the animals and plants that died to feed you. Their energy gives you energy. In a sense you take a part of each living thing into you.

Raist

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012
I can't wait to see what tasty ideas McDonald's will come up with. Imagine if you will, horse-flesh fillet shaped meat on Sourdough, with GMO lettuce, tomatoes and MSG dressing all for $1.99 Yummy!

They will continue to feed it to you in the forms they probably already do and will call it burgar and other common names.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

McDonalds or any fast food for that matter is pretty disgusting. You would be much better off buying the slab of meat yourself and cooking it up.

I would suggest adding a bit of sage and maybe a bit of lemon, while cooking it over a mesquite and hickory blend. Finish it off with a light honey glaze.

On the side you have a nice baked potato and some salad.

Raist

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Those are not burgers. They are a nasty clump of grease with some crap put on it to make it almost edible. The real tragedy here is that people can stomach the food served in the fast food chains.

Raist

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
You may need to re-read my post.

Since you are asking me for MY opinion. I feel that it is immoral FOR ME to eat any living feeling animal all of who show us great affection and even love and loyalty.
reply to post by Raist

What you say though is no different from any animal. Look at what cattle have done for humans throughout history. They even have best friends. Do you eat any meats?

True and no I don't, we are very healthy and happy without eating animals and we learned this we feel it is an improvement in us and we are much happier for it.

Because we evolved in such a manner that we are intelligent enough to know how to kill them and eat them, this goes for both plant and animal.

We are now evolving more and eventually no one will torture and eat non-human animals.

They are live stock.

Anyone Animal including us can be thought of as livestock if it is made so just as slavery did.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Okay now this is better. While I might not agree with your argument I do understand it now. Yours is one of a person who does not eat meat or feel a need to. The other posters arguments were not that way. They are a meat eater that just changed topics.

If not for meat humans would never have evolved the brain size we have now and nothing would have been as we see it today. We would most likely still be sitting in trees picking fleas and ticks off of one another. The protein in meat is what helped us evolve.

Again your argument makes sense. Not saying I agree with it but it makes sense. I am one who eats meat. I respect every living thing be it plant or animal. I love to spend time in nature and see all of the beautiful creatures that make up our ecosystem. I was raised in the country, I learned to eat what ever meat was put in front of me (aside from mountain oysters sorry I am not eating testicles, just cannot bring myself to do it or really any organs for that matter). At the same time I also understand that each living thing deserves to be treated well.

For instance I recall one cow we had, Sambo was it's name. Sambo was really nice, loved to be scratched behind the ears. Sambo though was also being raised for food. While Sambo was cool and nice and all Sambo also tasted really good. I believe it was the love that was shared that made Sambo taste that good. I respected the cow for the life it had and the life it shared with me and my family. I also respected the fact that Sambos death meant that I would have food in my stomach and that I could live. I was taught to always give a quick death to anything I killed, and never to abuse them.

For me horses will always be live stock. While I have not ate horse I certainly would not turn down the opportunity to do so.

Sure I suppose you could say people could be sold as live stock that has happened through history as well. Humans have used slave labor throughout time. Not all slave owners treated their slaves badly though and certainly I cannot find an account of one eating them (though I suppose anything is possible). There is a difference though. Those slaves are human. While humans are also mammals making them animals there is a difference. Evolution made the difference. That is why we are able to figure out how to eat other living things that have forms of protection. That is how we created tools to aid us in hunting, raising plants, and cooking. Sure we might be part of the animal kingdom but we are also the top of the animal kingdom. That in and of itself though does not give us the right to mistreat other living things. It is though why we are able to eat other living things.

Raist

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

If not for meat humans would never have evolved the brain size we have now

I know you are aware how debatable this is.

I was raised in the country, I learned to eat what ever meat was put in front of me

When we grow we change. You may yet change I was not expecting to a vegetarian but now my whole family is not just me and my husband but my many sisters all on their own all of us separate without even talking about it to each other. we all met people at the right time who were instruments of that change at the time that was right foe us.

I believe it was the love that was shared that made Sambo taste that good.

Wish I could get Sambo's opinion on that love "shared".

we are also the top of the animal kingdom

Those on the top have a higher obligation. we know now that we no longer need to kill and destroy to eat and our brains will be just fine. it is time for a better world where we can all live without purposeful cruel ways. we can make that happen we just have to choose.

Honestly I am cooking a stew from things I have grown and wild plants (wild garlic) that are here atm...it is strange and wonderful how fast we change our tastes and desires when we make a move to do so, my favorite food was once steak.

I have enjoyed this more civil discussion with you. You are the majority, most feel as you do or somewhere along the lines of, we are human, we are above we control and enslave our food creatures and we have that right and it should be so. I believe it will not always be so and I believe that were not made to be this way.

edit on 3-7-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

If we really wanted to get down to it we could ask how animals feel about being kept in doors or chained up as pet. We could also go and ask how endangered species feel about being locked up in a zoo. Sure they are safer there but are they happy and free?

Back to the pets though. Could they be happier out in the wild doing their thing that their nature drives them to do?

As for being supirior. It is not that I respect all life. As with other creatures in nature we all have our place. We are on top, if we were not eatin animals other animals would. Only other animals do not worry as much about a quick kill. Many will start eating their prey whe it dies.

Raist

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

I have said all along that abuse is wrong. Prove that all work animals are/were abused since you made the claim.

Wow, so you don't even know this yet want to imply it didn't happen? As I wrote before, you CAN'T re-write history when you see it fit to back your arguments...

Below is an example of the abuse endured by horses in history.

HORSES IN FILM
Abused for Entertainment?

ANIMALS have been used in film since moving pictures were first introduced. They offer entertainment to humans on many levels. "Animals actors don’t have to talk to make you laugh or to steal your heart. They can be strong and fierce or cute and cuddly."

Animals play a wide variety of roles in the movies, and never cease to amaze their audiences with what they are capable of achieving. As Warren Epstein reported in the July 12 edition of The Gazette, "Animals in films were our rescuers, our attackers, our best friends." Unfortunately the treatment of these beloved creatures has not always been humane. Animal Rights have not always been in existence; therefore, many animals have been abused, injured, and killed during the making of movies. Some of the most heinous cases of animal abuse and neglect noted in film making involve horses.

www.horsefund.org...

I have no problem with horses being used as a food source as long as they are not abused. Go back and check my first posts on this thread. Not once have I said abuse was right. Prove that I said such. Stop saying I am posting things I am not.

And again, your argument seems to be that what YOU, and others like you, see as abuse to horses is immoral, meanwhile what people like me think is not... This is another example on how your are trying to disguise your OPINION as fact...

Why can you not answer my questions? Why is eating horse immoral? What about eating cows, they have best friends and are stressed when they are not around them. Why is eating cows moral when eating horse is not? Are there other animals that are immoral to eat? Are there any animals that are more immoral to eat than others?

I already did...at least twice, you are just too da#m hard-headed to acknowledge it, or you become blind to what people have to say/write just like you become blind to the fact that "animal rights" were not in existence during the old west and that there was a lot of abuse during the long history of human interaction with animals, including horses...

For crying out loud even certain humans were abused... (No, I am not saying horses are or were like native Americans or like black slaves that were abused, I am just giving ANOTHER EXAMPLE of the sort of abuses that have occurred before most people realized that we are all human no matter the race, gender, or difference in opinion and cultures)

With time people became more and more sympathetic to animals, and other humans/people. (yes I am aware that there are still people who are not sympathetic to others or animals)

BTW, where the hell did I claim that you wrote it is ok to abuse horses?... My argument is that you CAN'T re-write history and take out the abuse done to horses in history during a time when horses were seen as "just a work animal"...

You just like to re-write history, and what people state when it doesn't agree with your argument, and you are the one posting things people did not write...

edit on 3-7-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: add comments.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I agree it is pointless to try and discuss something with an emotional wreck. I gave it a go and realize that no matter what proof I bring to the table the other will only cast it aside with falsehoods and subject change. Not one moment will be put into trying to hold a ration al discussion.

First, go ahead and keep throwing ad-hominem attacks at me and claim I am the one using emotion in this thread...

Second, you didn't bring one iota of proof to this thread, you just gave your OPINION and you are trying to disguise it as fact...

BTW, AGAIN, I mentioned domesticated cats as an EXAMPLE of what would happen if we are left with only domesticated horses...

It is called "an analogy" and they are often used when the person you are having a conversation with doesn't understand your argument...

NEVER did I write cats are like horses, or that horses are human...

edit on 3-7-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

I was not attacking you I was pointing out observation in a discussion with another poster. It was not about you at all. I am not sure why you think it was about you. You might want to read the last few pages.

Sorry for any confusion, I was a bit confused myself when you replied to me.

Raist
edit on 7/3/13 by Raist because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/3/13 by Raist because: (no reason given)

I was not confused I know you were not referring to my posts although it is the same as I agree with the other poster on their posts that have read, and all that is relevant, personal remarks are unnecessary as to anyones state of mind and as I said, who in the whole of the world as a human being does not have constant "feelings" about any subject they discuss?
Falling into or being led into that kind of statements is just plain and simply wrong. If you can't deal with the arguments at hand without that just ignore the arguments. That is the correct thing to do, I am sure you will agree.

You've also followed the discussion, and decide to call Raist's comments 'weak', completely overlooking the personal attacks made by the poster that you're backing up. Says a lot.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
BTW, another fact to those that don't know and have never been around live horses but want to claim "it is ok to use horses as meat as long as they are not abused", horses are naturally very skittish, more than many other animals such as cows, or even pigs.

When horses are corralled in large numbers, or small numbers and are herded into slaughterhouses they become very nervous, more so as they smell the blood of other dead horses. When horses become so nervous they bob their heads up and down and sideways very fast hence most often they cannot be killed outright as fast as other animals are killed and often go through a lot of abuse.

Also, in case those of you who do not know, the majority of horses that are used in countries like Japan, Germany, Italy, and other countries are domesticated horses, including race horses all which have been given many drugs throughout their lives which are highly toxic to humans.

One of those toxic drugs used in domesticated horses and more so race horses is Phenylbutazone (horse aspirin).

Animal & Veterinary

CVM Update Archives - FDA Order Prohibits Extralabel Use of Phenylbutazone in Certain Dairy Cattle
February 28, 2003

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is issuing an order prohibiting the extralabel use of phenylbutazone animal and human drugs in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older. FDA is issuing this order based on evidence that extralabel use of phenylbutazone in these dairy cattle will likely cause an adverse event in humans. The Agency finds that such extralabel use presents a risk to the public health for the purposes of the Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act of 1994 (AMDUCA).
Phenylbutazone became available for use in humans for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and gout in 1949. However, it is no longer approved, and thus not marketed, for any human use in the United States. This is because some patients treated with phenylbutazone have experienced severe toxic reactions, and other effective, less toxic drugs are available to treat the same conditions

Phenylbutazone is known to induce blood dyscrasias, including aplastic anemia, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia and deaths. Hypersensitivity reactions of the serum-sickness type have also been reported. In addition, phenylbutazone is a carcinogen, as determined by the National Toxicology Program.

For animals, phenylbutazone is currently approved only for oral and injectable use in dogs and horses. Use in horses is limited to use in horses not intended for food. There are currently no approved uses of phenylbutazone in food-producing animals.

Investigation by FDA and State regulatory counterparts has found phenylbutazone on farms and identified tissue residues in culled dairy cattle. In addition, USDA's Food Safety Inspection Service has reported phenylbutazone residues in culled dairy cattle presented for slaughter for human food throughout the U.S. in the past two calendar years. This evidence indicates that the extralabel use of phenylbutazone in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older will likely result in the presence, at slaughter, of residues that are toxic to humans, including being carcinogenic, at levels that have not been shown to be safe.

www.fda.gov...

As I mentioned the horses that are often used in slaughterhouses in countries like Japan, European countries, and other countries were domesticated and many were even race horses which throughout their lives have been given many drugs that are very toxic to humans.

March 18, 2013

Stop Horse Slaughter: Our Country's Dark Secret

Pets, show ponies, racehorses, draft horses—they're all ending up at the slaughter house

By Julie Hauserman

When Jo Deibel adopted her horse Mattie in 2003, the folks at the rescue organization made a remark that struck Deibel as odd: “They said, ‘we’re so glad you’re saving her.’ And I said, ‘Save her from what?’”

Slaughter, apparently.

More than 100,000 horses—pets, show and race horses, carriage horses, and wild horses—end up in slaughterhouses every year. Mattie could’ve been one of them.

Most owners have no idea that the gentle mare they sell because their child has outgrown her or the show horse they trade in for a horse who can jump may end up at a slaughterhouse. They imagine their horse will go to another rider or family, but not to an auction, and certainly not to slaughter. But people who work in horse rescue know better.

Kind owner or kill buyer?

Horse rescue groups go to auctions literally to bid for the life of horses against “kill buyers.” Kill buyers look at horses, some with manes still carefully braided by their last owners, and they don’t see pets or individuals; they see meat. Though reports show horse meat can be dangerous for human consumption because of the drugs horses are given over the course of their lifetimes, the meat is sold in countries like France, Italy, Belgium, and Japan. Horses are not raised as food animals but are raised as companions who are taught to trust humans.

www.humanesociety.org...

edit on 3-7-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: errors.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
(continued)

An HSUS Report: Food Safety Risks Associated With
U.S. Horse Slaughter
April 2012

Abstract

Meat originating from U.S. horses may contain residues from substances banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the European Union for use in animals intended for consumption.
Phenylbutazone, for example, is commonly administered to U.S. horses and has been associated with lifethreatening reactions in humans.
Requiring a thorough drug history for each U.S. horse intended for
human consumption may help circumvent human health risks.

www.humanesociety.org...

You want to eat horse go ahead, after all we are still living in a "somewhat free" prison, I mean country, but know that the horse meat you are eating came most probably from domesticated horses which throughout their lives were given drugs that are highly toxic to humans.

IMO, apart from the fact that horses that end up in slaughterhouses were not intended to end there and are full of drugs that are toxic to humans, horses are not meant to be used for food unless there is nothing else available and you or your children are starving.

But it is also a matter of personal choice, I look at a horse and don't think "meat", I see a marvelous creature that can be a companion for 25-30+ years depending on it's health and how well it was taken care of. You can choose to see them as "meat" and even "just a dumb animal' if you want.

edit on 3-7-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

If your living in the USofA you had better get your heirloom seeds now, they are starting to get scarce and if things continue the way they are going I bet ya wont be able to buy them(legally)sometime in the near future...

....I am so mad I have had to give up eating take out pizza because it cramps the bejeesus outta my tummy (I think its from the GMO tomatoes the bigger corps are using to make the tomato paste and sauce).

As for the horse meat (shivers)...We don't eat our motor cycles we ride on so why would anyone wanna eat a horse we ride on???

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

As for being supirior. It is not that I respect all life. As with other creatures in nature we all have our place. We are on top, if we were not eatin animals other animals would. Only other animals do not worry as much about a quick kill. Many will start eating their prey whe it dies.

Raist

Wrong, even many animals who by nature can even be enemies, predator and prey, can form a natural bond and even predators have been known to take care of what should be their prey.

natgeotv.com...

mousebreath.com...

Is it rare for it to happen? sure, but it happens. Animals can be as cruel as the cruelest human or can be as gentle as the gentlest person on Earth. (and again I am not saying animals are human, but humans are animals too no?)

But again it is a matter of choice. Even though I do eat some meats, there are animals that I would not consider as food, and horses are one of those species.

edit on 3-7-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: add comments.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I make my observation due to the fact that you cannot answer questions that I have been asking for over two pages. You flat out ignore questions that are on topic and change the topic to cannibalism, abuse of humans and parents killing kids. It shows your inability to differentiate horses and humans. You cannot follow the topic due to your over emotions being to high.

I don't care what you said about cats. That was not in our discussion that was another poster you were arguing about cats with. If you did happen to post anything about cats to me it might have been one post and no more than a sentence.

As for getting rid of wild horses, how many times do I need to say this is about farm raised horses? They are not going to coral wild horses. Though you might want to talk to the other poster whose father used to round them up. Tell her how they should leave wild horses alone. Though a wild horse is no different from the one on the farm except that they are not used to human interaction. They are just like feral cats in that sense. They are not even as evolved to the wild as the wild boars are.

I am not going to bother asking you to answer the handful of questions again. There is no sense in continuing any discussion with you because you just want to deflect in other directions.

What ever I am done with you. You call for not allowing the use of horse meat for food is no different from the anti-gun people. Just because you disagree you think it should be banned. We need more people that want to make choices for others. Keep up the good fight.

Raist
edit on 7/4/13 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

If we really wanted to get down to it we could ask how animals feel about being kept in doors or chained up as pet. We could also go and ask how endangered species feel about being locked up in a zoo. Sure they are safer there but are they happy and free?

Agreed that is why I would not keep nor call any creature the derogatory term "my pet".

A Kitty friend lived with me year 20 years, she came to me and moved in on her own, she could have left any time she please she was never confined except when she asked to be inside with me.

I don't believe zoos are right and would not go to one it is a prison simple and clear full of misery, that is why som many animals cannot reproduce in them.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join