It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthropologist explains why polygamy is the next marriage rights frontier.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Here an anthropologist who has done extensive field-research on modern polygamists explains why polygamy can actually empower women:

www.youtube.com...

So what if a man wants two wives and the two wives want the man? Why must they be limited? Laws today will have to be re-written due to new reproductive techniques heading our way so I am sure any issues relating to family law and immigration could easily be resolved as well.

So saying two men or two women can marry and not two women and one man? How can we justify that?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by edward777

I don't see a problem with polygamy. As long as all of the adults are consenting it should be legal.

However, if a woman has two husbands and they are out if the loop it should still be illegal.

The key is consenting adults. You can't consent if you don't know.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It wouldn't surprise me at all if polygamy were legalized in the future.

Hollywood has already begun the furtive steps of preparing the public for it with the show 'Big Love', and Mormonism was front and center during the last Presidential election.

It's just a matter of time before polygamists begin demanding the same recognition that homosexuals have been up in arms about.

Following that basic logic, practitioners of bestiality and groups like NAMBLA will be a lot more vocal as well.
edit on 6/30/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's only illegal now due to religious people in power dictating their 'morals' to others.

Bring it on! Like the person above said- as long as it's consensual between all parties.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Sure, why not? Why not just start marrying off your children to the highest bidder as well. I would love to have 25 wives. Sounds like hog heaven to me.

I don't think communities tend to do well for any length of time when anything goes pertaining to the family circle. There are laws of nature that come in to play here that would quickly dissolve the natural order of things if this were to be the case. The next logical step in this idea would be to start owning women, or men, and dictating who they were able to breed with, add in a little genetic modification and well, who knows where it could go from there.

I guess maybe there is no place for law when it comes to who a man or woman wants to spend their life with, but it seems like a slippery slope when you imagine how bad it could get, or how far the family circle could eventually deteriorate.
edit on 30-6-2013 by Quauhtli because: ...

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I don't know of any good reason polygamy should remain outlawed and would support ballot initiatives in support of it.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have no problem with polygamists. I just can't see putting myself through that. Cripes, one at a time is pain enough.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Polygamy was only valuable to the religious as long as they could purchase children to marry and abuse.

Now that females are no longer slave class citizens the desire to have more than one has declined in tandem.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Polygamy was only valuable to the religious as long as they could purchase children to marry and abuse.

Now that females are no longer slave class citizens the desire to have more than one has declined in tandem.

The only polyamorus people that I personally know are atheists.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I have no problem with polygamists. I just can't see putting myself through that. Cripes, one at a time is pain enough.

A HUGE amen to that!

I'm on my third wife, I can't imagine there'd be much left of me at this point had I married all three at the same time.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I don't have a problem with polygamy, as long as the people are consenting adults. I have watched a couple shows about it (Sister Wives and Polygamy, USA) and I find it very interesting that it's the WOMEN who choose the husbands in Polygamy, USA. Plural marriage is a very important part of their religion.

A world largely unknown and unseen to the general public, for the first time, the people of Centennial Park have allowed cameras unprecedented access to their rites, rituals and lives. Here, women choose their husbands through an inspiration from God, while husbands try to prove themselves worthy and wait to be chosen.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Are you kidding? With all the divorces, single hook-ups, cheating ect , having more than one partner you have children with has increased dramatically. The only thing that has declined is the commitment to take care of the first partner.
edit on June 30th 2013 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2

Are you kidding? With all the divorces, single hook-ups, cheating ect , having more than one partner you have children with as increased dramatically. The only thing that has declined is the commitment to take care of the first partner.

Wow. Very succinctly put.

The sad part to me is that you pretty much nailed it in two sentences; the lack of mutual personal responsibility is rampant in our society.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

So uhm... those islamist folks that do it in other countries are atheists? Mormons are atheist too?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well, since the Mormon ideal of Polygamy is embodied by Brigham Young, a guy that sired a reported 196 children, I'd say it's total crap. There's no physical way you could be a good father to that many people no matter how much money you might have. The last thing the Earth needs is more humans. Want a lot of women? Then get a lot of women, but I don't see why the hell you would have to be legally married to a harem.
edit on 30-6-2013 by centhwevir1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

Haha, you don't get out much, do you? Christians love to sleep around, ever met a Senator? I'd encourage you to watch the latest episode of Inside Amy Schumer where she parodies ChristianMingle with a website that hooks up Christians with people to cheat on their spouses with, so they can be sure their values match up.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by centhwevir1979
Want a lot of women? Then get a lot of women, but I don't see why the hell you would have to be legally married to a harem.

Do you believe that polygamy should be outlawed just because you do see the reason someone might desire to be married to more than one person? Do you have a reason to keep more than two people legally married?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by centhwevir1979

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

Haha, you don't get out much, do you? Christians love to sleep around, ever met a Senator? I'd encourage you to watch the latest episode of Inside Amy Schumer where she parodies ChristianMingle with a website that hooks up Christians with people to cheat on their spouses with, so they can be sure their values match up.

I get out plenty, I just don't tend to keep company with any religious polyamorists. There is a vast difference between cheating on a spouse, and being in a polyamorus relationship, and I don't think some television show poking fun at Christians is going to do much to change my opinion.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I don't think a polygamy lifestyle should be illegal, I just don't encourage legal marriage between more than two individuals. That's the most effective and traditional bond, as shown by the course of human history and its many cultures. And how is the IRS supposed to tax a "42 person" couple, anyhow?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye

So uhm... those islamist folks that do it in other countries are atheists? Mormons are atheist too?

I don't know personally know any 'islamist folks' in other countries with more than one wife, nor do I personally know any mormons with more than one wife or husband.
edit on 30-6-2013 by MichaelPMaccabee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join