It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The face of Gay love

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FriedBabelBroccoli
Your citation of 10% of the population being homosexual is based on a 1948 Kinsey study which estimated that up 10% of the male population could be homosexual.

Recent studies and surveys show a drastic difference between the assumptions from nearly 70 years ago.

Please get with the times and stop pushing such an outdated ideology.

It's not an ideology, it's an estimated number. The 10% estimate may be old but it is still the most widely accepted approximation. Those links range the numbers from 1% actual gay couples that identified themselves in the census to 23% estimates from people when being asked. There is also this problem in finding the actual number;

There's also the matter of Gallup itself and whether any survey can accurately measure this particular statistic. Asking people to honestly self-identify with anything isn't never easy, and identity is something a lot of young people still struggle to answer to themselves, let alone a Gallup call center employee. Of course, that's a methodology issue that no census could solve, so any attempt to measure the population this way is going to be imperfect.

From your Atlantic Wire link.

To us in the gay community it does not matter if we are 1% or 20% We are still human and we are still a minority and therefore no threat. Love is love no matter what spin you try to put on it,
edit on 30-6-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

To us in the gay community it does not matter if we are 1% or 20%
reply to post by markosity1973

You are the One Percent.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dusty1

To us in the gay community it does not matter if we are 1% or 20%

You are the One Percent.

I guess I am. But one percent does not seem so small when most of your friends are also gay and lesbian couples too. Remember, 1% of 313 million is still 3.1 million gay people in relationships. That's almost 3 x the population of the city I live in. So it's not such an insignificant number after all.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I guess I am. But one percent does not seem so small when most of your friends are also gay and lesbian couples too. Remember, 1% of 313 million is still 3.1 million gay people in relationships. That's almost 3 x the population of the city I live in. So it's not such an insignificant number after all.

So your group, is like every other elite group that dominates this society.

Insulated.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

There is no quantifiable data out there as most countries do not recognize same sex marriage. You'll have to give it 10-20 years first...then you can post the data as relevant or not.

Actually, there is emerging data out there on gay divorce - yes it's still early days but the results from Denmark and the UK are about the same or lower than the general populace whereas Norway and Sweden have an horrific divorce rate.

en.wikipedia.org...

There's also this data on gay monogamy - monogamy and the attitude toward it is a good indicator of whether a marriage will succeed. Everyone has improved in the monogamy stakes since the 70's believe it or not which kinda flies in the face of all of those lamenting the breakdown of traditional values. Gay men are still the worst but have improved hugely, but lesbians are now more faithful than heterosexual couples.

Although the most recent data are from 2000, Green says it allowed for a direct comparison because the questions posed were the same used in 1975.
The percentage of heterosexual men who reported having sex with someone other than their wife dropped to 10% in 2000 from 28% in 1975; among married women, it declined to 14% from 23%. Among gay men, the percentage who cheated on a partner they lived with dropped to 59% from 83%; for lesbians it declined to 8% from 28%. Half the gays and lesbians in the study were in civil unions, half were living together in committed relationships, the researchers say.

So urce

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dusty1

So your group, is like every other elite group that dominates this society.

Insulated.

In order to make a change a minority has to make a lot of noise to be noticed.

Our group like all other minorites when they fight for something is being vocal because the majority seeks to marginalise us and treat us like second class citizens in our own countries. Women were just as derided and look down upon when they fought for the vote, but now everyone considers the thought of women not having the right to have a say in the deomocracy of their own country as shocking. People used to argue that slavery was justified because there was a 'natural order' to things. Nowadays the thought of a human being being 'owned' like cattle is considered so shocking and inhumane we would prefer to think it never happened.

You need to travel to somewhere like NZ where gay marriage is now legal. The gay community is not in everyone's face any more and everyone is just getting on with their lives like they always did. Given time the change will not worry anyone any more because something new will come along and be in everyone's face and we will have long forgotten the heady days where the gays rallied and fought for the same freedoms as everyone else.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
An absolutely fantastic clip OP.

I'm going to add it immediately to my thread on Gay Pride Parades around the world, and sharing ideas and identities.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=16453655#pid16453655

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
An absolutely fantastic clip OP.

I'm going to add it immediately to my thread on Gay Pride Parades around the world, and sharing ideas and identities.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=16453655#pid16453655

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks halfoldman and I am borrowing the vid from www.abovetopsecret.com...

When the law was changed in my home country of NZ I was not there for that day. But the jubilation in the parliament and the gallery breaking out to sing of one NZ's most famous and beautiful Maori language songs, Pokarekare Ana, is a truly moving tribute to genuine kindness and unity that exists in some people's hearts. It makes me proud to be a kiwi

top topics

<< 1   >>

join