It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Grand Illusion: World Peace

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Hey ats community!

I wasn't too sure where to post this but i think the philosophy category was well suited for it.
Now this is a blog that my friend started very recently. In a nutshell when he's stoned he sometimes has these what he calls "revelations" he writes down the main point and then once he's sober he sits down and formally blogs about it.

He made this Blog i think yesterday and it was about why World peace is impossible to reach,
I'm not trying to get him page views or stuff like that, i myself found the post quite interesting.

i REALLY encourage you guys to take a little time and read his post, and please share your opinion and tell me / us what you think
thanks you

Namaste

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Archon23

The world will never know peace but you can.
The world must be understood for what it is and it will be overcome.
edit on 30-6-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Archon23

Correct...

in the current state of our understanding of the world and things within the world as a whole... world peace can not be attained... ever

the world is focused on what they can see as opposed to what they feel...

Material vs Immaterial... Or Physical vs Spiritual

We exist in a world driven by material possession... which includes all governments... and most people residing under most governments...

World peace can not exist within this paradigm at it is

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Seeing is a feeling. If one sees with ones eyes, one will not see 'the world'.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The grand illusion is that there is a 'world'.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I like the use of this quote at the tale end...

The instinct can be fought, we're human beings, with the blood of million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it. We can admit that we're killers, but we are not going to kill today, that's all it takes, knowing that we're not going to kill today. - Captain James T. Kirk

And I like your friend

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Well I see and feel this world is going to the dogs...

and has been for the past.... I don't know... 2-3000 years?

How about you?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

The Grand illusion is the illusion that there will be world peace, i think that's what he's trying to communicate with the title,

i'm so glad for the positive feedback , i do encourage you guys to have a look at his blog every now & then because he's got some great material coming up.

And yes, the Captain Kirk quote is simply fantastic Gene Roddenberry was a complete genius.

Namaste.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Well I see and feel this world is going to the dogs...

and has been for the past.... I don't know... 2-3000 years?

How about you?

You have an idea in mind that the world is going to the dogs. But an idea is not a feeling - an idea produces feelings of fear. The 'world' is a set of ideas and beliefs - you can never feel the world, but you will feel the sensation that arises when you hear stories told about the world.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Archon23

The Grand illusion is the illusion that there will be world peace, i think that's what he's trying to communicate with the title,

The Grand Illusion is the world.
The world only appears in mind - in thought. Can you see the world? Have you ever seen the world? The world is a bunch of ideas and beliefs held in mind (the world is constructed in mind).
Experience is what is real.

So yes, 'world peace' is a grand illusion. Peace is right here and right now when the 'world' has been found to be an illusion. There is only what is appearing presently but the mind constructs a pretend world 'out there'. There is no 'out there' - there is only ever what is happening right now.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
In order for it to be an illusion, wouldn't it first have to be something that is perceived as being a real thing?

The world only appears in mind - in thought. Can you see the world? Have you ever seen the world?

I see the World as I see it.
edit on 6/30/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

In order for it to be an illusion, wouldn't it first have to be something that is perceived as being a real thing?

Is a rainbow a real thing? Is a mirage a real thing?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

The world only appears in mind - in thought. Can you see the world? Have you ever seen the world?

I see the World as I see it.

Where can you see the world? From outer space?
Or do you see the world in front of you? Or do you put it together in mind (in thought and ideas)?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Yes

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Yes

What are they made of?
Rainbows and mirages are appearances made of nothing. They look as if they are there but when approached they are not made of any thing. They are illusions.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

What are they made of?
It doesn't matter.

They are completely different things. Rainbows are an optical illusion, whereas World Peace is something entirely different.

Here, I changed it just for you.......

In order for it to be an illusion, wouldn't it first have to be something that is perceived as actually being a real possibility?

Is that better?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
well if what we perceive as real just relies on our 5 senses then isn't technically everything around us real? even rainbows...

oh and i don't think the world is an illusion, in my opinion "world" is simply a word for our planet and the people on it as a collective, that's my opinion but ah well

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

What are they made of?
It doesn't matter.

Here, I changed it just for you.......

In order for it to be an illusion, wouldn't it first have to be something that is perceived as actually being a real possibility?

Is that better?

The idea of 'world peace' is an idea based on a great misunderstanding. There is no world - the world appears as an idea in mind and if the mind is not at peace it will be in conflict - it then assumes there is conflict in the world. The only conflict (not peace) there is, is in mind - mind/thought is dualistic so it will always conflict.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Archon23
well if what we perceive as real just relies on our 5 senses then isn't technically everything around us real? even rainbows...

oh and i don't think the world is an illusion, in my opinion "world" is simply a word for our planet and the people on it as a collective, that's my opinion but ah well

A rainbow appears but it appears in you. The world is an idea that appears in you.
Without a receiver of the appearance can any appearance appear?
What is real?

Imagine watching a tv with no screen. It would be impossible. The picture has to appear on the screen - without the screen no picture (image) could appear. The screen is primary - yet the screen is not noticed when the picture is moving around on it.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Reworded, I was basically saying that World Peace is not an illusion, because it is not a real possibility.

If anything, World Peace would probably be more of a delusion, than an illusion.

The idea of 'world peace' is an idea based on a great misunderstanding. There is no world - the world appears as an idea in mind and if the mind is not at peace it will be in conflict - it then assumes there is conflict in the world. The only conflict (not peace) there is, is in mind - mind/thought is dualistic so it will always conflict.
To each their own. You can live inside your mind all you want. I choose to live in my world, not yours.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join