It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Know So Much.. Write A Thread About It.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Here is a clue on how to see these people. 10,000 posts.... 3 flags.... 5,000 stars.

You do know that some of the mods fit this profile don't you? So what if a person isn't a thread starter most people are unable to spend time looking through various news reports to see which is worthy of posting.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
My first ATS post. Maybe I'll learn how to avatar soon?
I get the vibe this is about being proud..
So here's the knowledge I'm glad I know. ~predisposed sorry
Phil Schneider, bob lazar, santos bonacci, cult of Saturn, orgone, mkultra/monarch programming, economic Hitmen, singularity, Turing test, 100th monkey effect, collective concious, Blackwater, project blue beam & paper clip, dulce base, god particle, Bilderberg, tavistock institute, 13 bloodlines, eugenics, police-state, Dennō Senshi Porygon, chi qi, chakras, GMO, Monsanto, power of frequency. +Much more

Sorry again- the future is now.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Why bother starting a thread that's been covered 6000 times ?

Why bother starting a thread on a news topic that by the time you go to make a thread on it, there are 3 other threads that beat you to it ?

Why bother starting a thread that ends up getting derailed by the 5th post ?

Christ, I get frustrated with threads that instantly get derailed by trolls and I'm not even the author of the thread...

Why bother starting a thread to have someone come along and "politely remind you" that there was already a thread "here, here, and here" back in 2007 ?

I'll stick to posting replies and opinions and offering substance to other people's threads and handing them the stars and flags for putting forth the effort... I have a life outside of ATS and don't always have the time to babysit my own threads day after day.

And on that note:

Why bother starting a thread where posters whine because the author hasn't been able to be on the thread for a couple of days to acknowledge other people's posts ?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

2nd ATS post. Seems we need a site without trolls. But is it possible

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I am among those that do not author many threads, but I don't take your rant personally as I don't see it as pertaining to me, but rather points out those who think they are uppity know it alls who come into a thread and attempt to force their personal "expertise" down the OPs (and everyone else's) throats. I honestly believe it is this particular kind of "trolling" activity that causes the lack of interesting, substantial threads on the boards because people are sick of dealing with them.

It's my opinion that if these people were so smart and such "experts" they would be too busy accepting prestigious awards and attending book signings to spend their time trying to make others look like idiots. Nobody likes a "Know it all"!

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'm more of a responder than a thread starter, which is ironic because I'm a blogger (blog generates almost 1000 views per month). Thing is, even my blog has gone silent. Haven't written anything for even it for months and months now. Big part of the issue for me is not that I don't have anything to share. I do. I've spent the last year and a half scouring public databases of various government agencies, annual reports of both government agencies and corporations, patents filed in the US patent office, and private university databases for information. Basically, I've got a whole lot of stuff crammed in my head. The major reasons why I don't start a thread about any particular subject (or blog about it, for that matter) is usually either a. I don't feel like I know for sure one way or another what it all means to reasonably draw a conclusion, b. someone already has a thread going on a subject that I can chime in on (most frequent), c. the subject matter is overwhelming and really depressing (believe it or not, I actually have seen some documents that I cannot bear to even think about because it turns everything upside down), or d. nobody will bother to read it or won't get what I'm saying because I can't provide them access to the very articles that I may cite due to costly subscription fees. Those are the major reasons why I don't start threads very often and when I do, it's generally some news story that hasn't been posted yet that I think may be of some interest to the members here.

So that's my plight and trust me, it drives me nuts. I was once an active blogger but now I feel like I've got a sock in my mouth. If anybody can think of a cure, I'd really appreciate it.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Some people post threads, many simply reply. Nothing wrong with either. If you make a statement, support it with facts. If the facts go against the OP, too bad for the OP. (I would rather someone call out a thread I post than agree with it if it's wrong.)

For the people that make statements without providing sources, yes, that can be frustrating.

Yeah I agree, some start threads while others post. It's a symbiotic relationship. The point of a thread is to bring on discussion and people have all different stances for all different types of topics so clearly there are those who will agree & disagree with any OP. I enjoy those that add much substance to threads with their posts.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
I really had to get that out, I guess its a bit upsetting when you actually author threads and then get the "non-called subject expert" to come in with lots of things that in their own eyes they feel they should be more vocal than the author.

Its one thing to disagree, or bring evidence, not just ohhh, I saw on the flinstones once, they were actually cars, their feet were necessary gears before gasoline was invented LOL, or I watched the smurfs and those were houses "shaped" like mushrooms but not real mushrooms. Or something that seriously should be a one post drive by that turns into a an 18 page unnecessary, unasked for novel.

Peace, NRE.

I can't see why it would bother you. If they have something interesting or meaningful to add people will respond, you the OP will respond...if not no one will respond and no harm done.

Personally I like to hear the perspective of all types of people and some types like myself do not enjoy starting threads and finding time to keep track of them. Commenting on subjects that are already in the multitudes can be done whenever a person has time.

Now if someone were being rude and name calling or some personal aim I could understand your point.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Some people post threads, many simply reply. Nothing wrong with either. If you make a statement, support it with facts. If the facts go against the OP, too bad for the OP. (I would rather someone call out a thread I post than agree with it if it's wrong.)

For the people that make statements without providing sources, yes, that can be frustrating.

I agree completely with everything you said except...

Sometimes there are no facts or little facts and peoples opinions can be rightly discussed also...why not.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

and you know what if I dont have any evidence, or at least a valid argument then I move on,

We each feel our arguments are valid that is what makes for a discussion if there is no or little evidence on a subject.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

and you know what if I dont have any evidence, or at least a valid argument then I move on,

We each feel our arguments are valid that is what makes for a discussion if there is no or little evidence on a subject.

But doesn't that also make one prone to confirmation bias in that, instead of seeking for truth, one is actually seeking for specific information that provides evidence for that which one already feels to be true? Worse yet, when evidence to the contrary is provided then it is likely to be utterly rejected because it contradicts with what one feels to be true. I've seen people on these boards actually propose and provide evidence that is contrary to what another believes only to see them get viciously attacked. Dogma exists on both sides of the conspiratorial equation and one of the hardest things to shift is another person's deeply held beliefs.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

If you have a discussion on a subject unless it is something well accepted by most people and science...

If you remove anyones opinions and why they have that opinion, you have no discussion.

true there are people who are not in a discussion looking to find truth one way or another, I know there have been several things that my heart tells me is so and I think IT would take a lot of valid proof to change my mind. Still I wish to share my view...is that wrong?
edit on 30-6-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

It's not wrong in the slightest to have an opinion and that is not what I mean to say at all. I actually have a very deep respect for others' opinions because those opinions basically direct to areas where enough evidence for a claim may be lacking. Basically, if you're attempting to make a claim with evidence and people are still not convinced, then it may be due to insufficient evidence. The problem begins, however, when evidence that is contrary to one's opinion is utterly rejected solely on the basis of feeling, unexamined presuppositions, and bias. That is the very definition of irrationality and results in cherry picking, which is fallacious. A lot of times, I think that we tend to see things as being either this or that due to deeply ingrained presuppositions or bias. It essentially closes our eyes to alternative possibilities even when those possibilities have more evidence that would be accepted as valid by society in general (ie academic journals, patents, and etc). The irony is that some subjects will be very unlikely to be received well by society even with those approved sources because it slams against deeply held beliefs. I've seen a few people peppering stuff out and watched the response. It doesn't fare well despite good evidence.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheomExperience

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Or something that seriously should be a one post drive by that turns into a an 18 page unnecessary, unasked for novel.

Yes there are a few on ATS that are notorious for doing this. I wonder how the author feels to check their post and see pages of arguments not even related to the thread anymore.

I love when the author leaves and never comes back....why make a thread at all if you never respond? You don't get to trade in your flags for money.
edit on 30-6-2013 by superman2012 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If you know so much about knowing so much and making threads about it you should......oh wait

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Sometimes there are no facts or little facts and peoples opinions can be rightly discussed also...why not.

A very reasonable point. Especially in threads such as this one where everything is subjective. I was speaking more about threads that can be supported by facts or evidence that are clearly ignored in their creation. But you bring up a good point about other threads which don't fall in the category I was referring to.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
There are some of us who do not have the time to write a thread. I can honestly admit, I have knowledge on certain middle east issues that are not known by 99% of people. I try continuously to enlighten individuals on ATS with certain viewpoints that I know are not accurate. However people shout for proof and evidence and to give it to them in a thread. The fact of the matter is that I simply have more important things to do in my life than to try to convince ungrateful people, that shout for evidence before even utilizing their common sense, about something I KNOW to be true.

In other words, I believe that the lack of effort to write threads by ATS users isn't due to effort at all or knowledge. It is that sometimes ATS is undeserving of certain truths, truths that cannot be handled by the masses of ATS.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Many topics do not fit the format of a blog post or bulletin board thread.

They are too lengthy or nuanced for adequate representation.

You may have a legitimate grasp of something new under the sun, which you have need to express, so you post it and...

(crickets)

For this reason, you soon learn to avoid casting your pearls in inappropriate places.

Besides, I think that this should be fun. It is our communicative use of the internet and will be surely superseded by more advanced technology one day. We should bask in it for the brief moment when we can contribute.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
i can be a very busy person we have 2 children under the age of 4 , i work stupid long hours , maybe you have the time to spend all day preparing a thread good for you . i still have a thread in the workings as to why i support agenda 21 i have been half working on for months i just don't have the time .. sorry you hate me so

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I hate threads that like to be clever to get attention.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join