It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Know So Much.. Write A Thread About It.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I have respect for all contributors here, but more for those that write threads. Yeah, Im not afraid to say it.

We have a few that write threads and some that just look around for something to respond to, who write nothing other than their "expert" opinion on things, and feel that its enough, either its a smart (not intelligent) remark to get stars, or enough of their opinion to make you not want to take part anymore, yet you would think, hey smarty, why dont you write your own thread??

Here is a clue on how to see these people.

10,000 posts.... 3 flags.... 5,000 stars.

Dont be the editor of a thread, just write one of your own, if everyone is soooo wrong, and you soooo right, by all means, some people are willing to take time, and pages to add to an already existing thread, yet refuse to write one.

Yes, we know you are all knowing, but come on, disagreeing about any topic is conversation, but if you can "claim" to be %1000000000 sure, then by all means, lets either go to the debate forum (Im all for it), or write a thread.

Most peoples argument is "oh, because I dont agree, is why you think I am doing this... UMMMM NO! Its because your actually doing it, and because you have written like this 10,000 other times you think that its acceptable.

Well not for everyone.

Oh and if you dont agree with me, well then you should have written your own thread about it

Rant done, Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

My confession: I'm a responder, on this and other forums.

A responder is someone who intends to be a lurker, but fails when he/she reads threads, and wants to say something. This ends up happening with us quite often.

You are probably right, we should own up to the fact we enjoy communicating and post more threads. I will try to do this.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Everyone participates in ATS differently I guess.

Even if they may not author many of their own threads, as long as their posts add to the conversation I'm definitely cool with that. Some people may feel that they aren't capable of posting well thought out and elaborate threads, so instead they reply to threads already started.

There are cases like you mentioned though, people who are very combative in their posts and always seem to be against everyone and every subject and seem to "know it all" yet never make their own threads, I just skip over those most of the time.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I gave up on threads honestly. I hated trying to start a discussion only to watch it fail horribly.

I'll only make one now if something huge happens locally but for no other reason.

to be honest there are somethings I am an expert in but never chime in on those subjects as I like to read what others say about it more so. The things I tend to not understand is where I post the most so I can activate discussion and hopefully strive for general progress among the members.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I really had to get that out, I guess its a bit upsetting when you actually author threads and then get the "non-called subject expert" to come in with lots of things that in their own eyes they feel they should be more vocal than the author.

Its one thing to disagree, or bring evidence, not just ohhh, I saw on the flinstones once, they were actually cars, their feet were necessary gears before gasoline was invented LOL, or I watched the smurfs and those were houses "shaped" like mushrooms but not real mushrooms. Or something that seriously should be a one post drive by that turns into a an 18 page unnecessary, unasked for novel.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Ah yes, I remember my first thread.
It was about how I had just lost 1500 ATS points due to an 'Extreme' violation of T&C.

Good times... though it's a hole I have yet to climb out of.

I was close a few times...
But it's always something...

I've come to terms with the fact that I may never have positive ATS points, ever again.

(frown)

Lol.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by tridentblue

My confession: I'm a responder, on this and other forums.

A responder is someone who intends to be a lurker, but fails when he/she reads threads, and wants to say something. This ends up happening with us quite often.

You are probably right, we should own up to the fact we enjoy communicating and post more threads. I will try to do this.

A REAL ATS'er comes forth.

Great admission and look forward to your threads.

Star...

Peace

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Or something that seriously should be a one post drive by that turns into a an 18 page unnecessary, unasked for novel.

Yes there are a few on ATS that are notorious for doing this. I wonder how the author feels to check their post and see pages of arguments not even related to the thread anymore.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I gave up on threads honestly. I hated trying to start a discussion only to watch it fail horribly.

I'll only make one now if something huge happens locally but for no other reason.

to be honest there are somethings I am an expert in but never chime in on those subjects as I like to read what others say about it more so. The things I tend to not understand is where I post the most so I can activate discussion and hopefully strive for general progress among the members.

I'm kinda in the same boat. From the sound of it, I don't think the OP was referring to us; but, yeah, I know what you mean. Early on I attracted the attention of a couple of members who liked to insistently troll my threads. I gave it up for a long time because it was just so discouraging.

But now I guess other members don't think of me as a thread-starter--so even if I think I've done a well-written treatment of an interesting subject, I'm likely to only get like 2 or 3 responses and ignominious death....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Some people post threads, many simply reply. Nothing wrong with either. If you make a statement, support it with facts. If the facts go against the OP, too bad for the OP. (I would rather someone call out a thread I post than agree with it if it's wrong.)

For the people that make statements without providing sources, yes, that can be frustrating.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Though I know better than to try to bring up any members by name, I figured that this was something that I began to notice more and more, and I have seen writers of great threads write less and less, and wondered if I was the only one that felt this way.

I used to be the one in a thread where someone ranted about the quality of threads, and my response would be "write better/more threads" it will change. But until recently I began to notice why some are getting turned off by it. I dont even really write that much for as long as I have been here, but I take what I write seriously, and I try my damnedest to do the best that I can.

If I see a thread that I disagree with, I read, and you know what if I dont have any evidence, or at least a valid argument then I move on, or if someone can write something that I agree with and I didnt do it, I will give them a star, but come one.

Peace, NRE.

P.S.
Please believe this was not intended for anyone other than the members that will read this, and KNOW I meant it for them and there are quite a few, this is also for those that havent written a thread like this, but sure as heck wanted too.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Some people post threads, many simply reply. Nothing wrong with either. If you make a statement, support it with facts. If the facts go against the OP, too bad for the OP. (I would rather someone call out a thread I post than agree with it if it's wrong.)

For the people that make statements without providing sources, yes, that can be frustrating.

Absolutely! A member with a disagreement and evidence is awesome, if anything its a certified thread when everyone is participating, but when I have to get U2Us from members that rather message me than write because its pages full of the same nonsense, I feel that I should speak up.

If I write a thread about medical infections and a member comes in and says there is no evidence for that because they had boo-boo's before and it didnt happen to them so my claim is false, then Im sorry, there is no reason for me to answer that post, and you would think that that would be the end... but NOOOOOO.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I don't write threads because I hate all the damn editing and enjoy even less looking up information to destroy someone elses time and "research". A gentle reminder though. Look at how much here is no more than copy pasta; where many people simply comment on pasted news links.

edit on 30-6-2013 by Nephalim because: stupid typos

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
*Checks posts flags and stars*

Not everyone wants or indeed has time to author a whole thread and then look after it,

Like Dominar said

Even if they may not author many of their own threads, as long as their posts add to the conversation I'm definitely cool with that. Some people may feel that they aren't capable of posting well thought out and elaborate threads, so instead they reply to threads already started.

It's horrible to author a well researched thread only to see it disappear into the ether, because someone wrote for example a thread that attacks Israel or gays.

I know it's the nature of ATS but there is a why bother? Sort of poster, when I can just give my opinion, and that's fine by me.

It's ones flagrantly oppose for the sake of inflaming without source to back them up that annoy me, you know the type "I'll disagree to an enormous extent it's a good way to collect stars for being an annoying prat"

Just my 2 cents

Cody

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Ya know, I used to think like you.

Problem is, it goes like this.

You pour your heart and soul into researching something you are passionate about. Spend days preparing it, researching it, gathering sources and pictures.

First reply is usually some dimwit who reads half of what you write, spends five minutes doing a search, and then plastering your page with "it's already been done here, here, here and here."

Then you get a few good replies, and if you're lucky it gets to two pages, and dies a miserable death. If it gets popular enough, then the trolls come in droves, sends the topic off the rails and you feel like you should reach into the screen and tear the thread out.

Yeah. I used to think like you.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
If I genuinely felt I had something more profound or relevant to contribute than to offer a simple opinion on those topics which interest me, I would create more threads. But I honestly don't feel that I do. I'm a simple person just here to learn, discuss, and hopefully express good will.

Also, as my opinions tend to be fairly open and not particularly decisive or absolute, I've found that my topics don't meet with much interest as do more polarizing threads. I have created a few, and very few have met with much interest. Which is fine, don't get me wrong.

Peace.
edit on 6/30/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Elaboration and typo.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

........or I watched the smurfs and those were houses "shaped" like mushrooms but not real mushrooms. Or something that seriously should be a one post drive by that turns into a an 18 page unnecessary, unasked for novel.
No No No No No. That is incorrect. They were mushrooms first, that were then transformed into comfortable living quarters. Those lil blue rodents aint stupid.

They are similar to Morel Mushrooms, which are completely hollow. All they had to do was cut a couple holes in it. Shove a window in one, and a door in the other. Then move in a couple pieces of furniture, and Voila!!

They are all male except for one, which means that most of them don't like cleaning up their houses. So they found a loophole, which allows them to avoid that problem. Why waste your time cleaning, when you can be all moved in to a brand new home before lunchtime? Brilliant!! Absolutely Brilliant!!

Since I thought that everyone already knew that↑, the idea of starting a new thread about it, never would have even crossed my mind. After realizing that you did not know, I decided to enlighten you with the information. You're very welcome.

edit on 6/30/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

You pour your heart and soul into researching something you are passionate about. Spend days preparing it, researching it, gathering sources and pictures. First reply is usually some dimwit who reads half of what you write, spends five minutes doing a search, and then plastering your page with "it's already been done here, here, here and here." Then you get a few good replies, and if you're lucky it gets to two pages, and dies a miserable death. If it gets popular enough, then the trolls come in droves, sends the topic off the rails and you feel like you should reach into the screen and tear the thread out.

Yep I have had a few threads like that.

I find they (trolls) just make themselves look stupid these days and most people know what and who the trolls are. It is still discouraging when you write a great thread and get pages of trolls and then one or two good responses. There have been many threads I wanted to start but know that if I do, it will become a troll cave.....

I hate that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Rant OP,
s&f
edit on 30-6-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I think you might be taking the internet to serious Bro

Who cares

Ignore the OP and do as you like people

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I say...live and let live.

If you want to respond...fine; if don't want to respond and just read...that is ok too.

If you want to create a thread...then create! If not...that is ok!

I really think that (acceptance) and (tolerance) of other members; is a good way to be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join