It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to unveil broad African electrical power initiative

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
One of the sick things in his plan is that $7 Billion isn't squat when you are talking electrical systems of that size. High voltage line construction starts at $1 million a mile and doubles quickly with higher voltage, DC high voltage, terrain and other factors. Substations can cost $10 -50 million each and a respectably sized power plant can cost well over $1 billion each. Then there is the cost of getting the fuel to the plant. $7 billion isn't even good seed money.

I expect that $7 billion would be just enough to open some planning offices and funnel some cash to US and Africa buddies of the Anointed One.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hard to believe isn't it?

African leaders are not known for there honest distribution of funding,

OH wait did I just say that?

edit on 113131p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Oh goodness.. I thought we had sequester going on and demands of budget cutting with finances being so bad, tours of the White House can't even be allowed for lack of staff support. Yet... Look here?

OK..I'll look

The United States will initially work with Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria and Tanzania to develop electric power generation, officials said. It will also cooperate with Uganda and Mozambique on oil and gas management.

The program will draw on a range of U.S. government agencies to achieve its goals. For example, the U.S. Overseas Private Investment Corp will commit as much as $1.5 billion in finance and insurance to help U.S. companies manage the risks associated with the projects.

Similarly, the U.S. Export-Import Bank will make up to $5 billion available to support U.S. exports to develop power projects, the officials said.
Source

You are sharp Rabbit, which makes these threads a little dissapointing.

Can you tell me about those two agencies?

U.S. Overseas Private Investment Corp

OPIC mobilizes private capital to help solve critical development challenges and in doing so, advances U.S. foreign policy. Because OPIC works with the U.S. private sector, it helps U.S. businesses gain footholds in emerging markets, catalyzing revenues, jobs and growth opportunities both at home and abroad.

www.opic.gov...

U.S. Export-Import Bank

Ex-Im Bank enables U.S. companies — large and small — to turn export opportunities into real sales that help to maintain and create U.S. jobs and contribute to a stronger national economy.

www.exim.gov...

They LOAN money to US Businesses to invest in hot markets...

No offense rabbit, but I find the OP dishonest.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Don't kid yourself Indigo, the US Import/Export Bank is us. It is a government agency providing US backed guarantees (remember the FHA housing collapse) ( the bank bail-outs) which taxpayers stand behind.

www.exim.gov...

The big "O" is committing US taxpayers to the money.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Deciding that somehow it's our problem to solve,

God forbid we actually help someone!

Wait a second --- The world's problems are our responsibility...? Huh... You know, funnily enough, that sounds exactly like our excuse for violating the sovreignty of basically every country we've entered in the past 3/4ths of a century!

Weird. I guess it's only legitimate if our goal involves killing people.

I think your moral compass is pointing in the wrong direction.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Why should our government give money to help african war lords kill people... It is a known fact that funds, food, medicines, support vehicles, all known other supplies gets stolen by the biggest and baddest african gang by the barrel of a gun.. No one minds helping people, AMERICA is the NUMBER 1 biggest charity givers TO THE WORLD, willingly, we don't need these ass hats in office giving away tax payers money.. American people willingly will give up their own money, but this take a slice off both sides is getting INSANE!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Wait a second --- The world's problems are our responsibility...? Huh... You know, funnily enough, that sounds exactly like our excuse for violating the sovreignty of basically every country we've entered in the past 3/4ths of a century!

How much has been donated to Africa in the last few decades?

Billions upon billions, how much reaches the people?
How much gets pocketed by despots and dictators?
Have you been paying close attention to the religious wars, and genocide taking place?
Africans killing other Africans.

Africans would have been much better off is we would not have tried and change them from what they once were.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
just another welfare donation to people that can't seem to help themselves for the last I dunno THOUSAND years

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
just another welfare donation to people that can't seem to help themselves for the last I dunno THOUSAND years

Another way aid made people dependent, their once great tribes were self sufficient, they are doing this all over the globe, every nation.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
FYI - The sequester is/was the GOPs brilliant idea, not Obama's. It's the President's job to try to get things done even if a group of short sighted, abortion-obsessed obstructionists are trying to do anything/everything to harpoon whatever idea the President might come with. I'm surprized that some people may still not be aware of this fact. The GOP has been utilizing their 'to-Hell-with-America' stratagy since January, 2009.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Yeah.. right... just private companies run by Ma and Pa Kettle. Did you miss OPIC's own site stating they are an agency of the U.S. Federal Government, founded in 1971?

The President of the United States makes a habit of committing the funds of private companies by the billions to Government Policy initiatives, right? I mean, that's normal? Look, you'r nitpicking is entertaining at times...here? It's just attacking for the sake of saying you held Obama's water for another bad move on his part.

He, as President, refers to this as commitment of United States funding by the power of the United States Government. He doesn't refer to it as the commitment of U.S. Citizen's generosity. If you find the article, OP title or coverage unfair or dishonest, take it up with the Reuters who carried the story and President Barack Obama, who announced billions more US Dollars leaving this nation at a time of our greatest need.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx

Why should our government give money to help african war lords kill people... It is a known fact that funds, food, medicines, support vehicles, all known other supplies gets stolen by the biggest and baddest african gang by the barrel of a gun.. No one minds helping people, AMERICA is the NUMBER 1 biggest charity givers TO THE WORLD, willingly, we don't need these ass hats in office giving away tax payers money.. American people willingly will give up their own money, but this take a slice off both sides is getting INSANE!

Oh, yea. African Warlords. The only people who live in desperate areas of Africa. I forgot.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

How much has been donated to Africa in the last few decades?

Billions upon billions, how much reaches the people?
How much gets pocketed by despots and dictators?
Have you been paying close attention to the religious wars, and genocide taking place?
Africans killing other Africans.

Africans would have been much better off is we would not have tried and change them from what they once were.

A religious war funded largely by the Vatican. Not the US's fault.

I guess as long as a dictator pockets some of the cash we donate, the starving folks don't deserve anything.

Good point. Better that we give it away to a dictator in some other country, which we will do anyway.
edit on 1-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The President of the United States makes a habit of committing the funds of private companies by the billions to Government Policy initiatives, right? I mean, that's normal?

Well, it's normal in a fascist state....

Is that what you meant, Wrabbit?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hey, Marines your fireworks have been canceled,

nation.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Hmm, considering the debt issue in The U.S., and the many issues of setting this up, keeping it safe, secure, etc etc in Africa, this is a bad idea. Let's just be hopeful that something good comes out of this project...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

reply to post by bloodreviara

Well, I certainly do find it interesting that he has no qualms about spreading the pain around America but comes full of gifts and give aways when he's overseas.

Does he see himself as the AMERICAN President or leader to the world? I think he's delusional about keeping perspective on that.

You're being distracted from the true reality here.

Obama is African, and he wants to ensure all his kids and grandkids have power and running water!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

Yeah.. right... just private companies run by Ma and Pa Kettle. Did you miss OPIC's own site stating they are an agency of the U.S. Federal Government, founded in 1971?

Right...that facilitates PRIVATE investment and PRIVATE capital in foriegn countries. ANY corporation or small ma and pa shop that exports or does business abroad understands this. The US Gov. has resources to help US companies invest and make money abroad.

The President of the United States makes a habit of committing the funds of private companies by the billions to Government Policy initiatives, right? I
....Nope, these are PRIVATE companies that committed the money themselves. The gov. helps them pool the money, deal with African govs and regulations and generally get thier foot in the door.

He, as President, refers to this as commitment of United States funding by the power of the United States Government. He doesn't refer to it as the commitment of U.S. Citizen's generosity. If you find the article, OP title or coverage unfair or dishonest, take it up with the Reuters who carried the story and President Barack Obama, who announced billions more US Dollars leaving this nation at a time of our greatest need.

You keep conflating "US Dollars" "US Investment"...as Gov. Investment...and that is dishonest.

PUHLEESE STOP the BS....Facts before partisanship...here let me google a little...

As part of his commitment to deliver affordable and accessible power to the continent, African business leader Tony O. Elumelu is committing US$2.5 billion to the power sector in Africa. The investment is being made through his pan-African proprietary investment company Heirs Holdings – the single largest investor included in the White House statement announcing the Power Africa initiative.

allafrica.com...

Seven private companies have agreed to invest in improving and expanding the power grid. Those investors include General Electric, which plans to bring 5,000 megawatts online

www.latimes.com...

Symbion Power also is investing in Power Africa

American-based company Symbion Power is blazing through the African continent. Symbion CEO and Chairman of the Corporate Council on Africa, Paul Hinks tells ABN’s Bronwyn Nielsen about the key to unlocking Africa’s potential.

The list goes on and on...

Obama "pledged" funds...the same way your nieghbor running a 10K for cancer "pledges" funds..and then gathers the money from folks.

Now...you can pretend different and scream about how Obama is spending your tax dollars in Africa...and get partisan pats on the back for the dishonesty...or you could back up and acknowledge facts...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Obama "pledged" funds...the same way your nieghbor running a 10K for cancer "pledges" funds.

i think it would be really sweet if he pledged it to me.
Just saying.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Indigo5

Obama "pledged" funds...the same way your nieghbor running a 10K for cancer "pledges" funds.

i think it would be really sweet if he pledged it to me.
Just saying.

It's facilitating private investment of US Businesses in Africa's energy grid.

Now if you want irony...Repeatedly plans for Infrastructure Improvements in the USA...which would bring money to countless business who do the work...have been killed in congress because the GOP feared giving the President any type of economic victory...more jobs...better roads and bridges that don't spontaneously collapse.

That is the effen tragedy...these US Businesses will make money building infrastucture in Africa, but doing the same here in the USA where Americans would have jobs on the ground to boot? Eff that...no way...let bridges crumble as long as THAT man is President...ask the GOP what the problem is.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join