learn more

The Metaphysics of Language

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

The Metaphysics of Language

What is “being” but a word? What is contemplating “being” but thinking about a word?

Underneath all religion and philosophical inquires lies the Faith in Language, the foundation of all metaphysics, the first axiom from which all axioms have arisen. Words, tropes and symbols are our gods. Philosophy, religion and science is our art.

Being, reality, consciousness, the universe, God, nirvana, the moment, time, space, chaos—words, ideas and metaphor—what is this but a faith in grammar, the religion of semantics, and the idolatry of ideals and symbols? Genesis, the Big Bang, the soul, karma, fortune, infinity, truth—everything we call supernatural or are superstitious towards are words and words and words, nothing besides. Anti-climactic? Maybe.

What does “is”, “am”, “are”, “do” and “does” mean? These terms are only capable of implying something but explaining nothing. “Being” is giving names to things, defining whatever we wish to define. Language, thinking geometrically, perhaps a universal grammar—this is the extent of the tetragrammaton, God, the word, the alpha and omega, A to Z. This is its boundary, infinite not in size, knowledge or power, but in possibility. Beyond the ability to say whether something “is” or “is not”, beyond this foundation, is ineffability and chaos—where stars are born, and especially, where creativity is born.

Observe what we pray to, my friends, what we call on when we’re weak or desiring. Propositions, arguments and premises. Statements, theory and hypotheses. Hopes, ideals and desires. The worship of assertions and assumptions. When one studies a bible she study an expression of another; when one prays to a statue she prays to an expression of another; when one reads philosophy she reads the expressions of another; when one follows a prophet she follows the expressions of another. In the end, we follow humans more creative than we: artists, creators and masters of expression: another's language. Interpreter vs. the Reader. Teacher vs. Student.

Depressing? Not in the least. How can “truth” be depressing? If anything, realizing that whomever might be great was only great through how they expressed themselves, and not how supernatural they were, is fully emancipating. This leaves the opportunity for greatness in everyone’s hands. We too are the creators. Our language is there, with us at all times, and faithful to it we always are. Our own personal culture is an expression of nature herself, and in that there is a purpose.

To interpret and create from the experience of human vitality is what our greatest teachers had in common. Zarathustra, Plato, Confucius, Aristotle, Buddha, Spinoza, Jesus, Da Vinci, Newton, Galileo, Einstein—all masters of articulating their experience, interpreters, expressing themselves, explaining themselves, eventually setting into motion the thoughts of entire continents, and achieving immortality in the afterlife of the language and culture they created. True metaphysicians. True artists.

Language isn’t merely a communicative tool, but the setting of thought into stone to make it tangible for all to see. In it we find our comforts and hopes. It is religion, mathematics, science and history. It is your Gods, laws, and declarations. It is art, spontaneous creativity, and chaos into order, available and necessary to everyone.

Thank you for reading more words,

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Bloody brilliant, as always. I find that imagination tends to be curbed by the language we use, the ideas we are allowed to express. The less our comprehension evolves, the less we are able to effectively imagine.
edit on 29-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Good observation,
especially since the majority of our mental processes are accompanied by linguistic feedback - though add to this the convolutions of our (english) language alone (i.e. night/knight - and every other grammatical cross-syntactical modification) and its apparent that language is secondary.
that is, it is said
"the word is not the thing"...and in the beginning was not the word, but the idea to be expressly made manifest.
and they also say, "mind-chatter", so it is good to observe how much this 'chatter' frames our reference (a lot) when living in mind-less, rather than mind-ful conditions~

LOVE

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I personally find that language can have a very 'limiting' effect on people, especially when it comes to labels or names. One gives something, or (more than likely themselves) a label and more often than not they are bound by the definition of that label.

An example might include the person who declares "i am gay" and often this becomes (at least initially) their entire identity. The gay guy.... 'I am black/white, I'm a mom', i'm a man', 'I'm just a kid' all very similar scenario's. The act of labeling things seems rife in mental health as well. "Okay well you're bipolar so you should take these pills".

"That's just a tree" "Don't worry its only an animal" etc etc are all other limiting examples of labeling and language as a whole. it can also have a dehumanizing effect especially when applied to large groups, and can in turn lead to stereotyping and racism.

(if this post makes no sense sorry its 2am and I'm just off a 12 hour shift)

I am just a worker...

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
When a word is spoken it displaces air molecules in a certain pattern. These patterns are consistent upon the word spoken. Brain activity is consistent with the cause of the word and to be clear. This affects all matter created at the same time and related to EPR Paradox and Bells theorem.

To be clear a word spoken altogether has a Quantum effect.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Language really needs a complete overhaul. It's been ages since Latin and even a longer time since the first Oohs and Aahs to refer to eating a banana. We need new symbols with expanded meanings, we need little devices people can carry around with led lights in different colors because sound is only half of what can be used to communicate.

Then we need to have one big database with the new language in it, have a touchpad to press symbols which are then translated into lights and hook it all up to an Emotiv or other brain wave reader and we can save tonnes of time and frustrations when we misunderstand eachother. In a few generations people could express a message in seconds rather than hours.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
When a word is spoken it displaces air molecules in a certain pattern. These patterns are consistent upon the word spoken. Brain activity is consistent with the cause of the word and to be clear. This affects all matter created at the same time and related to EPR Paradox and Bells theorem.

To be clear a word spoken altogether has a Quantum effect.

Any thoughts?

There is always a slight delay, it takes milliseconds to form a thought, then follows the translation by the brain into movements of the body, then the throat is actually moved and then sound travels at 340 m/s from the source to the listeners ears, after which that brain has to translate what has just been said and form a thought as a reaction to it. So it's never at the same time, everyone sees everyone else in the past sort to say, never in the true present moment. To be in the true present is where physics end and the spiritual/occult begins.
edit on 1/7/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Language isn’t merely a communicative tool, but the setting of thought into stone to make it tangible for all to see.

Sometimes it is. But other times, the reader must interpret words. There is a vast and liminal no-mans land between the signifier and the signified that interpretation must bridge. And interpretation, or hermeneutics, is a tricky thing. The archetype of the trickster prowls the spaces between words... spaces where we must go.

Form, thought, words, and images are eventually left behind by the mystic as he climbs the mountain. Like the lower rungs of a ladder.

edit on 1-7-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

What is “being” but a word? What is contemplating “being” but thinking about a word?

To be or not to be?

'Being' is existence existing - what is that?

edit on 1-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I remember the moment that I fully realized that expression is so much more transformative than any other form of physical impact that someone can have on the world. It was stunning, to say the least. Wonderful OP. Let the kids play with the guns, swords, sticks and stones. The men will build the future of mankind with words.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

What does “is”, “am”, “are”, “do” and “does” mean?

What does 'mean' mean?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

I am speaking of the events themselves and the reaction to surroundings on a quantum scale. As far your referent to moments how the apply? All the factors you so eloquently expressed are like throwing a rock into a puddle at a quantum scale.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Kashai because: Modifed content

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I almost shed a tear reading that. Almost.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I enjoy your posts, Mis, always.

This point of view reminds me of a disagreement my stepfather and I have concerning the pathways of thought.
He feels that we use language first and translate that to experience, I feel it is the opposite direction.

We considered the example of someone who says, "I want to eat an apple".

His assertion is that a split second of various associations in thought (it is 3 PM, haven't eaten since 12, and one should eat now, a healthy snack is best.... apple is a good choice) can possibly stir up sensual memories of apples, of what an apple looks like. But it started with the words.

For me, I register an experience happening in my body, and flashes of sensual memory appear in mind- of an object, with a color, and taste memory fills my mouth, and memory of a certain texture between my teeth...
Then I search for the words to express this experience I am having inside- I find "hunger" and "desire" and "apple". Using these vehicles, I can begin the process of externalizing my internal experiences- I can say to someone, "I am hungry! I want an apple!" -and have one.

For years I have brought up this question to others, asking them to examine the process that happens within them and tell me, which comes first? The experience or the word?

A funny thing so far is that everyone who has answered that it begins with word, has been male. Everyone who has said the opposite has been female.

I sometimes observe that those who feel sensual experience comes before intellectual labeling with words are people who, like me, are rather instinctual and spontaneous. That would make sense, anyway.

Perhaps we just don't all work the same. That would also explain the huge misunderstanding I observe when people begin to talk of metaphysics or "spiritual" topics- where some just absolutely cannot grasp that a person can have a spiritual experience, and then search for the words to express that after- They think that only a person already familiar with the concept of reincarnation or Akashic records, could have had any sort of metaphysical experience of it. The intellectual concept has to come first for the internal experience to happen.

But that isn't true for other people, who have experiences they have no words for, but that are extraordinary and meaningful for them, and they then go looking for the language to express them.

It is like some directions of consciousness travel from subconscious to self conscious, and others travel the other direction- from self conscious to subconscious. From head to body or body to head.

^ or v

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
reply to post by Dragonfly79

I am speaking of the events themselves and the reaction to surroundings on a quantum scale. As far your referent to moments how the apply? All the factors you so eloquently expressed are like throwing a rock into a puddle at a quantum scale.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Kashai because: Modifed content

Thank you for sharing an insight into the inner workings of your mind. Your point other than your belief is true and mine isn't would be?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing an insight into the inner workings of your mind. Your point other than your belief is true and mine isn't would be?

I feel the issue of what effect our non-random activity has upon the quantum scale fascinating and a valid research issue.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Nice word art there.

It seems we are frequently along the same lines, as you seem to come up with these topics are rather pertinent times.

For all intents and purposes, the individuality between perspectives seems to be multi-versal almost in and of itself. We interact and communicate with movements and vibrations through the medium of space and time. I think we have two simplified ways to communicate through emotion and logic, and that is through words and math.

It seems that if we start include other forms of movement and vibrations as communication, it has some interesting implications

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

To summarize, I was trying to imply that language is language; that expression, art, creation, culture, style, religion, science, mathematics, are all forms of language in its many facets. Metaphysics is "Metaphysics", expressing the world and our relationship with it in various forms of language, for creativities sake.

I am in agreement with you and those of apparently female gender when you say experience before the word. I am sensual to the core. I love to live, see, smell, feel and hear. Words, to me, are an expression of that and all I've tasted and touched. However, language itself, which is still ill-defined to this day (see Chomsky), may in fact have biological implications. Language may have emerged from nature herself. Biolinguists say there may be a single cycle that exists, something like the fibonacci sequence, compelling both cognition and language. Sounds mystical; but if this is true, maybe "the word" does come first? Nonetheless, linguistics should become very interesting within the next 50 years.

And yes we don't all work the same—we lead different lives—but then again, perhaps we do work the same, except we explain it differently.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

To be or not to be?

It's called "word salad".

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Itisnowagain

To be or not to be?

It's called "word salad".

Contemplating 'being' is not contemplating a word - it is all about realizing what I am..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join