It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who keeps closing my bedroom door?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
thanks for posting your story....someone suggested a doorjam, but if you don't want to do that and are still observing...I thought maybe you can keep a small flashlight by your bed for the nighttime travel to the bathroom so you don't bump into the door if it is closed..

Hope you get a chance to tape the activity and don't let some posters get you down. glad you checked for possible physical thing that could cause this, good to eliminate those first!

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I don't want to sound cliché but it's an old house and while this isn't always the case, maybe it really is just settling into it's foundation. My house is 35 years old and doing that and it's not uncommon to see a door creep open on it's own or close. While I am a Christian, I am not going to leap to the worst case scenario to a demonic haunting. If you are a person of the faith you will know it is an invasive intrusion into your home when the energy changes and feels malevolent.

I don't think it should cause you any worry until you start hearing invisible footsteps in your home, or something invisible sitting on your bed or objects being thrown at you. Whatever the case it's important for you not to be afraid, it is your home and you are queen of the castle.

After lying in bed wondering what is wrong with this door – I then heard our doorbell. It was not the clarity with which I would normally hear our doorbell, but something along the lines of being in the distance or muffled

I had this happen once. I was in my computer room and thought I heard my doorbell but muffled. Turns out the thing did ring but it only rang once. When I spoke to my neighbor later he said he came over and rang the bell 4 times and no one answered, but I only heard it once. The only explanation I could come up with was there was a short somewhere, it hasn't happened since.
edit on 30-6-2013 by BlackGetsuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rochester

Prop the door open and see what happens.

my grandmother lived in a very old house that had those huge keyholes and smalll funky door nobs... the door used to close on its own too! I used a brick to prop it open and the brick was never so the door could close. To solve my problem i just put a door stop on it.

try it

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rochester
reply to post by hotel1

Thank You,

I really only wanted advice on what could be creating this and why all of a sudden this happened this past week.

As I said in the OP - the only "spirit" i have ever known to close doors is my Father shortly after he died - and that did not happen in my house - it happened in his when I was staying in his house.

I can't explain why this started this week and was only looking for guidance from the community.

I suppose I will never know, as is the case with many mysteries in my house.

Best to you,

Rochester

I grew up in a family where this sort of thing was considered standard operating procedure for any departed souls (look up Lily Dale NY for more about this);

Since you said your father once communicated like this with you, next time the door opens or the doorbell rings, you might just try asking out loud, 'daddy is that you?' If he gives you a sign let him know you've heard him and he can go on about his business now. Since you're not getting anything malevolent coming across, it's likely a friend or family member. If you've lost anyone else lately, try their names also.

This is okay, really. It's a good thing and a wonderful message once all the other possible explanations have been ruled out.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Hi there, have you done any research on the area around your house and on the house itself? Maybe an event or something occurred there at this time of the year, maybe residual energy of an event, or has anyone you were close to passed away at this time of the year, could be their spirit calling in and paying you a friendly visit to say 'hi' let you know they're still there with you.

I also thought it could be subsidence of the land beneath the house, but then I read where you had physically opened the door and it then stayed open all night, so that theory might not hold water. I hope you do find out the cause and hope it's something which can be easily fixed.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I admit I read 2 pages and decided to reply. So forgive me if this has been suggested.

Is it possible there could be some kind of indiscernible seismic activity? A tiny quake? Those old doors can be heavy, which could possibly add enough momentum to swing if there was a slight shift or nudge. I am in Missouri. We have small earthquakes occasionally. But I don't usually feel them. Last time we had one, I noticed it because it rattled our big, heavy front door, and its metal mail slot.

Although, It does sound a lot like typical poltergeist activity. Like it's messin' with you, playfully. If it starts to pick up and get more active and/or aggressive, you might start looking for a new place!

Or, what's to say it's not your father, since he visited you in the past? Maybe you still have that connection. I have heard many friends over recent years discussing how they believed loved ones continued to communicate with them after death. And they usually have a particular object or scent that is a sign that is used by that person. I've heard butterflies or moths, pennies or dimes in curious places, a specific number or scent. Do you have any specific memories of your father, related to doors? Such as, did he check on you at night as a child, and close your door?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Reading through your words; you are a sweet lady 'Rochester'

As for the activity taking place in your home.. I understand WHY people "beat around the bush" when it comes to the ghost/spirit aspect of reality - but when you consider this - when its your turn to leave this planet behind, where the body you have inhabited for decades, does not function like it once did and cannot support your life force any longer - where do you go?

Understanding that dear spirits are TRAPPED inbetween "here and there" - is a sympathetic understanding for the individual who once walked this plane as you, the readers and I do now. It is important to accept and try to comprehend this aspect of reality - the spirit consciousness that lives within the body, the one that "You" identitfy YOU with.

This realization and acceptance will allow you to feel more peace in your heart at the noises, oddities, sights, and physical objects (matter) moving. A sweet and strong lady as yourself needs nothing more then peace and love within your chest and mind

I am only saving you time; as I do not play the "i dont know" game, anymore. I have grown past that point in many aspects of this reality, I, as many here, have experienced much more..."paranormal" (to put it lightly) things - which has given myself as an indiviudal human the confirmation I need (over years I may add), and more peace with accepting things are not just "solid, liquid, gas" or.. Dense, physical matter.

You are wise 'Rochester', you understand everything I am saying to you

Do take care, and allow peace in your heart. If things get a bit more.."personal" - you are always well U2U me (message) and I can guide or help you in anyways possible.

I wish you well, and hope this spirit entity will respect what you wish. Sometimes another entity will make itself more known or noticeable because it NEEDS help or guidance.

Take care

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
you keep believing in ghosts, ill believe in deliberate time shifted somethings. I talked to what my friends thought was a ghost taking objects from their basement and putting them back by request. It said it wasnt a ghost and that i knew what it was.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
There's been some good debunking theories posted here that I absolutely think should be followed up on. However, most of them seem moot considering that you've been living in that house for as long as you have. After several years, you just get to know your house and its idiosyncrasies.

The fact that the door is only gently closing itself- fully- at night, there has to be the question; anything new going on around the house and nearby at night time?

I've also got a suggestion; if at all possible, install a soft night-light either inside or outside of your room near the door. At least that way you're less likely to walk face-first into the door if it unexpectedly closes sometime during the night.
I keep night-lights around key points of my house so I don't bump into things or fall down the stairs and kill myself when I need to get up during the night.

Now to possibly debunk some of the debunking, if only to rule things out and focus on other, more likely possibilities.
Seismic activity / geological changes seem like good ideas, but I'd question why nothing else in the house is being effected except that one door, and only at night.
A new hole/crack in the roof or walls leads to the same question; why only at night?
Door hinges wearing down would, I think, be more gradual, not leading to a fully closed door every time right away.
Door / door frame / wall trauma seems possible, only you and your husband would know if that's happened recently.
Humidity / moisture issues, I'm a little more skeptical of, I'd think other things in the house would be effected, but has it been especially humid this summer, more than normal?
Is your room on the top floor, is there an attic space above? Nocturnal critters roaming about at night seems a bit more plausible- though I'd wonder why, after all this time, they'd only show up now.
New animal / insect damage to structure?

If all the 'normal' explanations have been ruled out, it sounds like it could be residual energy. The male voice and the muffled doorbell could be evidence of this.
Objects, houses and land can get imprinted over the years. During traumatic events or things that happen habitually can happen again years later for seemingly no reason. Echoes from the past. Sometimes it just gets triggered by something or another. Have any recent changes been made to the house or near the house?

There's also another thing to try, even if you feel silly doing it, is to say (either out loud or 'aloud' in your mind), that 'you'd prefer to have this door stay open, please. Could you stop closing it?' Can't hurt.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

My recommendation is to ignore it. The more attention you pay to it, the more stuff will likely happen. It's OK to acknowledge it in your our mind, but don't otherwise give it attention (like trying to record it). If it is paranormal, all your doing is giving "it" more energy to act out. You can acknowledge it by asking it to stop doing what its doing if it really bothers you but any more than that, I'd advise against (don't try to record it, no Ouija boards, anything like that). Chances are if you've been there for a while and this is just starting to happen, it's been around for a long time and its just now starting to mess with you. Maybe something has changed in it's environment to cause this. One may never know. Bottom line is don't give anything it can use against you and I don't mean negatively. This doesn't sound too malicious. Leave as so.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
My Paranormal Emergency Plan:
Before I start with my brilliant plan. Let me applaude your bravery after that first door closing incedent.
Now for the PLAN:
1. Door opens by itself repeatedly, even experimenting to find "natural" plain.
2. Immediately after figuring out that someone other than your husband was in your house playing Donald Trump, quickly,but calmly call The Howard Johnsons on route 35 for an extended stay with one of your kids.
3. Supplies; alcohol, lots of it. Comfort food. A cross and Pastor, Priest or Rabi on speed dial.
4. When Hubby gets home, call before said religious authority figures for a cleansing.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackGetsuga

I have had on two separate occasions, people sit on the corner of my bed. The first was at my Father's house about 9 months after he died, the second was at my house a few years later.

Thanks,
Rochester

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Thanks to all that continue to reply.

I can report that after having set up a cam in the room, the door has stayed open.

I did on Saturday night tell whomever it is - "Look would you please stop closing the door - I'm tired of walking into it. If you want to give me a message - write it on the mirror."

Nothing happened again last night (Sunday).

I also called my Mother to see if any activity has been going on in their house - she reported nothing.

I know at this point, it's not an issue of door hinges, leveling, or any other construction problems. It is also not earthquake tremors, helicopters flying by (they tend to shake the windows), nor is it my a/c in the room.

I very much appreciate everyone's input.

If the activity starts again, I will update this thread.

For now, it seems the door will behave.

Best to all,
Rochester

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I've had a few experiences like this in my life. The first one I can recall was when I was around 7 years old. I had a model of an airplane on my nightstand next to my bed. I remember laying under my covers feeling afraid...like something was in my room. I just stared at the model airplane trying not to think of anything else. Suddenly the propeller on the model spun quickly. I shut my eyes in fear.

When I was a teenager at the same house, in the same room I had another experience. I had mini-blinds on my bedroom window. I liked them open during the day and closed at night so nobody outside could see in my room. I always made sure they were closed before going to bed. I started noticing the blinds would be open (turned open, not lifted) when I woke up in the morning. For several days I noticed this, but I assumed my mother was coming into my room before I awoke and opening them. One day I asked my mom about this. She claimed she had never done that. My father also said he did not do it. There was nobody else living at my house and I'm not a sleep walker.

I'm 34 now, but I still remember those instances like it was yesterday.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I had this happen many times at my house, its most likely air pressure or wind, pulling the door close. Now! if the door unlocked itself and then open and then closed itself. If you see the nob on the door start turning or shaking, or you try to close the door or keep hold the door down, and is pushed by and unseen force....then i start to worry.

This door opening story reminds me of the paranormal witness episode where the man of the house was upset that the ghost kept trying to open the door to the dinning room while they were having dinner and he started taunting the ghost and he took a rope and physically tied the door knob against a chair so it would stay shut. That pissed off the ghost and the ghost started violent pushing the door while the door knob was tied.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
thanks for the update!, I would have tried to tape it first, but, oh well, let us know if anything else happens!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

Your point is well taken

Yes, I should have set up the cam before asking it not to sabotage me in the middle of the night.

Rochester
edit on 1-7-2013 by Rochester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
sounds to me your just psyching yourself out. if the only activity is just a door closing, i really don't think its a haunting. Usually the signs of hauntings are multiple things. If the activity is just concentrated on the door closing, i doubt its a haunting.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Its definitely a ghost in your house and its special and so are you

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
have you ever felt a presence related to your computer? anyone had any cybernatural experiences? this is my only experience with haunting

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join