It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who keeps closing my bedroom door?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Just thought you would like to know that my office door has just closed itself, and yes the old place I work in is reputedly haunted.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Believe me Hotel1 - I am the first to discount and/or debunk paranormal activity. I've been to all the famous "hot spots" across the country ghost hunting and have never found anything slightly paranormal.

The door on my bedroom is the same as it has been the last 18 years. Nothing has changed in our home to create a sloping issue with the door. Only this week did it decide to start closing on it's own.

My husband (an engineer) and I have discussed this at length and we can find no reason why this would be happening now. The house has not settled or moved, the door is unchanged.

Basically, it's just a weird thing that has started to happen and we don't know why.

Personally, I'm tired of walking face first into it in the middle of the night.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmikeS
How long have you been married? my old(century) house had issues with doors randomly closing also, installed alarm system on the house (NOT ADT, A locAl company] the doors were set to chime on motion[front & back] , but sometimes still hearing the doors chiming, and rushing downstairs only to find nothing .

Hello,

I'm not sure what the length of my marriage has to do with this. I've been married as long as I've been in this house. The marriage was prior to the purchase of the house.

Could you explain why you ask?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

OK- now you're just shinning me on.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I completely understand and I am not trying to arrogantly suggest that there will be a logical explanation for what is happening as I am fully aware of the fact that I do not have the answer to everything that happens. The methodology of elimination seems to be soundest one you can take in these situations.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rochester
reply to post by hotel1

OK- now you're just shinning me on.

No honestly it really did just close itself spooky coincidence huh.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'm really sorry I even started this thread.

So many asinine responses - I give up.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Rochester

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Rochester

Just a final point then for a laugh.....
That guy in your profile pic looks pretty handy with a door.........

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rochester

A door located in a corner can only swing 90 degrees before it hits the adjacent wall, a quarter-circle swing. A door located in the middle of wall (or swinging away from an adjacent wall) can swing 180 degrees, a half-circle swing.

For a 180 degree swing door, the initial force that starts the door moving MUST point into the room otherwise the door will be pinned against the wall and never move. If the force points into the room, then as soon as the door swings past the misalignment force it should slow and stop before fully closing (excluding inertia effects).

Another possibility is hinges worn at an angle causing the door to drop slightly from the fully open to fully closed position. This is common in old houses because doors are half-opened more often that fully opening creating angled hinge wear.

I live in a >130 year old house too and misaligned doors tend to always swing to a partially closed position and never swing from full open to full closed. Except for my rear door that behaves differently when water logged from heavy rains, all my doors (and cabinets) continue misbehaving in the identical manner they have for decades.

It is hard to say what you are experiencing; nevertheless, if the cause is something more unusual than misaligned doors or worn hinges, the Casimir-Polder effect is a possibility. Because the surface area of a door is very large, only a small change in the quantum fluctuations on one side is needed to swing the door. Reports of "Door Knob Rattlers" go back 100's of years and Casimir-Polder forces is the only reasonable explanation after excluding a hoax.

Only in the movies will doors in haunted houses swing wildly open and closed. All the real life cases I have investigated exactly match what you describe.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It is incredibly unfortunate for those of us in the Paranormal Forum to post real events that we have witnessed only to be met with ridicule and jokes.

I brought forth my story in hopes that someone here could offer some sort of confirmation that this has happened to them before, or that they knew of someone this has happened to.

I am not expressly stating I believe this to be "ghostly activity" - although having excluded any reasonable explanation - unfortunately, paranormal is all that I am left with.

I'm happy that so many of you found this amusing and that some of you were brazen enough to post condescending and juvenile comments simply for the pleasure of having yourselves a laugh.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Rochester

Don't give up, you are bound to get some people responding to you in a jocular fashion on this forum. My office door really did just close itself and as I say this place is supposedly haunted and plenty of people claim to have seen various earthbound spirits or whatever you wish to call them. Those here who claim to have seen something out of the ordinary get ridicule and understanding in roughly equal amounts. So don't let lighthearted or indeed ignorant responses deflect you, on this site some mysteries are solved and some never are. Keep going.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DrZrD

Thank you for the explanation.

My door is not swinging wildly closed. It is a slow steady motion to close. The door is such that it requires a 180 degree swing to close completely. All the doors in the house have some sort of tendency to close on their own - it is the nature of a century house - which is why I have doorstops to prevent this. This is the first time this particular door has displayed this type of behavior.

I will look up Casimir-Polder to find out if this effect may be the cause of the problem.

Many thanks,

Rochester

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Thank you but I believe I feel more comfortable with simply reading and responding occasionally to posts rather than to be made light of for some sense of others amusement.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

yes.. I have.. here's my ongoing thread of strange stuff over the last few years..
link

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Thanks Komodo,

Our activity comes and goes depending on what's going on in the house. We have had things disappear, only our items do not reappear. Good for your wife and the bobbins.

Our house has been quiet since 2004 and this is the first time I've had a door close by itself repeatedly.

Hopefully tomorrow when the husband returns, we can install a video camera to catch the door closing. The husband does not doubt what I am seeing, he wants to find out if when the door is being closed - if we are able to catch something on video that could explain it.

I will post video when I have it. Hopefully, the trolls will leave me alone at that point and I can have a serious discussion about what is happening.

Respect,
Rochester
edit on 29-6-2013 by Rochester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Seems like you just want it to be ghosts. The door could have gained some extra weight through moisture retention. Have you checked the hinges are level? Is there a similar chronological pattern to the door movements?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by EA006

Seems like you just want it to be ghosts. The door could have gained some extra weight through moisture retention. Have you checked the hinges are level? Is there a similar chronological pattern to the door movements?

Against my better judgement, I am replying to your response. If for no other reason than to make my post the last in the thread instead of yours.

If you had read my previous posts, you would understand that I do not automatically assume Ghosts when anything unusual happens in my house - or anywhere I happen to be.

To answer your question, the door in question happens to be in a controlled environment and has not moved in the last 18 years. The suggestion that extra moisture has caused this to happen is invalid as this has not happened in any of the years I have been here. Indeed, my husband and I investigated this possibility earlier and determined that it could not be a factor as many years past we have had weather fluctuations more severe than this year and none have given rise to the door operating on its own.

Our hinges are level and have been since we reinstalled the door in 1995. There has been no activity with this door in the 18 years I have lived in this home.

There are no other incidents of doors acting peculiar until this week. Only my bedroom door, and only from Wednesday until current.

In addition, this would not explain why the door only closes later in the evening/nighttime as opposed to performing the maneuver during the daylight hours. The conditions in the room do not change and the door does not close during the daytime.

And, please, if you would like to respond to this, spare me the jokes.

Sincerely,
Rochester

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Get a camera setup going as you where stating,

also someone was mentioning something too block the door- Try this temporary.

Try something to not excessively provoke, like as i would't go as far shouting out ;

Im interested in all what your saying- and as your beliefs i don't know where your direction stands,

there is many tools we could start discussing about- first though let's see if you can capture or possibly stir your tuition in the right, your aware, See what and why it is they are needing you suddenly - as though they are starting to play games with you =P (Children possible?)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
How bad does the door want to open/close?

Have you tried a doorstop? Or does it push that out of the way? Or cause some other reaction?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I live in an o,d house too and have had strange things happen. Given that you have a recent death in your family it might help to try to look at it from that angle. Maybe think of him before you go to sleep to see if you dream about the answer.

I say this because a really good friend of mine died about 2 years ago. I didn't know he had until 2 days after his actual passing. I had a dream about him (I rarely remember my dreams and it was very clear). The night previous to this dream I was home alone with the tv on. It was probably after midnight and I could swear I saw someone in my kitchen. I got up and turned on all the lights but no one was there. I'm aware of tricks of the eye and my creepy house so I don't get up and seriously search unless I'm troubled by something. Anyway, the next night I had this dream and he said "what we talked about...it's true".

The following day my nephew came to my house and told me his grandpa had died (my very good friend). I immediately remembered the dream and later that night the kitchen incident. He had been dead for 2 days before being found.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join