It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Purest form of Christianity, was Eastern Orthodoxy, the Desert Fathers, Monks, Hermits, & Mystic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

Still you speak truth but what a hard form of Christianity to follow.

Jesus said his yoke is easy. The thief on the cross believed that day, and was saved. Others are householders and try their best. And a few go into monasteries and work on themselves for decades in hard core practice.

What sets "The Way" apart from other ways, is that it is a Path of Grace. It is impossible to follow Christ and try to be like him ourselves. Once the Spirit indwells you with Mystical grace and ego death, it all becomes so simple. Surrender, let go, meditate, and have less "I" & "Me" in your life ...and eventually you are changed

reply to post by Deetermined

The "purest form of Christianity" was the one that ditched all of the pagan practices and did what God/Jesus told them to do. God boldly prohibited divination and mysticism

divination & mysticism are like apples and walnuts:

mys·ti·cism (mst-szm)
n.
a. Immediate consciousness of the transcendent or ultimate reality or God.
b. The experience of such communion as described by mystics.
2. A belief in the existence of realities beyond perceptual or intellectual apprehension that are central to being and directly accessible by subjective experience.

If you think Jesus operated in the same limited consciousness and understanding as you, or any other average Joe, you're in for a surprise.

He clearly said, "I and the Father are One." That Oneness with the Father is a direct experience. Other Saints throughout history have shared in this experience and Jesus even prays that he wants all of us to be/experience being One with the Father, as he is.

Plus when you get the Holy Spirit, by default you will have Mystical experiences. If the service & denomination you attend is a watered down combo of book reading & emotional high's, which lacks experiential ego death and Holy Spirit Indwelling ....may want to find a new place to worship

On top of that, "pagan" & "cult" are relative. An Agnostic or Atheist will look at Christianity and see a "cult" w/ "pagan" practices of water baptism, eating the flesh and drinking the blood of a savior figure.
edit on 30-6-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Excellent thread, Dominicus. I have much enjoyed reading your posts and am glad that you have taken the time to write and post here.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

What is your definition of the Kingdom of God?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

That's what I am preaching, things that have been revealed to me through the Spirit. The things that are prior to the ego and how the ego can die.

You've been deceived into thinking your ego died when in reality, you just replaced it with a more puffed up version through your visions and experiences, just like the ones in the Old Testament.

Many Christian mystics opt for the second option - church traditions. They find that mystics and their practices existed from the very early days of church history. It is surprising that contemporary evangelicals sometimes cite Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions to justify their practices. But many do. They usually try to also find Biblical support, but such support cannot be found without twisting the Scriptures.

I believe that Scripture alone determines the valid means of coming to God. The Scripture reveals one obvious restriction: “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me’” (John 14:6). The Bible not only reveals the only way to salvation, but it also provides the means of grace for living the Christian life. God does not leave this up to man’s ingenuity. He has not left us to sift through the religious practices of the cultures of the world in order to choose which ones to “Christianize.” Those who do are modern day Jeroboams who will not grant to God the right to tell them how God will be worshipped.

cicministry.org...

The Bible warned about such things...

Ezekiel 13:6

They have seen vanity and lying divination, saying, The Lord saith: and the Lord hath not sent them: and they have made others to hope that they would confirm the word.

Ezekiel 12:24

24 For there shall be no more any vain vision nor flattering divination within the house of Israel.

Jeremiah 14:14

14 Then the Lord said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.

Ezekiel 21:23

And it shall be unto them as a false divination in their sight, to them that have sworn oaths: but he will call to remembrance the iniquity, that they may be taken.

If you think the "Kingdom of God" is only within and not a physical one coming, you have been deceived by spirits and your own ego for having sought them out in the first place.

The Holy Spirit comes to you on it's own accord. You cannot seek it out to bring you experiences at your whim. It doesn't work that way.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Is it possible that with your attention divided between Catholic and Orthodox, you have missed the best part of early Christianity? How about the Arians? The Copts? The Nestorians? The early British Church? How about the scattered apostolic churches which history has almost forgotten, such as the Waldensians?

There has been precious little genuine Christianity since the Council of Nicaea...

Amen to that! The Council of Nicaea was all about getting rid of the "Jewish" aspects of the faith. They did away with the Feasts of the Lord and took on pagan traditions. It's almost as if they were ashamed the Messiah is Jewish, followed the law, and taught us to do so as well. I don't know much about E.O. and wonder if they keep the Law and the Feasts of the Lord which were to be perpetual.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bybyots
reply to post by Lazarus Short

There has been precious little genuine Christianity since the Council of Nicaea...

That's nonsense. Christ lives in the hearts of mankind. Saying that somehow Christianity died with the Council of Nicaea is an intellectual and academic conceit left over from the late 70's and early 80's.

The problem is that what we are raised to believe is the path / way Yeshua showed us is wrong. So, are you really walking in his steps, being truly one with him in the Father if you don't even understand what his way was? The church has embraced Pauline theology over the words of Yeshua, so yes, the church / body which Yeshua started was well killed at the council of Nicaea.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

The church has embraced Pauline theology over the words of Yeshua, so yes, the church / body which Yeshua started was well killed at the council of Nicaea.

How so? Paul said that grace was given to those who had FAITH, so how is that different from what Jesus said?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

So why am I posting this? Because Western Christianity is a watered down joke based on Catholicism

Catholicism is a watered down joke based on, oh I don't know, EVERY religion that came before it? The source of all Judaeo-Christian religions is Egypt. So basically you're comparing watered down horse piss to bud light. They're both piss, one is just less piss than the other. Who cares?

Seriously, saying that so an so has the purest form of Christianity is like saying they won the gold medal in the special Olympics. They're still retarded.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The problem is that what we are raised to believe is the path / way Yeshua showed us is wrong. So, are you really walking in his steps, being truly one with him in the Father if you don't even understand what his way was? The church has embraced Pauline theology over the words of Yeshua, so yes, the church / body which Yeshua started was well killed at the council of Nicaea.

This is why Aleister Crowley determined that anyone that attempted to interpret The Book of The Law for another should be considered a center of pestilence. I think that Christians might take a cue from Uncle Al.

You are suggesting that somewhere, somehow, to be 'truly one with him in the Father', has been quantified and standardized as some measure that can be met and tested by a 3rd party.

That would very nearly be the definition of litigatious Christianity. Or, maybe take a hint from Matt (6:5-8)...

5: “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

6: But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

7: And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

8: Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

N.I.V.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Bybyots because: .

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

What is your definition of the Kingdom of God?

Which one? The one the soul goes to after the body dies? Or the One that is within you, direct access to Soul, God, Union..... like when Jesus said the Kingdom of Heaven is within you.

You've been deceived into thinking your ego died when in reality, you just replaced it with a more puffed up version through your visions and experiences, just like the ones in the Old Testament.

Yea right!!! Good luck w/ that one. There is only Love & Understanding here. After I got the Spirit, I returned to how I was as a Child, just Aware/Observing. Only added to that was a distinct separation from the ego and seeing that it is not me. Yes it is used to form sentences, however it is not me. In fact I can see it arising and falling away, see what it's source is, the whole subconscious structure...... Do you see this in yourself? The Planck? Deceived is then relative....

Many Christian mystics opt for the second option - church traditions. They find that mystics and their practices existed from the very early days of church history. It is surprising that contemporary evangelicals sometimes cite Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions to justify their practices. But many do. They usually try to also find Biblical support, but such support cannot be found without twisting the Scriptures.

You found a westernized dogma-fundie site which lacks the Mystical experiences of the Holy Spirit and therefore has set up an attack and apollogetics based on logic/reason. The Christian Mystic also has scripture as apollogetics but also has the added arsenal of direct experience.

The letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth Life. The Bible is not God. It is instructions, comments, blueprints to follow and that's it. Not everything is in there, and what is in there, is Jesus dumbing it down to the masses because they would not comprehend the direct experiences of God unless Jesus used parables.

Scripture is milk for beginners. Direct experience is Meat for those far on the path. They go hand in hand.

I believe that Scripture alone determines the valid means of coming to God. The Scripture reveals one obvious restriction: “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me’” (John 14:6)

When he said this, he was talking to hard-headed Jews stuck in Judaism based on the idea of a blood thirsty god who requires animal sacrifices. Jesus steps to them and tells them forget all your old ways and that of OT, everything is summed up in the Most Important Commandment and getting the Holy Spirit Ego death experience.

Simple!!!! He's a blueprint, example, savior, friend, brother, teacher, etc.... He also waited to get the Holy Spirit after getting Baptized by John and spent time in the Desert becoming victorious over Satan, Ego, Temptation. Blueprints

The Bible warned about such things... Ezekiel 13:6 , Ezekiel 12:24 , Jeremiah 14:14 , Ezekiel 21:23

That's all OT...... Jesus shows up and changes EVERYTHING!!!!!! Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, strength .....and also get the Ego Death, Grace, ad Mystical experiences of the Holy Spirit. That will reveal Union w/ God, selflessness, transcendence, nonjudgment, etc

1 John 2:27: "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you"

If you think the "Kingdom of God" is only within and not a physical one coming, you have been deceived by spirits and your own ego for having sought them out in the first place.

God is physical? The Holy Spirit is physical?

When you go within and find the Kingdom within, you experience the same Oneness with God and Jesus, that Jesus did with the Father. There are quite a number of Saints, Monks, Desert Fathers that experienced being One with the Father.

WHen Jesus says: I and the Father are One" that is a direct experience and he prays we can all have that, share in that, experience that:

John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

When you experience being One with the Father ....it happens within, however the experience is everywhere, within everything, and does not limit itself to some future physical coming. God is here, now, everywhere, in everything, fully accessible if you just tune in to the right station.

Or are you going to limit him now to what you believe he is supposed to be like? Beliefs and thoughts are not the same thing as the real thing

Faith/Belief are only used in the beginning. Once sealed w/ the Spirit, you experience and know that God is real and are living it directly and belief/faith are tossed for direct access

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

You found a westernized dogma-fundie site which lacks the Mystical experiences of the Holy Spirit and therefore has set up an attack and apollogetics based on logic/reason. The Christian Mystic also has scripture as apollogetics but also has the added arsenal of direct experience.

The only problem is that most of you don't know your Bible well enough to know what it says. If you did, you'd notice that these spirits that you talk to don't line up with what scriptures tell us. This should be your first clue.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

That's all OT...... Jesus shows up and changes EVERYTHING!!!!!! Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, strength .....and also get the Ego Death, Grace, ad Mystical experiences of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus didn't say anything about ego death and mystical experiences. He said that he would send the Holy Spirit as a comforter and as the one to remind them of his words and what should be written in scripture.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Faith/Belief are only used in the beginning.

That's how you get led astray. Letting these spirits tell you that everything you want to experience is from God so that you don't need scripture any longer. For those who don't know their scripture, they're in for a rude awakening when the false Christ comes and you fall for him too based on your "experiences" instead of wisdom and knowledge that comes from God through his Word.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Is it possible that with your attention divided between Catholic and Orthodox, you have missed the best part of early Christianity? How about the Arians? The Copts? The Nestorians? The early British Church? How about the scattered apostolic churches which history has almost forgotten, such as the Waldensians?

The Eastern church was not invited to the council of Nicea, had they been things may have been quite different, for one Arius ideas would have been shown to have some serious problems and the sects that now have their roots in arianism may no exist or would be something different.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

"The letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth Life. The Bible is not God. It is instructions, comments, blueprints to follow and that's it. Not everything is in there, and what is in there, is Jesus dumbing it down to the masses because they would not comprehend the direct experiences of God unless Jesus used parables"

A truth can be conveyed by the use of a parable, metaphor or some other illustration where you are showing the person a truth as opposed to just telling something bluntly. This method side-steps the ego of the listener/student.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

The church has embraced Pauline theology over the words of Yeshua, so yes, the church / body which Yeshua started was well killed at the council of Nicaea.

How so? Paul said that grace was given to those who had FAITH, so how is that different from what Jesus said?

To put it simply, Paul preached that there was no law to follow because we are under grace. Paul also taught that none of Yeshua' per-resurrection teachings needed to be followed or taught. Yeshua said to call no man Father except God in heaven and Paul said to call him Father. You can read a great study on it titled, Paul's Gospel vs. Jesus Gospel

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Yeshua said to call no man Father except God in heaven and Paul said to call him Father. You can read a great study on it titled, Paul's Gospel vs. Jesus Gospel.

Yeah, I've heard all of this twisting of scripture before. When God said not to call anyone Father, he was talking in terms of titles like Master, Rabbi, etc., not in the sense that Paul meant it. You all must belong to the same website or something.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The only problem is that most of you don't know your Bible well enough to know what it says.

its all i studied for years!!!! I know NT like back of my hand!!!!

If you did, you'd notice that these spirits that you talk to don't line up with what scriptures tell us. This should be your first clue.

The Spirit that indwelled me, slayed my Ego, and instilled in me Higher Spiritual faculties, The Now, Timelessness, transcendence, Love, Bliss, Nonjudgment and acceptance of all. This Spirit moved through out the house and the rest of my family became aware of it, and then became convinced that since the Spirit is real, so is Jesus, and became Christians. My mother years later would also become indwelled by the Spirit and get the same spiritual gifts and ego death.

Surprisingly, many Pastors/PReachers/Ministers/Theologians/Authors/Speakers did not go through this!!!! Like Blind leading blind

Jesus didn't say anything about ego death and mystical experiences.

Oh yes he did:

The New Birth 1Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews;2this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”3Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Being Born again is Ego death by the Holy Spirit. It is a direct experience. I have gone through it and know a dozen others. It is described as a direct experience in Eastern Orthodoxy, Desert FAthers, Pentacostal (slayed by the Spirit), Southern Baptist friends that I know have gone through it.

One of my best friends became a Xtian, got baptised, was falling asleep one night when the Spirit visited him to Indwell him kill his ego. However his ego feared this experience and he pushed the Spirit away because he was not told about this in "church." I explained to him what is supposed to happen to him and then he prayed and the Spirit returned. This time he let go, the Spirit slayed his ego and he was like a New born baby, just awareness, Love, bliss, gifts of the Spirit, transcendence.....

.....I know many other's who feared the Spirit so much so, that it never returned and they remain struggling with the same issues as usual ...issues that the Spirit experience makes easy to handle.

He said that he would send the Holy Spirit as a comforter and as the one to remind them of his words and what should be written in scripture.

Look up the gifts of the Spirit, look at the miracles the disciples performed after receiving the Spirit, read about Paul saying (Not I, but Christ in me) .......Jesus saying Deny yourself and take up your Cross....the references to Oneness

That's how you get led astray. Letting these spirits tell you that everything you want to experience is from God so that you don't need scripture any longer.

2 Corinthians 3:3 "You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts."

When you get the Holy Spirit, your heart pours out divine Bliss & Selfless Love. It is spontaneously knowing how to act according to the Spirit in any situation without having to go and read your bible to know how to act at any given time. I can sum up the whole Bible in how to act in 1 sentence" Act out of Love, selflessness, caring, generous, sharing, through Ego death, Holy Spirit, Transcendence, and without the worldly programming and filters of the ego." Boom!!!! Simple!!!!

For those who don't know their scripture, they're in for a rude awakening when the false Christ comes and you fall for him too based on your "experiences" instead of wisdom and knowledge that comes from God through his Word.

You should read about some Near Death Experiences. There are descriptions of Christians who because of what they were taught by there denomination, get stuck in the afterlife waiting for the 2nd coming, or falling asleep like what the 7th advantists preach, instead of moving forward into the Heavens...

....who is led astray is relative. IF you were not "born again" experientially .....well I'll just let scripture speak for itself.....although there's always the last minute hope/belief of the thief......

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Dominicus, have you been able to speak with an EO priest concerning this pull? IMHO, I think you're definitely feeling something, I just hope you can get the proper guidance.

Good luck! And God bless you!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I love your post. I've been working on this for 15 years. That sounds like a lot of time to me, but I had a lot to learn. I wish we had as many monasteries here in the US as, say eastern europe or Greece. I would like to go to one to see how it is. My priest says to so see, ... that one will know whether it is right for them or not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join