It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer screen/hurting my eyes/head?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Hey guys, for the last few months (for whatever reason), my computer screen seems to be messing with my eyes and causing bad headaches. This never used to be the case, like I said, until a few months ago, and to my knowledge- there has not been any change in computer settings to cause this..

I've read that quite a few people experience this and I was wondering if anyone has any tips/ideas on how to resolve this, or help it.. Are there particular computer settings that I can change that would help, etc?

Thanks guys!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIceQueen

You could stop using the computer.

But what do I know?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by applesthateatpeople

You could stop using the computer.

But what do I know?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Has anything changed in your environment?
I mean, like anything at all.
New lighting, chair, mouse?...Are you taking enough breaks from the computer?

How are your eyes in general, are you having trouble focusing recently?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

It's quite common actually. You need to let your eyes rest. Closing your eyes for about 20 seconds every 30 minutes will make them stop hurting from the computer screen. Or just take breaks every now and then to give them a rest like go for a walk.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
You should sit away from the screen or check your screen settings to make a dimmer especially if you're sitting in the dark.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Has anything changed in your environment?
I mean, like anything at all.
New lighting, chair, mouse?...Are you taking enough breaks from the computer?

How are your eyes in general, are you having trouble focusing recently?

Nope, nothing has changed.. I'd say that I'm taking the same amount of breaks that I always have, perhaps it isn't enough though, however never caused these problems before unless I was on the computer for a very long time..

My eyes are fine, perfect vision, etc..

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Thanks for answering all my questions!
I know, they are literally a pain, those headaches. I get them sometimes. But for me, it's because I need to take more breaks. I work in IT. And over the years my job has migrated from moving around my workplace, to doing pretty much EVERYTHING remotely. I would get up off my butt and walk to the Servers, or other PC's like I used to, but they are now located hundreds of miles away!
SO, I try to pay attention to my posture, location of my monitors..Any other habits that might cause muscle, or eyestrain. It helps me, if I try to remain conscious of how I am using my computers.

You might try that, if you aren't already..Just see if there are even any minor changes in the way you relate to this thing you spend so much time on.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Take a break or try adjusting the settings on your monitor.

The brightness is obvious but also cut the gamma or the contrast back if you're able to adjust those settings.

edit on 29-6-2013 by ifeelsohigh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Some people need glasses for computer use. You say your eyes are fine, but you don't say you had them checked recently. I would visit the eye doc with this issue.

Also, if you spend lots of time on the computer, you could need more breaks, as the others say. When you take breaks, look at things FAR away, like trees and stuff outside.

Your age may also play a part. As we get older, we become a little far-sighted. My eyesight is 20/20, but I still need glasses for things up close.
It's a result of age.

edit on 6/29/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
You need glasses or upgrades if you have them already.
edit on 29-6-2013 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If nothing has changed around your computer then it could be one of two things, either you need glasses and are not aware of it, or you are staring at the computer screen to long and it is making your eyeballs/head hurt.
A 3rd possibility is dependant on where your computer is located, such as a window. As the sun shifts its position in the sky, the lighting changes over the course of the year, so it could just be you are reacting to light changes from the sun. As you get older these things effect you more and more.
edit on 29-6-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Why don't you check your eyes ? I think you need to wear spectacles

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
If diet and spectacles won't solve it, you may need to reduce brightness and color saturation and contrast of your computer screen.

If that still doesn't solve it, it may be time to upgrade to an LED or LCD-LED computer screen.

If it is caused by the device itself, usually, it's the UV rays or low frequency radio waves it might emit. All types of computer screens does that, save for the latest LED or LCD-LED computer screens.

top topics

join