Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Meat, Energy, Drinks and supplements can equal your DOOM

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

A nutrient found in red meat and added to energy drinks and supplements may crank up people’s risk of heart disease, a new study suggests. Bacteria in the gut digest the nutrient, L-carnitine, and help turn it into an artery-hardening chemical — particularly in meat eaters, researchers report April 7 in Nature Medicine.

The intestinal microbes of vegetarians and vegans didn’t make much of the chemical, even when researchers fed them an 8-ounce sirloin steak.

“I always thought that what I ate mattered, but I never realized that my gut bacteria might matter more,” says biochemist Harry Ischiropoulos of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, who was not involved with the study.

What’s more, high blood levels of the bacterial by-product of L-carnitine, called trimethylamine N-oxide or TMAO, were an “astoundingly good” warning sign of impending heart attack, stroke and death, says study coauthor Stanley Hazen of Cleveland Clinic. A test for TMAO, which will become commercially available this year, could give physicians a new tool for gauging heart disease risk.

Scientists have long known that eating red meat jacks up a person’s chances of developing heart disease, but reliable biomarkers — blood-borne indicators of disease or health — have been hard to find. One way physicians gauge risk is with blood tests for cholesterol, a greasy molecule in meat and other foods, which gums up arteries. But tests for cholesterol and other molecules don’t wholly explain meat’s link to heart disease, Hazen says. “Cholesterol, saturated fat and salt only account for a tiny little piece of the risk.”

Gut bacteria might account for a bit more. Hazen’s team first linked intestinal microbes to heart disease in 2011, when they spotted TMAO in blood collected from people who later suffered heart attacks, had strokes or died (SN Online: 4/7/11).

For the new study, Hazen zeroed in on L-carnitine because the nutrient is structurally similar to a compound that gut microbes can convert to TMAO.

Volunteers — a mix of omnivores, vegetarians and vegans — ate steak and L-carnitine capsules, and then researchers measured TMAO levels in the blood. Only meat eaters could make TMAO from L-carnitine, Hazen’s team found, and they needed their gut bacteria to do it. TMAO production shut down when researchers wiped out volunteers’ intestinal microbes with antibiotics.

L-carnitine passed right through the guts of long-term vegans and vegetarians, leaving their blood practically TMAO-free. When researchers examined volunteers’ stool, they found different groups of bacteria in people who did and didn’t eat meat.

Hazen’s group also found that blood levels of TMAO and L-carnitine could predict heart disease risk, which they learned by collecting blood samples from 2,595 patients and tracking their health for three years.

Hey look I am not about to stop eating meat so let’s not go there. However this has made me think about cutting back some. I used to go through 4 or 5 energy drinks a day work out and take creatine supplements but I wound up getting kidney stones. Oww that hurt. Anyway they made some great observations and as much as I hate to admit it those vegans may be right ( to some degree) I still love my steak. Anyway if I read that correctly this could lead to better testing and I am all for that. I lost my father to stroke so it makes me a bit more wary of it.

Anyway that’s some things to consider next time you look at the Monster drinks or energy bars at the store. BTW don’t shoot the messenger on this one. They are doing more testing on this but the results so far have been pretty solid.

www.sciencenews.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Haven't you guys gotten the memo?

EVERYTHING in this modern age that you smell, touch, eat, or come within a one-mile radius of, gives you cancer and KILLS YOU. Even just THINKING BAD THOUGHTS can give you cancer.

There is nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, and nowhere to be immune from... LIFE IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

EeeeeeEEEeeeeeaaaAAAAAaahhhhhHHHHHHHhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!111111oneone

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

OK thanks I read through that link. I have a hard time with OPs that seem to be blasting the studies with their own ideas. It makes it harder for me to absorb.information.

I am just trying to present the information however everyone is welcome to come to their own conclusion. As for myself I may change my diet some with the red meat intake but energy bars and monster drinks are off my list now. They said further studies are needed but the results look promising.

The main thing I was interested in was the advancement in testing for impending heart disease such as stokes they are doing from this. As I stated in the OP I lost my father to it my grandfather as well so it is something that concerns me.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
And bashing supplements as a whole is misleading .
Supplements can mean crap with caffeine in it ,to vitamin c .

Energy drinks dangerous though,and meat has always allegedly been said to be a factor in mortality .
It's energy drinks with HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP ,that are the issue,and this is just a nonsense study to discredit a suuplement .
The mayo clinic has a study of carnitne ,saying the exact opposite .

www.examiner.com...
edit on 6/29/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It should be noted that not all energy drinks contain L-carnitine.

Start reading your labels, folks. If you don't know what's in something (especially if it's a major component, or something listed in the "proprietary blend" of an energy drink, google it!)

This is something you probably should be doing anyway.
edit on 29-6-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Hi good-food fans.

Glad we eat 99.* % organic !! B-)
Soooooo there is no *?*?*?*ite crap in the ingredient lists !!

And, I come to think of it: I realize that in our freezer, there is
much more fishes than meat !!

AND, those fishes are NOT cultivated, and NOT from the Pacific !!

Blue skies.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Okay I'm not buying this. For one thing L-Cartinine is an amino acid and as I have always been taught it is an "essential amino acid" that is needed to turn fat into energy. Further more L-Cartinine is not a by product of the digestion of meat, it is produced naturally in the liver and kidneys and is stored in muscle tissue and various other tissues throughout the body.

Many people eat meat and never have any health problems from it, people have a genetic disposition for having high cholesterol and artery disease.

For example, I eat beef 5-6 times a week and rarely eat veggies other than spinach and beans and while going through my recent health issues related to my "man parts" I had a complete blood work up and my total cholesterol is 150 with my LDL's at around 100 and HDL's at around 60 and my Blood pressure was 105 over 70.

My mother however hardly ever eats meat, maybe once or twice a week and her cholesterol is sky high, was over 300 when it was checked last and is on a plethora of meds and has extremely high blood pressure. My father was the same way as me, never ate veggies and lived off of meat and was in excellent health and no medications until his sudden death at 90 from an aortic aneurysm.

My aunt whom is an osteopathic/naturopathic Dr explained it to me that it goes back to our genes and the days of our primitive living as hunter gatherers. She said that you have 2 main gene lines when it comes to our ability to eat foods and those are the hunter line and the gatherer line and those that descended from the gatherers can not genetically process meats as well as those that descended from the hunter line. That's why some people can rarely eat meat and end up with severe arterial disease and some people can't live a vegan diet because they will feel ill and lack energy and such.

I know this sounds far fetched but I did do some research on the matter several years ago when she and I were discussing it and there is some information and studies out there that support this.

Carnitine is a substance that helps the body turn fat into energy. Your body makes it in the liver and kidneys and stores it in the skeletal muscles, heart, brain, and sperm.

Usually, your body can make all the carnitine it needs. Some people, however, may not have enough carnitine because their bodies cannot make enough or can’t transport it into tissues so it can be used. Some other conditions, such as angina or intermittent claudication, can also cause low levels of carnitine in the body, as can some medications

Carnitine has been proposed as a treatment for many conditions because it acts as an antioxidant. Antioxidants fight harmful particles in the body known as free radicals, which damage cells and tamper with DNA. Antioxidants can neutralize free radicals and may reduce or help prevent some of the damage they cause.

Some of the conditions carnitine may help treat are serious. Serious diseases and conditions require conventional medical treatment, and you should talk to your health care provider before taking carnitine. For other conditions, such as fatigue or improving athletic performance, carnitine seems safe but may not help much.

Heart Conditions:

Angina -- Some good evidence shows that carnitine can be used along with conventional treatment for stable angina. Several clinical trials show that L-carnitine and propionyl-L-carnitine can help reduce symptoms of angina and improve the ability of people with angina to exercise without chest pain. Do not self-treat chest pain with carnitine, however. See your health care provider for diagnosis and conventional treatment, and take carnitine only under your health care provider's supervision.

Heart attack -- A few studies have found that carnitine may help when used with conventional medicines after a heart attack, but not all studies agree. Some small studies suggest that people who take L-carnitine supplements soon after a heart attack may be less likely to have another heart attack, die of heart disease, have chest pain and abnormal heart rhythms, or develop heart failure. However, other studies have shown no benefit. Treatment with oral carnitine may also improve muscle weakness. Carnitine should be used along with conventional medication under your health care provider supervision.

Heart failure -- A few small studies have suggested that carnitine (usually propionyl-L-carnitine) can help reduce symptoms of heart failure and improve exercise capacity in people with heart failure. However, more and larger studies are needed to know for sure.

University of Maryland Medical Center

Perhaps the researches should concentrate their research on the bacteria that is destroying an essential enzyme that is required to properly break down the meat that's being eaten. Maybe that's why the people studied had high cholesterol and arterial plaque, the enzyme they need to break down the proteins in the meat is being destroyed and therefore the proteins are not being properly broken down.

edit on 29-6-2013 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

top topics

join