It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATTN Firearm owners or potential owners! Create a LOG BOOK!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I tried searching for information regarding this particular form of archiving, and it must be either taboo, or non-existant. There are people who mentioned this type of thing, but no thread to guide others.

So I'll go ahead and make one.

Extremely simple concept here that alot of citizens already know about but newcomers should try.
Whenever you purchase a firearm or rather anything of value, there is proof of your purchase in a form of receipt, credit card bill, or even a serial number. Companies, or Corporations, use serial numbers specifically to track their own sales and under UCC law are required to make sure the serial numbers have been recorded upon initial purchase. After the item has been exchanged a few times, those initial records could be lost, damaged or even worse...stolen. So what do you do if your item gets mixed up, or worse stolen?

This is the idea, and here's your project:

Create a log book

Write down every firearm purchase you've made and still own, not the $$$ value but the SERIAL NUMBER. If you want to have everything appraised and valued, that's another thread and time, but for now just create a log of every type of firearm and weapon you deem of personal value. Find the serial number stamped into the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm and be specific. Copy it down with the make, model and any blemishes. It doesn't have to be a fancy book, either. Just use a simple notepad and pencil. Read that again, notepad and pencil. If you keep information on a computer than copy it down to paper. NO ONE HAS TO KNOW IT EXISTS BUT YOU...and maybe your loved ones, or someone you completely trust. So lock it up when you are finished. This information isn't as valuable as the items themselves, but in case of a theft, robbery or even a self-defense act of protection, proof of ownership will win legal battles.

If you can prove you own the firearm or weapon then no one can take that from you.
NO government, No LEO, no one. Registration my buttocks! You don't need it!

Unless it's stolen and not recovered. But that's why you have home owners insurance.
Or rental insurance. COVER YOUR BASES! (and cover your firearms!)

There is absolutely NO conspiracy here...think about it! Say you need to recollect your serial numbers because a drug-addict broke into your home and stole firearms? No problem, you have a log book. Say the LEO that pulled you over forgot to give you back you lawfully carried firearm? No problem, you have a log book. I'm not guaranteeing you are going to get your stolen artifacts back in any way, shape or form. But this is good practice!

It will save you in the long run to know what you own by the very numbers that the Corporations use against you. You say the gov't wants to track your purchases? Then start tracking them yourself!

Good luck out there and keep fighting the good fight!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Excellent advice and a common sense solution to prevent future headaches. I was at a party a few years back and I met someone who told me one of the strangest gun stories I've ever heard. Apparently the next door neighbor of his brother had a son who broke into the brother's house, stole his .22 rifle and gave it to the next door neighbor as a birthday present. The next door neighbor was proudly showing it off to the brother, and the brother recognized it was his but he couldn't prove it because he didn't remember the gun's serial number so he had to let it go. Easily preventable, stupid [censored] like this is just as responsible for the creation of all those retarded gun control laws as those shootings are.

I myself keep a separate sheet recording the make, model, serial number, caliber, and distinctive features (I.E.barrel length) of each firearm I have, along with any accessories the gun has (like the combination to any trigger lock it might have). This way whenever I transfer owner to someone else I can either mark it as SOLD, or I can give them the sheet to keep for their own records.

Even better, such record keeping allows us to record historical information we'd want to make sure won't get lost to history. When I gave a hunting rifle I had to my nephew I also gave him the log sheet, and his eyes bulged out when he read the note BOUGHT IT FROM A CRAZY OLD MAN IN A NURSING HOME WHO USED IT TO SHOOT CATS.
edit on 29-6-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Already done on advice from my insurance agency.

Pics and vids of all devices of evil c/w. SNs easily readable. The back drop was that of a monchichi I received in the orient... So they'd know it was my vid/pics.

A log book I have not. Will do in the morning. Even have the mil spec one you have displayed.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

If you can prove you own the firearm or weapon then no one can take that from you.
NO government, No LEO, no one. Registration my buttocks! You don't need it!

While a good idea to have the numbers, etc. on record somewhere: a) you may want to have that info encoded in some way, and b) it certainly won't prevent the authorities from taking it from you.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think the idea is recourse for wrongfully removed firearms, like say Katrina. That way you have a shot at recovering your firearm or at least something of equal or better value. Because saying you had a Ruger .357 is one thing. Saying you had a Ruger Security Six, 6 inch Stainless Steel, well worn plastic woodgrain grip from holster carry, Serial Number.... tells a judge that you indeed had that gun and that the department is either going to return your gun, replace it as closely as possible (same make and model) or give you what you estimate the value to be within reason (discontinued models are more valuable as are gifts/issued duty revolvers due to their history).

And yes, I am still kicking myself over having to sell that one.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The thing about creating our own records is that we retain them.
Not the authorities, not the government. We do.

If they need proof of ownership for us to regain what was lost, so be it.
Rather have proof than nothing, because they are quick to determine non-ownership in court, at police stations and evidence lockers. I don't trust them.

As for Gaz, encryption would be ok as long as a loved on could "decrypt" them.
The whole reason for this is not to allow others to see what you own, but for your own protection versus "the man". At first I thought of the came concept. But the I realized that I only need this information in emergencies. Let's face it, some of us carry what we own.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
As another mentioned, for insurance, etc. reasons, it's a good idea to have ALL of your stuff in pics and video, especially anything of real value. So, this is still an excellent idea.

new topics

top topics

join