It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wasted Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The following vid breaks people's lives down into jellybeans, one for each day of an average person's life. They then take away jellybeans for all of the things we do in life such as work, sleeping and sitting in traffic (which takes up way too much of people's lives). In the end, after all is said and done, the time left over to do the things people want to do seems miniscule.

A nurse who counsels the dying has kept a list of the most common regrets of the dying. It also shows how much people regret wasting so much of their lives on work or trying to please other people at the expense of fulfilling themselves.

Top five regrets of the dying

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled.

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
Often they would not truly realize the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives.

The Guardian

The way the world is today, it seems it is becoming ever more impossible for people to live a truly fulfilling life, free of regrets. It seems the system is set up to prevent us from living our lives to the fullest, ensuring that we will waste the greater portion of our allotted time in useless or unfulfilled activities.

People need to find a way to overthrow the current system that seems to view people as nothing but economic units and replace it with a system that treats people like human beings again, with hopes, dreams and aspirations outside of the daily grind.

Until then, I fear we are all doomed to live a life full of wasted time...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Amazing time display !

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
So true, S&F

My wife and I were having this very discussion today and I told her that I wish I hadn't wasted so much of my life working crazy amounts of hours just to buy a bunch of materialistic things that really don't matter. We work to no end to buy the things we "think" we need when in all reality the only thing we need is to slow down and enjoy the act of truly living life and taking it all in during the short time we have on earth.

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."~Thoreau

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Dear FortAnthem,

Top five regrets of the dying

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled.

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard. This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings. Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends. Often they would not truly realize the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier. This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives.

What they leave out is why people had these regrets. What kind of life did they live? I cannot imagine living a life where I was not true to myself; but, I see it all the time. Many live lives to gain the acceptance of others and get ahead, that is a choice. They then seek to say that others forced it on them and that is just an excuse. The life we lead is our expression of who we are.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Correction on the time spent watching TV.

The average person now spends 7 hours per day watching television.
28500 * 7 = 199500
199500 / 24 = 8312
8312 / 365 = 22.7
That's 22.7 YEARS watching television

Someone please tell me I calculated that wrong!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Life is full of suffering if you want something other than what is.
A very wise man said 'the problem is you want what you don't have and don't want what you do have - if you switch it around and want what you have and don't want what you don't have then you will be content'.
If you worship 'other' then you will suffer, mainly because there is no 'other'. 'Other' is a delusion.
This right here and right now is IT - but the mind will never want it because it is. The mind can only ever imagine what isn't!! And then it tortures you with what isn't - it is a tease!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
As a young adult I am taught to think that I am wasting so much time by not working. Why is this? Everyone pushes me to get out and further my education, get a job, among other things with no help from them at all by the way. Time is being wasted as I type this post, but does it really matter in the end that I wasted this time? Does it matter if I am not wasting my time by working when I think that's a waste of time? I don't know, but the only way I see it as not a waste is if I am helping another being on this planet.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretsOfMe

If we're not fighting to acquire something, we're fighting to keep something. It's a rat race with no point other than to feel accomplished in the exact manner you're told to be. And in the end, people die wishing they had done their own thing instead of listening to everyone else. Because you just can't take that $500,000 in the bank with you when you die. All you have is memories to keep you company. Memories of everything you thought you had to do but you realize too late was never going to make you happy.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

If we're not fighting to acquire something, we're fighting to keep something. It's a rat race with no point other than to feel accomplished in the exact manner you're told to be. And in the end, people die wishing they had done their own thing instead of listening to everyone else. Because you just can't take that $500,000 in the bank with you when you die. All you have is memories to keep you company. Memories of everything you thought you had to do but you realize too late was never going to make you happy.

Yes - the human condition is fear - fear of not having enough.
The human condition is neediness and greediness.
Seeking fulfilment.

Only the realization of wholeness will stop the search.
edit on 29-6-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
That's why I only watch reality television.

There is a lot to learn from reality television because it is real-time. Observing reality. Of course if you don't have a DVR that is hours of time.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
The way the world is today, it seems it is becoming ever more impossible for people to live a truly fulfilling life, free of regrets.

Have you ever considered the idea that when a spirit enters a body at birth, into this world that they know exactly what is coming their way ?
Everyone that is living through these perilous times knew that they would have to walk this world through the 7 Year Tribulation.

Our fates are set. And from experience, as long as their path has Jesus Christ by their side, the mountains and canyons will transform into minor mounds and ditches in their life path.

It seems the system is set up to prevent us from living our lives to the fullest

But we knew this long ago. You just have to let it go. Material items, assets and money are worthless now.
Its now a spiritual battleground, and people who have no faith in any religion are falling apart.
Self made millionaires that know nothing of the coming NWO and a one world cashless currency are losing everything they have because they are blind and in denial.

People need to find a way to overthrow the current system that seems to view people as nothing but economic units and replace it with a system that treats people like human beings again, with hopes, dreams and aspirations outside of the daily grind.

Hopefully, this quote is not provoking people to rise in arms and get blood on their hands.

Lucifer has a tendency of getting people to go to war with each other simply because some people 'have' and other people 'have not'.

Until then, I fear we are all doomed to live a life full of wasted time...

During these final days, YHWH is calling out to all of us sinners.

Revelation 20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Imagine Heaven for a moment. That thought is no where near the true joy that you will feel once you enter YHWH's Kingdom after walking through the Gates of Heaven.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

In my life, I've certainly seen that rut that imprisons some people.
If were not for belief's and the resourcefulness I've gained, thru first
understanding and second experience. I'd be some where sitting on
a dock, no longer able to keep the world at bay.

But I've always bounced back with more exp. and understanding.
So go the lessons of life.
edit on 29-6-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
People are killing themselves in record number. People from all walks of life. There's more than sufficient evidence to support the observation that happiness can not be found anywhere in the World. The nectar of life comes only from within. People who have placed their bets with the World, are losing.

"Do not love the World or anything of it"

The Kingdom of heaven is within you.
edit on 29-6-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
well for some reason the title made me think of this.
i'm sure many people have felt what this man has put to words.
hope you enjoy it.

my pop use to call him freddy running board

man i feel old now.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Very early in my youth I rejected the American conventional lifestyle and sought spiritual enlightenment.

I thought I could find it through the counter culture methods of drugs, mysticism, alcohol, hedonism, meditation and sloth. I didn't find enlightenment but instead found addiction and pain.

What a long, strange trip it's been...

I guess that's what it took to get to where I am now. Grateful and at peace...

edit on 29-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Its a shame that the world wants us to spend all our time in our youth chasing the almighty dollar so that we can retire in our old age when we can no longer enjoy it to the fullest as we could in our youth.

I say enjoy your youth and take your time deciding what you want to do with your life. Enjoy your youth while you still have it so you don't regret wasting it when you grow old.

BTW: I found this great pic that goes perfectly with this thread.

new topics

top topics

join