It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High River residents furious after RCMP seize ‘substantial’ number of firearms from evacuated ho

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Here's what I think, for what it's worth:

People got little warning for the oncoming flood that threatened the town, but whatever they did get had them thinking those nice locked gun cabinets in the basement were never going to keep the water out. So, they'd do what I'd do... take them out and upstairs where the chances of them surviving are a lot better.

Then, when the evacuation orders came, the rifles, shotguns and pistols had to be left behind to carry all that other stuff that's precious to a family.

As the RCMP came around to look for people left in their flooded homes, they found around 1200 weapons lying around... no surprise. The law states that weapons stored unsafely should be confiscated and that's what they did. Likely, they were hoping to charge the gun owners with hefty fines and even keep the weapons, but the Prime Ministers Office said 'no way'... you give them all back.

I neither blame the cops for doing their job, nor the citizens for being PO'd. It's all just a really bad situation all around. Some of those home owners won't be able to get into their houses for 8 weeks. THAT'S how bad the flooding was. I also don't blame the PMO for making that call about returning them, even if the government has no business sticking their noses into RCMP actions.

The whole thing is a shambles and the last thing anybody there needs is more problems.

That's what I think.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

So, why go after firearms only when crimes with knives have been on the increase in Canada?

Why didn't the RCMP take with them and lock up all those evil looking kitchen knives that were up for grabs for criminals?

Knife-related homicides rise: StatsCan

Last Updated: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 | 6:32 PM ET

CBC News

The number of homicides committed with knives has risen in Canada and equals the number committed with guns for the first time since 1974, according to a new report from Statistics Canada.

In 2008, 34 per cent of 611 homicides reported by police were committed with knives, a seven per cent increase from 1999 and more than double the approximately 15 per cent level of 1974, the first year for which homicide data is available.

The proportion of homicides involving guns, meanwhile, dropped significantly — from approximately 48 per cent in 1974 to 34 per cent in 2008.

www.cbc.ca...

edit on 30-6-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

They didn't take the knives because they were confused over which was more dangerous... the steak knives, butter knives, paring knives, cheese knife or the fishing knives. Then there were all those sharp forks and stuff. Don't forget scissors either.

On the other hand, it could be that there's a definite law about storing firearms safely, but not so much about kitchen cutlery.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Looks like things are pretty much calmed down now:

(Staff Sgt. Brian) Jones said owners of guns that were seized can let RCMP hang onto their firearms if they can't return to their homes, yet. He said it's also OK if they want to store the guns with someone else.
"If the owner wants them and they have a place they can safely store them, we'll give them back," Jones said.
In a statement Friday, the RCMP said officers found that many gun owners had actually laid out their guns in plain view in order to move valuable possessions to higher ground in their homes.
Jones said some gun owners in High River were happy to hear that their weapons were safe.

Read more: www.ctvnews.ca...

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Sure, the RCMP say they were left in the open, lets hear what the actual residents have to say.

Also, in the comments in the link provided:

Province of Alberta EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ACT EXERT: Powers of Minister in emergency 19(1) On the making of the declaration and for the duration of the state of emergency, the Minister may do all acts and take all necessary proceedings including the following: (a) put into operation an emergency plan or program; (b) authorize or require a local authority to put into effect an emergency plan or program for the municipality; (c) acquire or utilize any real or personal property considered necessary to prevent, combat or alleviate the effects of an emergency or disaster; (d) authorize or require any qualified person to render aid of a type the person is qualified to provide; (e) control or prohibit travel to or from any area of Alberta; (f) provide for the restoration of essential facilities and the distribution of essential supplies and provide, maintain and co-ordinate emergency medical, welfare and other essential services in any part of Alberta; (g) cause the evacuation of persons and the removal of livestock and personal property from any area of Alberta that is or may be affected by a disaster and make arrangements for the adequate care and protection of those persons or livestock and of the personal property; (h) authorize the entry into any building or on any land, without warrant, by any person in the course of implementing an emergency plan or program; (i) cause the demolition or removal of any trees, structures or crops if the demolition or removal is necessary or appropriate in order to reach the scene of a disaster, or to attempt to forestall its occurrence or to combat its progress; (j) procure or fix prices for food, clothing, fuel, equipment, medical supplies, or other essential supplies and the use of any property, services, resources or equipment within any part of Alberta for the duration of the state of emergency; (k) authorize the conscription of persons needed to meet an emergency.

Read more: www.ctvnews.ca...

Sounds like if the provincial government has all the power it wants if it declares an emergency, appears your rights go right out the window.

edit:

Oh great, my own province has the same tripe.
edit on 30-6-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

They didn't take the knives because they were confused over which was more dangerous... the steak knives, butter knives, paring knives, cheese knife or the fishing knives. Then there were all those sharp forks and stuff. Don't forget scissors either.

On the other hand, it could be that there's a definite law about storing firearms safely, but not so much about kitchen cutlery.

Masqua, you and I know very well that it is because they are firearms, plain and simple. Even with the Tory Canadian government in power now, if they were really in favor of people having firearms there wouldn't be any legislation to restrict them.

It is a fact that there are as many, if not more murders and other vicious crimes committed with knives as with firearms.

The RCMP is not even allowing people in the flooded areas, and to do this not only do they need road blocks, but also patrols in the flooded areas.

The RCMP could have simply locked the houses, if they were left open which I doubt it, and left the firearms where they were.

As other members mentioned, It would be strange that people would leave their houses unlocked, so the RCMP broke into people's houses and actively searched them which in itself authorities should not even consider unless they had some sign/evidence that someone was inside in serious trouble.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

They have a fixation with guns and the fact the public has guns. Their are many many in law enforcement with this fixation.

It doesn't bother anyone that they also searched the entire house.....under the half backed gun thingy bunch of bull crap.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I had to re-read that article because I couldn't believe it. I would like to know how and why they even went into the houses in the first place. If they were able to enter and search the houses then just how bad in condition are those houses in to not let the owners check it out themselves. Anyways, stuff like this blows my mind. I would like to know more details surrounding the whole ordeal,

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Here be the latest on this event. www.sunnewsnetwork.ca...

In it the reporter asks some interesting questions that should be ask in a judicial hearing at very least. I feel that to break into residents to seize firearms is already breaking the law. I hope it gets more Canadian coverage since this is the kind of focus that will allow us to keep our freedoms as they gets whittled down like a Dr. Mario game...

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by godsmokes

We really have no say whether or not they enter the house, as technically, according to the Law, we don't own our homes, that's why they are called a household, we just HOLD them. The Courts and RCMP(a paramilitary force) can make you leave your home and force you out of it, have more say in what happens to it than you do.

If you really owned your home would they be able to tell you what to do? The answer is no. And that applies to anything in life. If someone can tell you what to do with it, and enforce that, you don't actually own it.

It even applies to your kids, they are not yours, you are just in possession of them. They court can overturn custody without your say. Take them away from you whenever they want, because they can. The state owns all of your belongings including your children, and even your name.
edit on 3-7-2013 by chronicTRE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Looks like they went to get the guns, not the people.

Plenty of High Riverites have reported that upon returning to their homes the only footprints left behind by authorities appear to be those going to closets and other gun hiding places. Some posts on online forums claim Mounties took rifles or shotguns out of locked cases and left the cases behind.

One gun owner insists his guns were cable-locked in a wall rack — i.e. safely stored — yet police cut the cable and took the guns.

www.edmontonsun.com...

So they went in ready to get the guns, locked or not.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Unfortunately, Canadians are hyper-delusional. They are told from birth that they are blessed to live in the best country in the world. In reality the weather sucks; 6 months of winter. The taxes are among the highest in the world and a Canadian friend when asked what do you get for your tax dollars, replied "garbage collection". Canada has for years,had an immigration that favors unskilled immigrants from countries with cultures totally alien to the Canadian Culture. Ironically, Canada has a government dept. to protect Canadian Culture, go figure. Canada's immigration was similar to the US Amnesty program but in slow motion.
Having said this, Canadians still think they are better off than people in other countries. In reality Canada is a zionist state where free speech has strict limits. Canadians complain, but never do anything to bring about change. They allow the zionist bankers to make the change for them.The Canadian gov't recently spent $1 billion for security event hosted for G20 bankers and the public never questioned the expenditure. A group of hooded anarchists wearing police boots burned 7 police cars and a chain saw (WMD) was found in the trunk of a contractor's car.
It is only when you leave Canada, that you realize how duped you have been. Canadians will start to realize that their reality is not all that it seems as events like High River becomes more frequent and their economy begins to come off the rails as it already has in Ontario.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayarea

Zero doubt in my mind this was the only intent of the RCMP - there were zero worries about anything else.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The RCMP are now going to be investigated for this.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join