It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer and printer prices to rise in EU because you can print copywritten stuff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Computer and printer prices to rise in EU because you can print copywritten stuff

www.geek.com

The complaint?

That printers allow people to reproduce copyright-protected works. That being the case, VG Wort believed that a levy should be collected by the companies that sell printers to compensate rightsholders.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 28-6-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Yup, if you want to buy a new printer that higher price tag is because you MIGHT print something that is copyrighted.

MAYBE. (But of course the official term used is "CAN PRINT"

So even if you write your own material and print it...you would still have to pay the extra fee because you MIGHT have done something illegal.

MIGHT HAVE

Isn't this a form of Pre-Crime Detection, guilty before innocent or actually guilty as soon as you purchase?

And did the Court of Justice agree? Of course it did...

europa.eu...

Court of Justice of the European Union

PRESS RELEASE No 80/13

Luxembourg, 27 June 2013

In today’s judgment, the Court of Justice, in response, states that the concept of ‘reproductions on paper or any similar medium, effected by the use of any kind of photographic technique or by some other process having similar effects’ includes reproductions made using a printer or a personal computer where the two are linked together.

Ah Hell...I give up.

Peace

www.geek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 28-6-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

That printers allow people to reproduce copyright-protected works.

What about pens and paper?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

That printers allow people to reproduce copyright-protected works.

What about pens and paper?

Or all those kiddies drawing Mickey Mouse in Kindergarten with crayons?

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

First of all... in this modern world with an interconnected global market, almost anyone can buy almost anything they want from the internet. Increase the price of local goods and you'll simply drive more people to import foreign goods as a counterbalance.

Secondly... if there were such a tax, it would be much more rational to put it on computers and not printers. A computer is usually used to download the copyrighted material before it is printed. Either way though this idea is completely stupid.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I cannot believe how anything like this could happen. How can anyone just allow this happen and pay more for a printer? This is ridiculous!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is ridiculous...
So they are holding patrons accountable for something that they "might" do...well, let's incarcerate gun owners before they kill someone! Wow!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
ChaoticOrder is exactly correct on this.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Who buys a printer these days?

Hello?

Print is dead.

ETA:

Printer manufactures bread and butter are ink refills anyways.

edit on 28-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Printers are primarily for business and education. I print daily at work. The law requires such records.

At home? .pdf all the way.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by neo96

Printers are primarily for business and education. I print daily at work. The law requires such records.

Then it's time for the law to change to pdf all the way needs to catch up with the times.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by neo96

Then it's time for the law to change to pdf all the way needs to catch up with the times.

shhhhh....They MIGHT be listening.

I mean...They ARE listening.

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Reminds me of the time they tried to tax blank cassette tapes: Private copying levy

As I recall, that didn't work out so well.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
Reminds me of the time they tried to tax blank cassette tapes: Private copying levy

As I recall, that didn't work out so well.

A lesson they learned for DVD's and Bluray's and moved straight to digital content.

No reproduction what so ever 'legally',

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Absolutely any excuse for a new tax.

There truly are people who've never met a tax they didn't fall in love with. It's a wonder and freak of nature but there one sits right in the OP story.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Absolutely any excuse for a new tax.

There truly are people who've never met a tax they didn't fall in love with. It's a wonder and freak of nature but there one sits right in the OP story.

And those same people are the ones that pay for everything on expense accounts...on the tax payer's dollar of course.

So why would they worry about taxes when they are practically exempt?

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Wonderful idea - But why stop there?

I can copy and play back information with a printer, a CD, a DVD, a cassette tape, a flash drive, and hard drive - Let's just make all these industries charge more so they can compensate everyone who holds a copy write. They would have to compensate everyone with a copy write of course because who know who's material will be copied. - Gee.. I'd like to see how they are gonna manage That. Thats the entire planet. They would have to charge millions of dollars for a 200 MB flash drive LOL

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
So, if I'm already paying for the assumption that I'm doing it, does that now make it totally legal for me to print any copyrighted document I want? After all, I've already paid the tax.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
So, if I'm already paying for the assumption that I'm doing it, does that now make it totally legal for me to print any copyrighted document I want? After all, I've already paid the tax.

Sounds like you have the right to do so seeing as you have paid the licensing fee.

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Well, lets be perfectly fair and respect everyone, right? I can recite the poetry of Poe in a public park if I were that kind of guy. (okay, a weird one for that choice, but it's that kind of world) and wouldn't I then be breaking a Copyright of some sort? I'm technically reproducing works for public enjoyment.

Hey! We better tax all that talking stuff. People need pre-reimbursed their projected losses. Imagine the fraud that must happen daily with the mouth alone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join