It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Residents angry as RCMP seize guns from High River homes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
How can they prove they own anything if they lost their homes and presumably the things inside to flooding?

Why wouldn't they leave the guns alone if they have the entire area in the checkpoint already?

I don't like the precedent of being denied entry to my own house then having other people going in.
Proof you are not free, really.
Don't give me crap about "for your own safety", as an adult that's your RIGHT to make good choices or bad.
This is taking away that right for the collective. Essentially proving your life is in other's hands.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
How can they prove they own anything if they lost their homes and presumably the things inside to flooding?

Why wouldn't they leave the guns alone if they have the entire area in the checkpoint already?

I don't like the precedent of being denied entry to my own house then having other people going in.
Don't give me crap about "for your own safety", as an adult that's your RIGHT to make good choices or bad.
This is taking away that right for the collective. Essentially proving your life is in other's hands.

Right on the money here with your post...

If there's any damage to documentation proving they own those guns I guess they're screwed and just lost their firearms : / They would probably have to go through a lengthy and costly process of trying to prove they own them.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dominar

RCMP had taken some firearms that they said weren't stored
properly in empty homes.

"empty homes" ? ? This is what's infuriating, RCMP are making this
as if the homes were abandoned and "empty"
These homes in fact are privately owned and the RCMP trespassed.
Considering the RCMP admitted that they illegally broke into
private homes without warrants, they now are fully responsible for any
damage and missing items, esp. since they were in full
control in securing the homes in the 1rst place.
What they did was wrong on so many levels. Considering the farm
animals have been abandoned, not fed,neglected, yet RCMP
took time to brake into private homes without warrants or permission.
Priorities and ethics there are just wrong !

edit on 28/6/13 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Video at Calgary HeraldCalgary herald

‘Hell to pay:’ Residents angry as RCMP seize guns from High River homes (with video)

‘It’s just like Nazi Germany,’ says resident

(ex-posted)
Canada, now... As to why they would do that, don't they pride themselves on less gun crimes? Then why would the guns of citizens be an issue if there is less crime, even if taken from empty home-considering doors were locked? Did they want the people to walk around with their firearms, or go and try to find a place to store them if in shelters? No place is becoming immune to that action!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
So In Canada, ( I love Canada) the police are taking peoples guns to ensure safety for all.

Now I would say, " All you Canadians need to move down south for a while to see what freedom is. "

But I can not do that.

Here in the USA the paid off enforcers of the law would do exactly the same !

What we can do , is make a post just like this on ATS. We need to bring the discussion out in the open, we need to spread facts.

Thanks OP for bringing thiis to everyone's attention. ATS traffic will bring in millions of minds. (remember that)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

The farmers are furious because they are bared from
tending to and checking on their barn animals,
Yet the RCMP are braking into locked homes !

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dominar

Originally posted by yourmaker

Right on the money here with your post...

If there's any damage to documentation proving they own those guns I guess they're screwed and just lost their firearms : / They would probably have to go through a lengthy and costly process of trying to prove they own them.

well the pmo orded they be returned so i would hope they were tagged to indicate what adress they came from..you would think they will be returned to the adress they were taken from

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by vonclod

Yes, I hope so too : /

Considering that they entered homes without warrants and were stealing property, I doubt any of them took the time to take notes of what guns were taken and where they came from

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

Totally agree, they had no business going in there and the excuses they used were not valid imo...

“We just want to make sure that all of those things are in a spot that we control, simply because of what they are,”

“People have a significant amount of money invested in firearms ... so we put them in a place that we control and that they’re safe.” Source

Why didn't they protect the peoples' homes from looters instead of looting the homes themselves?

And the fact the "People have a significant amount of money invested in firearms" is pretty arbitrary, people have lots of money invested in other things why not take those too?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Dominar

You're glossing over the most important part of what you excerpted:

“We just want to make sure that all of those things are in a spot that we control, simply because of what they are,”

That says it all. It has nothing to do with monetary value and everything is rather about control.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Maybe it was about stopping the looters from stealing the guns?

To those who said, "Why aren't they protecting the homes from the looters?" is there enough RCMP officers to watch the whole town? Probably, not. I see this as a tough decision having been made on part by the RCMP. The flood caused everyone to evacuate. The police come through to check everything and find that looters are going around, and they find that many people have left unsecured guns. Do you just leave them and let the looters get their hands on the guns?

Honestly, I think people blindly jump on the anti cop bandwagon way too easily. If the Canadian government and other federal organizations wanted to get rid of guns, why is Harper getting ride of parts of the gun registration?

My family knows several RCMP officers, two I went to a martial arts club with when I was in highschool. They are not part of the powers that be, they are just people just like us, and have families and kids, and they are sticking to a hard job trying to help the community. Yes, there are bad apples, yes some politicians make stupid laws that the RCMP have to enforce, but that's just the nature of reality, you can never have a perfect system.

If the RCMP gives the guns back, all is fine. If and when they don't give them back, then complain. Time will show the truth.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by anon4m05

For me, this makes sense.

This is an extreme situation. Extreme situations might lead to extreme actions, who knows how long this will last after all. 8th day currently. Some people might become desperate.

Sooner or later, probably some looting has happened already. This could give some criminals access to easy weapons of others. It could lead to lots of problems at the end, especially juridical. Somebody kills somebody with a registered gun of another which they stole during the flood.

Such situations require full control from the authorities, otherwise it might lead to real chaos. I have seen firsthand when riots go out of control - people start looting mindlessly, being extremely violent. Couple of people were killed. This is sad and unfortunately this situation might lead to riots. It is a small town, so it might be so, that the police force is not large enough to handle the people.

In one way, it is best to ensure that no nutsack could go out of control and keep control of the situation. The other thing is about removing issues what this could lead to.

I see many theories in internet, although I would ask one thing: If the people get their guns back as promised, will everybody who suggesting otherwise apologise? I doubt so...

I personally am sure that the people will get their guns back. It might seem to be a very confusing decision for many, but I see such actions necessary in such an extreme situations - some people might start taking advantage of this or some people might become too desperate. To ensure that something like that does not happen the guns were taken away.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by anon4m05

Why would Canadians need rifles? It's not like they have dangerous animals around..
Seriously, this is crazy. Real life big brother #. This is what you get when you let them make gun registration mandatory i guess. Let this be a lesson for ALL AMERICANS. We have to fight for our rights. Join the NRA now if you are not a member. Even if you think the NRA goes overboard sometimes, this is a prime example of why you have to be vigilant in your gun rights... I hope all our brothers and sisters in Canada wake up and make changes to the laws that allow these Nazis to come into your home and confiscate personal property.

V

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Did they also take fine jewelry and coins to protect them from looters? Guns probably average $500 a piece, so as things go this is a good tax with added benefits in the modern military LE mindset.

Those who claim this was a righteous action are the enemies of the common working people. They talk nice and pretend to respect you, but they will steal everything you own and claim the law says they can so it must be moral in their eyes. Why let the poor down on their luck looters steal the stuff when the rich provided for government looters can steal it for ?the people instead?

Eventually, after one of these events in the future you will not get them back. For many reasons some wont get them back this time and nobody will talk about it because the weapons were of an banned type, the owners are ex-cons or have one living in the same house or they just don't recall what they had or what their deceased spouse/parent left etc.

This is what you get with militarized police who were trained by their corporations to have no respect for lives or personal property. They will kill you for breathing too much air.

Perhaps a system should be developed whereas you can mark your own home as being emptied and secured - thus should remain Off limits to LE inspections in the guise of a friendly protection search.

edit on 6/29/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by terriblyvexed
What an odd situation,I guess they were worried of civil unrest, and people taking the law into their own hands against looters...

There must be more to this story.

Looters? you mean, people who go from house to house and steal stuff like cash and guns?

Oh... right. If they are wearing a uniform they aren't looters. They're 'police' and they are 'helping' you.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The owners won't see them again unless they have a receipt, which people usually do not keep. The cops take this sort of thing and keep it for themselves, at least that's the way it works around here. You can't prove they took it, they will keep no hard documentation saying they took it, and you have no means to force entry into the cop station and search for it. If you spend a fortune on lawyers it's not worth it. So, essentially, it's just gone.

What SHOULD happen is, having proof they did this, they entered citizen's homes without warrants and when no crime was ongoing, is that they charge the RCMP officers for theft and looting and slam them in the pokey for a decade, but it'll never happen.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I live in northern Ontario and we probably have more gun per capita then you guy's in the USA
I have 4-type 22 1-308 1-303 1-350 mag 1 -22/410 over/under and a few more

The only thing we do more then hockey is Hunting
and fishing

Just in case I did not make myselft clear

and probably have as many in there steel gun cabinet

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by seamus

What an odd situation,I guess they were worried of civil unrest, and people taking the law into their own hands against looters...

Looters? you mean, people who go from house to house and steal stuff like cash and guns?

Oh... right. If they are wearing a uniform they aren't looters. They're 'police' and they are 'helping' you.

I'm not defending their actions, just saying that it's really strange they would do that.

I would hope they had a reason, and not just trying to disarm the public.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by seamus

I'm not defending their actions, just saying that it's really strange they would do that.

I would hope they had a reason, and not just trying to disarm the public.

I'm really not trying to be crass or unfriendly, but... You're on ATS. Are you seriously still not disenfranchised enough to know that 'they' have a very specific reason for doing this, and it is TO disarm the public? What's this 'hope' you're talking about? You think the bully's going to play nice, or even according to the rules HE wrote? There's one born every minute, I guess. Canada's law enforcement is just as corrupt as, if not more than, the US law enforcement hierarchy. Just dare yourself to look into the rapes and murders of first-nations women at the hands of white Canadians if you want to dispute that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join