It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common sense wins out in WV... NRA t-shirt charges dropped.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

The West Virginia eighth-grader arrested after refusing a teacher's demand he remove a National Rifle Association T-shirt he wore to school won't face criminal charges after all. Jared Marcum, 14, was charged with obstruction following the April 18 incident after police who were called to Logan Middle School school said he refused to stop talking. The case generated national headlines, as Marcum's family and attorney, Ben White, claimed the demand that he remove the NRA shirt violated his right to freedom of speech. On Thursday, Logan County Circuit Judge Eric O'Briant signed an order dismissing the charge.

I imagine the national outcry over this influenced the decision...

"We were here because the prosecution filed a motion for a gag order," White said on Monday. "My opinion is because, seemingly, they want to take it out of the court of public opinion." But on Thursday, after reviewing statements from the arresting officer and the school's principal, White said he and a prosecutor agreed that creating a criminal record for Marcum wasn't a good idea. "I didn't think it would go this far because, honestly, I don't see a problem with [the shirt],” Jared Marcum told WOWK in April. “There shouldn't be a problem with this.”

Giving this young man a criminal record over a t-shirt sounds so asinine, I'm happy they pulled their collective heads out of the mud...

Full story
edit on 28-6-2013 by madmac5150 because: Link added

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Link to story so I can send it to other people? Also good for the kid for beating the system this time.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150

LINK TO FOX NEWS STORY Thank God for the Fox coverage on this........
Now all those liberal progressives (read, Marxists) are beginning to see what it looks like to live in a police state. I wonder how much longer it'll be before they fess up and beg forgiveness for voting for him - 2wce

The young man - backed by his father (and mother I presume) would have taken it all the way to the SCOTUS!!!
edit on 28-6-2013 by Guadeloupe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Link added to OP... my bad... still on my 1st cup of coffee...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Good for him. Now that is the kind of teachable moment I like to see but seems so rare anymore. He learned the benefit of never giving up!

Fighting for solid principle is always worth it.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Good for him. Now that is the kind of teachable moment I like to see but seems so rare anymore. He learned the benefit of never giving up!

Exactly... as I posted before: Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are always free.

Amazing when a 14 year old kid gets it, and the "sane, rational" adults are clueless...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That's good, it was a stupid story to begin with. I couldn't imagine why he would have been brought up on charges for refusing to take off a t shirt that isn't in any way offensive or threatining.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Jared Marcum, 14, was charged with obstruction following the April 18 incident after police who were called to Logan Middle School school said he refused to stop talking.

Because he wouldnt stop talking?

Are we officially living in a police state yet?

What happened to getting sent to the Principal's office?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You would be surprised at what some of these so called "teachers" try to get away with today. mambi pambi libral agenda devoid of all reasoning SOMETIMES.

I was called to the school on at least two occasions for my sons bad grades in class. All the other classes were fine. Sat through the academic circle of enlightenment on how we can improve my sons grades and focus. Only to be told by my son months later that 60-75% of the class was failing and said teacher was not having his or her contract renewed the next year.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
And now to punish the tax payers with a law suit all because some school administrators couldnt just leave a t-shirt alone.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Good news.

And

Don't have a problem with a law suit punishing the school for that forced indoctrination could be a learning lesson for others around the nation.

Stop pushing political agenda's in them and let kids be kids.
edit on 28-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guadeloupe

It's nice that reason once in while prevails.

They could charge him for the haircut though.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Stop pushing political agenda's in them and let kids be kids.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

You know rabbit, you're slightly off on this one. The kid didn't learn anything, he taught folks a little something about what it means to stick to your principles. Good to see my home state isn't a lost cause yet.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Was that kid the one trying to burn books acting like a nazi to get rid of things he didn't like, and had their gestapo arrrest anyone?

That would be no no what if's there just the fact and the fact was a kid was arrested for wearing a T_SHIRT.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FatherStacks

I believe I see your point and that works for me as well.

It sure sets an example you can bet school kids from coast to coast are hearing about or will over future weeks and months in one form or another. Rights don't stop at the school curb after all and this had sounded as political as any legitimate argument about causing disruption (before the school made it a disruption themselves, of course)

Of course, I wouldn't want to be this kid if asking for so much as a paper clip from faculty anywhere in the school in the future, either. Although, a small price for the Rights involved.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That would be no no what if's there just the fact and the fact was a kid was arrested for wearing a T_SHIRT.

No? So, he wasn't wearing a Pro-Gun T Shirt? One that advertized for the lobby group NRA, who bribe our congress regularly in order to eliminate any and all gun control legislation, insuring that firearms always find their way into the hands of gang members, drug cartels, psychopaths, and children?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
reply to post by neo96

No? So, he wasn't wearing a Pro-Gun T Shirt? One that advertized for the lobby group NRA, who bribe our congress regularly in order to eliminate any and all gun control legislation, insuring that firearms always find their way into the hands of gang members, drug cartels, psychopaths, and children?

In the UK the only people with guns ARE the criminals!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Wow, we see a very rare event--a display of common sense and conscience by a prosecutor.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

there is a difference between constitutionally protected freedom of speech originating from a kid, and brainwashing.

it's a sad day when exercising a right is viewed as pushing a political agenda.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join