It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK power cuts causing population to feel better?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Afternoon ATS,

Today has been a very weird day, as you may or may not know the UK is having power shortage problems. Huge sectors of the UK are having power cuts frequently and quite frankly, I feel much better.

This has been happening for a few weeks and apparently affecting the communication lines (Sorry NSA and GCHQ, no spying for now, although I am sure you have a back up)

I have been talking to numerous people at work and around the towns over the past few weeks, everybody is happier and generally enjoying their lives much more, these are people who usually sit at their desks moping about until the day is out, then go home as miserable as always, that's just the usual british way of life

However I am wondering how this is possible, I have discussed this with numerous colleagues, nobody had an explanation as to why they are happier, its like something was lurking inside the conscious of the nation causing them to be depressed and unhappy, but not enough to do somehting about it, has suddenly disappeared.

Sooooo primarily UK ATS folk......

How you dooooinnn (In the style of joey from friends)

Regards,

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Not had any power cuts here or heard about huge sectors of the UK having any either.
Maybe people you talk to are happier since we've seen more than 1 sunny day this summer

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Not had any cuts down south YET!

I doubt its the power cuts that make people feel better, its much more likely to be the phone masts going down. I'm convinced they affect people.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
hi op

No power cuts here (coventry)
No feeling better
No jobs

BUT on the horizon

British Gas owner Centrica is hoping to tap in to the UK's shale gas potential by snapping up drilling rights in Lancashire. The gas giant is reportedly in talks to buy a stake in licences in the Bowland Shale rock formation in Lancashire from shale gas explorer Cuadrilla, according to the Financial Times. Staffordshire-based Cuadrilla claims to be sitting on 200 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas in the area and is leading the UK's attempts to extract the gas through a controversial process called fracking. Centrica's reported interest in UK shale gas comes just days after rival explorer IGas Energy significantly increased its estimates of the volume of gas it has licences over. Shares in IGas soared this week after it said it may have up to 172.3tcf of shale gas in a 300-square mile area in Cheshire - up from its previous estimate of 9tcf. The UK currently uses around 2.76tcf of gas a year. The gas is found in shale formed from deposits of mud, silt, clay and organic matter.

As you can see it says 200 trillion
www.standard.co.uk...

But another source says 1200 trillion

Francis Egan, Chief Executive of Cuadrilla Resources, made the claim after it was announced there is as much as 1,300 trillion cubic feet of shale gas in the Bowland Basin, which is made up of 11 counties in the North of England, including Lancashire.

www.lep.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I always seem to feel better when the power has been out for a while. At first it is like there is a kaotic time but once a person acclimates, it becomes relaxing. Until you need to run the generator to keep the freezers and fridge cold. That reminds me, I have to get some gas for the generators in case something happens to the power. Around here when the power goes out for a few days, trees are across the roads tangled with power lines. Thankfully there are just as many chainsaws in this area as guns.

edit on 28-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by The0nlytruth
How you dooooinnn (In the style of joey from friends)

No power outages here.

Power outages give people a breather, no LAN phonelines work. No clients saying asking why something is late or not working. Workmates can have a talk / smoke / laugh. You work to live, not live to work as it is now.

Heres a big bonus; the late work is not their fault. i found this out whilst living in South Africa with constant timed outages.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by The0nlytruth

Huge sectors of the UK are having power cuts ?

Great story mate.

My gfs probably responsible. At the mo she's got 3 tvs on, the washing machine, dishwasher, she's running a bath, using her hairdryer (why not do that after a bath ? *puzzled*), she's got two mobile phones charging, she's got her notebook on for FB and has just plugged a radio into the wall and has dragged the lead under the bathroom door. Oh and the cooker's on too because its perfectly reasonable to her that I come home from work and have to wait an hour to be fed.

If you see the electric spike and smell burning hopefully she's finally set this house ablaze.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
No cuts in central Scotland.

Which parts of the UK are affected, I've heard nothing in the news.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
No power cuts here in the North East, at least none that I'm aware of.

Always have plenty of candles at hand just in case, had a few instances of workmen accidently cutting through electricity cables etc over the years - it's ok when it happens, nothing like straining your eyes whilst trying to catch up on your reading but it get's a bit annoying when the beer get's warm and there's no ice for the vodka.

However, it can be fun finding 'other things to do' when the lights are out.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Wheres your source OP.
Seems odd you post this a day AFTER the TV tells the sheeple we MAY have cuts in the future!
Are we being NORMALISED to expect cuts - With vastly inflated prices to maintain profits?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Yep, we here on Teesside have had power cuts and limited broadband and TV, apparently it's all fixed now but apart from us I haven't heard anything else.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I think the OP is confused by stories in the media today suggesting that power shortages might occur in the future due to the failure of the previous government to ensure outgoing power stations were replaced.

www.bbc.co.uk...

It hasn't happened yet - and it probably never will. Although with households using more and more electricity to power their expensive, unnecessary and pointless gadgets, who knows?

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The0nlytruth

there isn't any power cuts? I'm in a small town in between derby and nottingham.

they mentioned on the news last night there may be power cuts in many years with old power stations becoming obsolete and old but not in the here and now. if there were it would be all over the news and media outlets-

you strike me as rather odd

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
I think the OP is confused by stories in the media today suggesting that power shortages might occur in the future due to the failure of the previous government to ensure outgoing power stations were replaced.

www.bbc.co.uk...

It hasn't happened yet - and it probably never will. Although with households using more and more electricity to power their expensive, unnecessary and pointless gadgets, who knows?

www.guardian.co.uk...

its all us uk ATS'ers draining the national grid ;-)

new topics

top topics

join