It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gasland 2 - We are Frack'd!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Get ready for round two. Put your mouth guards because if your like me you are going to be grinding your teeth. I watched the interview with josh fox on john Stuart, and that was enough to get me on edge.

Gasland 2

I am sure this administration knows how bad this is for the environment, but is thinking it will just have to take one for the team ( the environment). Extremely low natural gas prices are about the only thing the government can shout about.

My gas bill last winter went from $1300 per month down to $450. The short term savings for people in this country are going to be OUR long term nightmare, not just here ( because now they are pushing this "technology" on the rest of the world).

There are quite a few facets to this problem/story and I can not see the end of it any time soon.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MindpurelyMind

Pure propaganda!

Every time people go after natural resources (that we need) there is always a group of tree hugging, environmentalist, climate change fruit loops poised to cry about it. Face it, environmentalism is big business….probably rivaling big oil! Most often these groups peddle misleading information, half truths and bogus facts, so I’m not going to waste my time watching more of the same.

We need our natural resources! There is no ground-breaking new tech that will satisfy those needs so get over it.

Just my $.02

edit on 28-6-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Absolute garbage you are talking about here.....Gasland is just a bunch of opinion and no actual facts!

This "new technology" you are talking about - as in Fracking.....Has been around for over 50 years!!

Not to mention the "burning faucets" in this crap of a "documentary" is completely false.....read into some of the actual facts of well water before commenting please....

Well water already contains high traces of methane, not natural gas and before fracking even takes place anywhere near most of these "burning faucets" you could light the water on fire......Don't believe everything you hear from these guys until you actually dive into the facts a bit.....
edit on 6/28/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

ETA: I get people trying to argue with me about fracking every time a topic comes up, so I am not going to argue back this time....Read some actual facts where the website isn't www.ihatefracking.com or www.burningfaucetsfromfracking.com.....

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
While I do agree with you there, Ecco friendly is just as profitable as the other big oil guys.

But we need the biggest natural resource of Innovation and justice to always reign supreme.

This is our country, we own it, we run it, we live in it, let's keep it protected, Big oil is honestly the profit margin that's causing more of an issue, it just happens that it's profitable to raise awareness for that big oil issue as well.

We can use so many other means of power, and more are being made every year, ELectromagnetics is how we will move away from Oil. Watch

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Agreed Seabag.

As you accurately pointed out, the demand for natural resources is there and regardless of the resource or the means to extract it, there will always be those who do not agree or have an opposite view point.

An example that comes to mind is wind power. Here we have a "relatively" clean source of energy, but there an enormous amount of people opposed to this form of energy because of "noise" pollution and the fact they believe it to be a eye sore.

To be honest, not much research has been done on the environmental impact of this method of extraction. However, if done properly and is contained, it is no more dangerous or harmful to the environment than the other industrial activities the human race has develops.

With newer and stricter regulations being imposed on the Oil & Gas industry, innovation is at the forefront of these companies minds. The rationale being, any environmental disaster would cost far more then investing in a little R&D to ensure accidents wont happen.

But with anything, sh@t does happen and it would be naive to state that we have not already had a significant impact on planets current landscape.

The real topic that should be discussed is sustainability. Would it be sustainable to continue utilizing methods such as fracking with the inherent risks associated with it.

Drawing in the environmental issues, though still very important, are really just a periphery concern in the big picture of things.
edit on 28-6-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

I agree, but with advances in safety of casing jobs fracking is turning more and more safe......With the EPA and other government agencies paying closer attention to fracking, companies are forced to change ways to safety now more than ever! It is getting to become the safest way to extract energy that should be utilized much more IMO!!

If all cars and everything turned from Oil to natural gas, it would not only be 10,000 percent cheaper but also cleaner and safer to remove from the Earth...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Great thread.
This should be at the forefront of everyone's mind.

This is a nightmare as you said. If all the damage from
fracking happened in one place it would be a national tragedy
and on the news every night. Clean fresh water is WAY
more precious than natural gas.

If this doesn't prove that big oil and gas don't give a flying ****
about renewables the environment or you, I dont know what will.
edit on 28-6-2013 by sealing because: Grammar

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

We can use so many other means of power, and more are being made every year, ELectromagnetics is how we will move away from Oil. Watch

We’ve been watching…

Don’t you think if alternative technology was available and affordable there would be many companies capitalizing on this new energy?? Everything being tried is either far too expensive to become practically applied or is completely counter productive. The electric car thing was a flop! You literally burn more natural resources charging it up than you save by using it!

Do you believe there is an active conspiracy by ‘big oil’ and/or ‘big brother’ to keep new energy technology from us? If not then please explain where this technology is!! I bet there are many venture capitalist ready to fund one of these new energy sources. The fact that we don't see them says a lot.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hi op

funnily enough, fracking was on the news (uk)

Turns out that Lancashire is sitting on over 1000 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.

The local villages are mainly against it.
Lets see how that one spans out.

Francis Egan, Chief Executive of Cuadrilla Resources, made the claim after it was announced there is as much as 1,300 trillion cubic feet of shale gas in the Bowland Basin, which is made up of 11 counties in the North of England, including Lancashire. He said: “The potential [for Lancashire] is for up to 100 production sites, 10s of thousands jobs, community benefits of hundreds of millions if not higher and potentially gas prices lower than otherwise would have been. “Lancashire is at the forefront of this, the opportunity for Lancashire, much like Aberdeen did in the beginning of north sea oil industry, is to be the leading centre for shale gas in UK if not Europe.” The British Geological Survey says while the findings don’t mean that the entire amount could be extracted for use, it will give an indication of how best to plan for exploratory drilling.

www.lep.co.uk...
edit on 2012/06/12 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

If all cars and everything turned from Oil to natural gas, it would not only be 10,000 percent cheaper but also cleaner and safer to remove from the Earth...

no, that would drive up the cost of the natural gas, as per the laws of supply and demand.
... oh! the delusions of the useless eaters.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal

no, that would drive up the cost of the natural gas, as per the laws of supply and demand.
... oh! the delusions of the useless eaters.

Delusions?? That is a good one......It will eventually, but how much was gas for your car 20 years ago? By that time maybe we find a better solution....In the short term while searching, we can save TONS of money....But why would you care about saving money? Apparently you have enough to feed big oil, so good for you....

ETA: In the meantime after gas takes over oil, guess what happens to the price of Oil while demand is low? Yep it goes down!!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Pure propaganda!

Every time people go after natural resources (that we need) there is always a group of tree hugging, environmentalist, climate change fruit loops poised to cry about it. Face it, environmentalism is big business….probably rivaling big oil! Most often these groups peddle misleading information, half truths and bogus facts, so I’m not going to waste my time watching more of the same.

We need our natural resources! There is no ground-breaking new tech that will satisfy those needs so get over it.

Just my $.02

Why do we need so much natural resources? Oh yeah it's because these companies are shipping overseas what they take out of America.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The problem with the leakage of methane is that it is offsetting any benefits gas might have on climate change ( yes, I know this too is just made up, by the greenies...). Why is it we can't extract our natural resources without fu*#king up everything else around it??

P.S that's why I used "technology", it's called sarcasm. we track individuals and listen to there conversations but we can't get gas or anything else it seems, out of the ground without adverse consequences. I'll bet your two cents that you don't have fire coming out of your facet.

Researchers with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) ...

"… the research team reported new Colorado data that support the earlier work, as well as preliminary results from a field study in the Uinta Basin of Utah suggesting even higher rates of methane leakage — an eye-popping 9% of the total production. That figure is nearly double the cumulative loss rates estimated from industry data — which are already higher in Utah than in Colorado."...

"The most important result, however, in accord with the above authors, is that, unless leakage rates for new methane can be kept below 2%, substituting gas for coal is not an effective means for reducing the magnitude of future climate change." Source

P.S. The government in Australia is simply walking onto people’s land and starting to frack because "it's in the nations interest", yet all Australia natural gas comes from the bass strait, guess where the gas is going ....china

edit on 28-6-2013 by MindpurelyMind because: add on

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Why do we need so much natural resources? Oh yeah it's because these companies are shipping overseas what they take out of America.

Because we use more than anyone else!

Why should American companies only sell domestically?? Are you an isolationist? Do you not believe in the free trade and global market? What business is it of yours if any company sell overseas?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Umm the US is one of the top consumer of natural resources in the world. The main exports are post fabrication products, specifically mechanical and technological products...

USA is a consumer of natural resources so fret not, the natural gas stay domestically. Untill the country gains energy independence a very small portion of natural resources (related to energy) will be exported.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

No I don't have fire coming out of my faucet....Have you ever heard of Marcellus shale? I live in the middle of it.....Yeah about 2,000 wells all around me, 2 on my property.....My grandma has 12 gas wells on her property and strangely enough, her faucets aren't on fire neither....

It's a load of crap unless you experience fracking first hand like us Pennsylvanians do!!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Don’t you think if alternative technology was available and affordable there would be many companies capitalizing on this new energy??

Oh sure companies that can basically charge what they want will go to a renewable source of energy. That won't happen because then they wouldn't be able to cry that a shortage is what causes the price to go up. Maybe you should check into a person named Nikola Tesla he came up with a way to give free energy to everyone. But when his backers found out they wouldn't make any money from it they backed out.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

Umm the US is one of the top consumer of natural resources in the world. The main exports are post fabrication products, specifically mechanical and technological products...

USA is a consumer of natural resources so fret not, the natural gas stay domestically. Untill the country gains energy independence a very small portion of natural resources (related to energy) will be exported.

Do some checking we have been exporting as much as we import. Our oil production has been going up for years now.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

It would seem your all YOUR methane is being vented correctly.

Thank God it only stays in the atmosphere for ten years. Your kids thank you.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Do some checking we have been exporting as much as we import. Our oil production has been going up for years now.

Okay, here you go:

As estimates for the amount of U.S. natural gas resources have grown, so have the prospects of
rising U.S. natural gas exports. The United States is expected to go from a net importer of natural
gas to a net exporter by 2020. Projects to export liquefied natural gas (LNG) by tanker ship have
been proposed—cumulatively accounting for about 12.5% of current U.S. natural gas
production

Far from the 50% you are inferring. However you concerns of growing exports seems to be reaffirmed in this government article...

Source
edit on 28-6-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join