It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover Bt Toxins Found In Monsanto Crops Damage Red Blood Cells

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Posting and sharing this for all those that continue to think that GM food substances are harmless and the same as non GM food sources.

Dr. Mezzomo and his team of Scientists from the Department of Genetics and Morphology and the Institute of Biological Sciences, at University of Brasilia recently published a study that involved Bacillus thuringensis (Bt toxin) and its effects on mammalian blood. According to the study, the “Cry” toxins that are found in Monsanto’s GMO crops like corn and soy, are much more toxic to mammals than previously thought. The study was published in the Journal of Hematology and Thromboembolic Diseases

Dr. Mezzomo and his team are not the only group of scientists to discover the harmful effects of Bt toxins. Professor Joe Cummins, Professor Emeritus of Genetics at the University of Western Ontario has also studied it (2)(3)(4). He concluded that that there is sufficient evidence that the Bt toxin will impact directly on human health through damaging the ileum, which is the final section of the small intestine that is responsible for the absorption of vitamin B12.

www.collective-evolution.com...

There is now mounting evidence to indicate that GM foods are damaging to other flora and fauna on our planet. Not only that many of them contain a far lower level of nutrients compared to non GM food substances. It is apparent that companies are tinkering with foods in a way that the implications are not fully understood. If these foods are not banned then at the very lest they should be labelled so that the consumer has a choice..

In the light of this evidence I will happily challenge any pro GM advocates on this thread who still deem that GM foods are safe for human consumption.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Posting and sharing this for all those that continue to think that GM food...

Perhaps you are unaware, but
- the Bt toxin is a natural thing, found in non-GM foods,
- there are many many different types of GM products, and the Bt toxin issue does not apply to them all.

As I've said before:

One of the issues I find continuously with the GMO discussions is the "lump it all in the same bucket" argument. Here we we see it again.

And its also clear that you didnt bother to go back and read the ORIGINAL SOURCE, because if you did, then you'd read:

In this context, Bacillus thuringiensis ( Bt ), a gram-positive, rod-shaped, spore-forming bacterium, is the most important biopesticide sold worldwide [7,8], having been used for over 40 years by organic farmers who spray it as a foliar insecticide.

...and only a single passing reference in one sentence to GM crops.

But, no, if YOUR mind, obviously the equation is a simple "Bt toxin=GMO=EVIL"

Next time, before you post a thread, I urge you to read up on the topic you're discussing so you learn something about it first, and preferably by reading the original source material.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Ah, and
P.S. This has already been posted before:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
LOL. Thread killer.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Just to clarify, is Bt toxin found in or on non GM foods?
from my understanding it is a soil dwelling bacterium also found in the gut of caterpillars , now unless you are saying that caterpillars are a non GM food i think you may be trying to blur the lines here.

Bt toxin is sprayed on the surface of the plant and can be washed off prior to eating, that is a bit different than ingesting the toxin itself.
certain chemicals are systemic which go through the plant requiring a rest period that a product cannot be harvested until a specific time frame has been reached and the toxicity has reduced to safe levels for consumption, placing BT toxin in a plant gives no such time frame to leave the plants sysem nor can you wash it out.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I wanna read you saying "Monsanto is good".

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

That is interesting that organic farmers can use Bacillus thuringiensis as a pesticide, thanks for that information.

However, I wonder how long Bacillus thuringiensis survives on the outside of a plant when used as a bio-pesticide? A GM plant with the BT gene is constantly producing the toxin and can't be washed away from the food before consumption. It seems logical to assume that the Bacillus thuringiensis can be washed away somehow during harvest.

ETA: I see that this was just mentioned by munkey66. I was typing too slow.
edit on 28-6-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last lines

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

Just to clarify, is Bt toxin found in or on non GM foods?
from my understanding it is a soil dwelling bacterium also found in the gut of caterpillars , now unless you are saying that caterpillars are a non GM food i think you may be trying to blur the lines here.

Bt toxin is sprayed on the surface of the plant and can be washed off prior to eating, that is a bit different than ingesting the toxin itself.
certain chemicals are systemic which go through the plant requiring a rest period that a product cannot be harvested until a specific time frame has been reached and the toxicity has reduced to safe levels for consumption, placing BT toxin in a plant gives no such time frame to leave the plants sysem nor can you wash it out.

Exactly... this is the same argument that pro water flouride people make... "If flouride was bad for you it wouldn't be in toothpaste. Clearly the difference being that you don't swallow toothpaste.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
If you eat too much of the Bt organism, your body will increase it's inflammation response. This increase in imflammation can result in the destruction of parts of our own body by what is considered an autoimmune response. When this happens, I assume that the macrophages would tag the T cells to create an antigen against the Bt proteins. If this happens then the body may start being allergic to anything containing the Bt aflotoxins or proteins. Bt is found in almost every food we produce, it is common in the soil. I can see that becoming allergic to Bt is very bad. To put a bandaid on the problem the food scientists introduce chemistry to kill Macrophages so they cannot tag the T cells. I see a big conspiracy that is evolving because of the coverup that is evolving. I see a severe health concern in the future of the parts of the world that consume these foods.

This is speculation on my part, using what I have learned to predict the eventual possible outcome of all this change in the chemistry of our foods. Antigens don't seem to be so much of a problem in type O blood, but if the bloodcells are modified I see that there will be even worse consequences. The information from this article may apply more to that bloodtype.

What I am talking about is an indirect consequence of adding Bt genetics to our food, it does not mean that these companies can be held directly responsible under the present laws governing food safety in the USA. It is a side effect, one that is possibly being covered up and denied as a direct result of their profiting by this technology. After all, it is our own bodies that are overreacting, it isn't their product. Autoimmune diseases will continue their increase as a stable income for the health care industry.

It is a good time to invest in Pharmaceuticals and medical stock.
edit on 28-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

They are now making a GMO flu vaccine from virus found in the gut of caterpillars as well.
Claiming its better for you because there's no mercury or egg in it .

Uh huh .
The FDA has approved it already .
Two people died in test trials I believe ,which was in the original insert,but has since been removed .

NEW GMO FLU VACCINE APPROVED BY THE FDA; FDA once again misleads the public.

Posted on February 10, 2013 by Staff

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced it has approved the use of a new flu vaccine, manufactured by using an insect virus expression system and recombinant DNA technology. The vaccine is a trivalent, meaning that it is a combination of three flu strains. For the 2012 – 2013 influenza season it is formulated to contain each of the following 3 influenza virus strains: A/California/7/2009 (H1N1), A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2), and B/Wisconsin/1/2010.

The vaccine is called simply Flublock. The FDA claims to have tested the product on approximately 2500 people, with a few “minor” side effects, and warns about a possible major side effect, including Guillian Barre syndrome, (GBS). GBS is usually characterized by rapidly developing motor weakness and the absence of reflexes. The vaccine product information sheet can be obtained from the FDA website accessible here. Continue reading →

www.foodexposed.co.za...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

If you take the logical links down to the genetic level it is correct. The macro point is the central point here. Monsanto is either wrong or lying about safety of at least one of their products. In either case, how could you expect any reasonable person to believe them or their sponsored science when they tell you something is safe? Are the scientists and corporate officers willing to volunteer theirs kids for experiments? If so, I'll change my mind.

I believe that corporations are machines. They are soulless. Neither good nor evil. They do two things --generate profit and grow. There is no restraint, no morality, no introspection and no stewardship of the bioeffectivity of the human genus. They could wipe out humans passively, like a steamroller smashing a gopher while making a road.
edit on 28-6-2013 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike.Ockizard
LOL. Thread killer.

LOL. Thread killer killed.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Actually it has more to do with the fact there is a thread from only a few days ago on the very same topic using the very same source, and the very same arguments are put forward.
To continue this thread, one might as well just cut and paste everything from there:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Actually it has more to do with the fact there is a thread from only a few days ago on the very same topic using the very same source, and the very same arguments are put forward.
To continue this thread, one might as well just cut and paste everything from there:

Other thread wouldn't be the same, without your enjoyable posts.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Then you have to start to wonder....Should we even be using Bt as a pesticide on such large scale? If everyone started to use it on everything, we would have a similar accumulative effect from over concentrating organic toxins. I think diversification of compatible chemistry and no GMO would be the best solution. If there is no need for a pesticide, you shouldn't spray it. Cant do that with Bt, it is always being renewed. Bt sprayed corn is still considered organic by the regulations in effect in the USA and many countries. It doesn't mean it is healthy.
edit on 28-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Not the same at all, as you and I have discussed.

While Bt toxin does appear naturally in the environment, it does not normally occur in conjunction with soil, insects and plant surfaces
www.nationofchange.org...

- there are many many different types of GM products, and the Bt toxin issue does not apply to them all.

They are all toxins!

S&F OP!
Go go!

To Mosanto and these other Corporate Chemical companies and those who support them,
if you dont like the heat get away from the fire.
edit on 28-6-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
We're all going to DIE!!! We might all be dead by tomorrow for reasons completely unknown to us! Holy s**t doesn't that scare you!!?? Seriously who cares?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Sure, let's ignore the point of the thread and say it occurs naturally! It doesn't matter if it damages red blood cells, it's "natural", and that's all that matters.

There are a lot of bad things that occur naturally, but that doesn't mean they are all good for you.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
It doesn't matter if it damages red blood cells...

As I said before, there is a thread from only a few days ago on the very same topic using the very same source, and the very same arguments are put forward.

To quote from that thread:

The mice were fed preparations of the toxin at doses of 27 mg/Kg, 136 mg/Kg or 270 mg/Kg.
So in human terms, that would amount to something like 2 to 20 grams of Bt toxin.

Can you think of any circumstances where you are ever likely to be fed 2 - 20 grams of pure Bt toxin, every day?
Frankly, at those doses, I'm not surprised some effects were seen.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Everything occurs naturally. Even radiation (from the Sun). Low levels would mean that most of current life on the planet would die off. High levels would mean the same. But just the right amount allows species to evolve.

Same is with toxins found in the GM food - some are harmless and are good and some are bad. The real issue is that people need a chance to make their choice. GM and organic food needs to be labeled as such.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join